Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I would suggest you take the machine to a repair shop for a good overhaul. The benefit of this is you can also get some advice on how to use it. You should not have needed to take the top off to get to parts that needed oil. It is possible you have some build up that is gumming up the works. Sewing machine oil is measured in _drops_ and is only needed according to the manufacturer's directions. Any more is at best unneeded and at worst can cause problems. You may have to play with the presser foot tension. That's one problem with twisting and turning knobs and dials when you don't know what they do. That's not a dis... we've all done it at one time or another. Typical newbie exuberance. The timing sounds off and there may be an issue with the feed dogs. But all in all I would invest a few bucks in this machine before I pulled the trigger on an Amazon special that will come without the personal attention of a live person to help you learn the ropes.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Sounds to me like you are having problems with your hook and or hook timing.There is a bunch of info out there,question is whether you can find it specific to your machine.Too bad you can not get a manual as it would give you specific instructions on how to calibrate yours.Here is a simple video which shows you the basics.....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lT98wbDLVco

Seems that,in typical brother style that the info you need is there for a fee.........http://www.sewingmachinemanual.net/S...ion_manual.htm

Hammock
    Dutchwear Hexon 2.4
    Tarp
    KeltyNoah12
    Insulation
    HGIncub20UQ MH20TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Yeah, there are manuals, but not free, at least that I could find.

We have surprisingly few shops here and they all want $80-$125 for service. I just don't think the machine is worth that kind of investment.

I will watch the videos and try to do some more research to try and get this thing running right on the cheap.

I've read some reviews and gotten some opinions on another thread asking what a decent new machine would be and I may go with a Singer 4411 if I can't get this thing going soon.

Any other tips are welcome and thanks for all the help. I'll update my progress or lack thereof.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SpitballJedi View Post
    We have surprisingly few shops here and they all want $80-$125 for service. I just don't think the machine is worth that kind of investment.
    The machine is worth whatever you think it is. and that's your prerogative. For me.... for a gear making machine, I'd opt for the service but that's my own bias coming through. In terms of full disclosure.... I hate Amazon and only do business with them when all other options fail. So take that in mind. Modern Singers should be marked as toys IMO and there's another issue to be clear on. So As always... you follow your bliss and I'll follow mine.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Glad to be of help. try to find a manual if at all possible- it will help. Try checking local/ on-line used book stores.
    As to the skipping- use a new/ sharp needle -size10 to 14 are used the most in gear making.
    The material bunching could be caused by too much presser foot pressure - back that off some. Also check for any gummed up residue on the presser foot or feed dog also check for any burrs. (often caused by breaking needles). I just looked back on your second pic (of the rear of your machine) and it looks like the throat plate is not seated properly, it should be below the rear screw head not above it- need to fix that.
    As ramblinrev suggests, before spending $$$+++ on a new plastic machine (not worth it- for a gear machine) take your machine in for service, you will be much happier in the end with your solid/ all metal thread injector and if taken care of it will give you long life and excellent service.
    On the money you will be saving- order some material from the cottage venders here and begin the fall into the bowels of DIY and make some gear.

Hammock
    Dutchwear Hexon 2.4
    Tarp
    KeltyNoah12
    Insulation
    HGIncub20UQ MH20TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    I've been watching videos a lot and reading a lot and with y'alls help, I'm feeling more confident I can get this thing going without it costing a fortune.

I've reading and watching videos on troubleshooting as well as comparisons about old vs new machines.

I will pick up some quality thread and new needles fiddle some more trying to dial it in. I'm just fiddling with the simple fixes and adjustments until I feel it's beyond my ability and have it serviced if need be.

I think for the same money, this machine will last longer than a new one.

I will annoy you with progress updates...

Yeah, there are manuals, but not free, at least that I could find.

I will watch the videos and try to do some more research to try and get this thing running right on the cheap.

I've read some reviews and gotten some opinions on another thread asking what a decent new machine would be and I may go with a Singer 4411 if I can't get this thing going soon.

Any other tips are welcome and thanks for all the help. I'll update my progress or lack thereof.
    I have a Brother sewing machine in my closet and two Singers in use.Why?Because Brother wants me to pay for the operators manual.Not saying one is better than the other but support goes a long way!

I've been watching videos a lot and reading a lot and with y'alls help, I'm feeling more confident I can get this thing going without it costing a fortune.

I've reading and watching videos on troubleshooting as well as comparisons about old vs new machines.

I will pick up some quality thread and new needles fiddle some more trying to dial it in. I'm just fiddling with the simple fixes and adjustments until I feel it's beyond my ability and have it serviced if need be.

I think for the same money, this machine will last longer than a new one.

I will annoy you with progress updates...
    Bet it is a bent needle.

Hammock
    DIY 11ft Hammock
    Tarp
    3m x3m MYOG Camo
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Amsteel
    I made some vids that might help you

https://youtu.be/SHYfcgiQ2DU

https://youtu.be/8KJwkgDltuI

Tacblades

Hammock
    Dutchwear Hexon 2.4
    Tarp
    KeltyNoah12
    Insulation
    HGIncub20UQ MH20TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Actually, I've seen them and your videos are what actually gave me the new hope, especially the thread tension one. My bobbin housing was way too tight, but I haven't had time to mess with it again. Thank you.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast