Dutchwear Hexon 2.4
    Tarp
    KeltyNoah12
    Insulation
    HGIncub20UQ MH20TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling

Questions about new-to-me sewing machine

A friend gave me this sewing machine and it seems to be working. It's been sitting in a garage for about 10 years though.

It powers up, everything turns, not noisy, parts look clean and rust-free. It is heavy.

It's a belt driven Brother made in Japan and that's all I know. There's no model number anywhere that I can find except a number stamped in the metal under the base, AA113360. I typed that and Brother in to Google and got two hits, both irrelevant.

Does anyone know anything about this machine, will it be useful for DIY gear, or if I should do anything to it before I use it? ANy advice, tips, or information would be very helpful. I thought I'd give this one a try befre I bought one, which I can do if this one isn't any good.

IMG_0119.jpgIMG_0120.jpgIMG_0121.jpg

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.7
    Tarp
    Edge w/doors
    Insulation
    UQ:CS 5 TQ:CS 7.5
    Suspension
    Webbing, buckles

Hammock
    Dutchwear Hexon 2.4
    Tarp
    KeltyNoah12
    Insulation
    HGIncub20UQ MH20TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Thanks, dude. That's the one. I think it needs a belt. The one it has seems dry and loose.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Even if it needs more than a belt it looks like a keeper to me. All you need for gear making is straight stitch.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    As Rev said, that'll do ya. I love vintage machines. Any sewing machine shop should have a belt for you. Keep us updated
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Several DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG Inc. 20/Bur. 30
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    You may be able to adjust the loose belt. If it has small cracks it’s time to change it. If you can find a new for a fair price change it.
    Last weekend I was more or less in the same situation. The two belts in my “new” machine was tired. I looked around but could not find any for a fair price so I took them off cleaned the wheels and gave the belts some belt spray. They may not be as new but it helped a lot. I would say it improved them by 70%. Do not use belt spray directly on the machine!
    Just remember belt spray isn’t free so if you haven’t got it look for a new belt first so you can compare the costs. New is better.
    I assume its a V-belt if not i am not sure the spray will work or is good for it.
    If there is nothing left to learn it’s time to die.
    Live and learn.

Before using the machine I would recommend giving it a good oiling with SEWING MACHINE OIL- not 3-n-1 oil, not 10/40 oil, and not gun oil. You will also want to run the 'new to you ' machine with a new needle ( #12/ or #14) and some scrap material. This will help in distributing the oil throughout the machine and give you a chance to set/ adjust the thread tension and stitch length (@7or 8 stitches to the inch is normal for the DIY). practice and have fun.
    by the way- it looks to be a solid machine ie.- no plastic- I think you'll be happy with it

Hammock
    Dutchwear Hexon 2.4
    Tarp
    KeltyNoah12
    Insulation
    HGIncub20UQ MH20TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    I got this machine all oiled up. I took the top off to get to those parts, got the moving parts underneath, as well as in the front. I think I got all the moving parts, at least the ones I can see.

I'm having trouble getting it to sew though. I adjusted everything that has a knob or wheel for adjustment and I can't seem to get the tension right. I keep getting a big pile of thread underneath and it keeps getting hung up.

The problem seems to be with the thread coming from the top and fed through the needle. I used black thread for the needle and beige thread in the bobbin. The black thread makes big loops underneath and then just hanging up and/or breaking.

check your manual and be sure that you are threading the top thread correctly. using your first pic.- from spool to vertical thread guide (which is sticking up above the top of the machine)- then down to the tension disc's (on the right side of disc and around to the left side and up so the thread is caught by the little hook on the left of the tension disc assembly and the spring- then up through the horizontal thread guide to the takeup arm- through the eye of the arm- then down through the horizontal thread guide again- through the guide on the needle bar and through the eye of the needle. this is the way most all machines are threaded. you might also check to make sure that your tension disc is functioning properly by pulling some thread through with the presser foot down. you should feel some resistance while pulling. the presser foot being down is important as some machines have a tension release which activates when the presser foot is raised. sorry I should have asked- have you sewn before or is this a maiden voyage into the unknown? If experienced then forgive my long winded explain.

Hammock
    Dutchwear Hexon 2.4
    Tarp
    KeltyNoah12
    Insulation
    HGIncub20UQ MH20TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Thank you for the instructions. I did not realize how the tension disc worked and therefore did not have it thread through it like you describedand that soved the problem. That was the missing piece.

I have sewn before, but your info was very helpful. It doesn't have a manual either.

Now, it skips a lot of stitches and it doesn't pull the bottom thread back up in to the fabric evenly. I tried several different adjustments on the tension and tested it like you suggested and the part seems to be working.

Also, the material bunches up behind the foot a lot worse than I remember my old cheap one doing. I have to constantly put just the right amount of pull on it or everything gets bound up again.

The electrical cables need to be replaced , too. I'm sure they are the originals and have some cracking and exposed wiring. I could do it, but I'm not sure I want to put money in to a machine that may not ever really perform well.

This was a free machine and it's very old. I have a new one on my Amazon wish list that I'm waiting to pull the trigger on.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast