Tarp
    Topless
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    DIY UCR

EDC Hammock

Hey everyone,
    I’m looking for some input from HF on a new hammock purchase. Right now I have my WBBB XLC which is great and serves all of my hammock camping needs but I don’t have anything that I would consider a casual hammock. So, I’m looking to buy what I’ve come to think of as my Every Day Carry Hammock. I’m looking to buy a single person hammock which is extremely lightweight and has a small pack size. I’m hoping to find a hammock setup that is so minimalist that I can take it with me anywhere I go on any given day, just in case the opportunity for a hang presents itself, or throw it in my pack alongside my WB for nights when a full setup isn’t necessary.

Right now, I have identified the following (in no particular order) as potential candidates:
    Dutchware Single, 7.4oz, 11'
    Hummingbird Single, 5.2oz, 8'8"
    ENO Sub7, 6.5 oz, 8'9"
    DD Superlight, 9.52 0z (including suspension), 8'10"
    Grand Trunks Nano 7, 7.4 oz, 9'
    AntiGravityGear Quicksilver Ultralight Hammock, 8.3 oz, 11'
    ButtInASling Weight Weenie Mirco, 7.52 oz, 11'

Some of these options don’t include suspension systems and some do. Suspension systems are a topic in which I am not well versed. What is the lightest suspension system that I should employ? Also, am I missing an obvious option that I should be considering? What does everyone think of the idea of an EDC Hammock? I would appreciate any and all feedback, suggestions and experiences!

Also, size is a consideration, I’m 6’1” and am used to my WBBB XLC. I don’t have any experience with a shorter hammock so any perspective you could provide on the topic would be much appreciated.
    Last edited by cincihangs; 02-12-2016 at 13:11. Reason: Updating to include hammock length

I have the ENO ProNest. Keep it under the motorcycle seat. Mostly used as a chair. The ProNest is discontinued and be bought at a discount. Decent day hammock.

Hammock
    WBBB RR DBL 1.1 / DIY Multicam SL
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG CF
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch Clip

EDC Hammock

You didn't list lengths on any of those hammocks. That will change the comfort for some of those.

For me it depends on what I am doing. Am I camping with the scouts for the weekend in one spot. I would typically take my Warbonnet RR. Is it buggy out and traveling a short distance. I might take either the RR or the XLC. Am I traveling distance and light. I would probably take my Dutch 11' with or without the net depending on year. So it might just be what are you doing with the hammock.

If you just want one to hang anywhere you can to soak up the nice weather and travel by car does it matter how much it weighs.
    Husband, Father, and Friend.
    Scout Master and Cub Master for Troop/Pack 705 of
    Chesterfield

Hammock
    DIY 11ft
    Tarp
    DIY - SilPoly 2.0
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield 5
    Suspension
    UCR
    Images
    At your height I would eliminate anything under 10.5 ft.
    Personally I would probably opt for the Dutch.
    I carry an diy 11' with 6' tree straps and 6' UCRs. Packs about the size of a softball and lives under the seat of my truck. Great for upcoming spring days to lounge in at lunch.

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    My only hammock I use is my DIY single layer ripstop nylon gathered end with Continuous Loops(CL). Made it many years ago and still going.
    For bugs, I made a Fronkey style bugnet.
    For suspension, I use 6'straps and 6' Amsteel leads with Dutch Speed Hook.

I had Whoopie Slings before I changed it to CL and Speed Hooks on the same hammock. The hammock cost 4 yards of fabric at $1.50 from Walmart and I just cut to a little over 10' and hemmed the edges.

This is my EDC hammock and it cannot get any easier for me to set up just for a day use. Overnight, I get the bugnet if needed and insulation and tarp.

If I was to go with your choices, I would get the Dutch hammock or BIAS hammock for the length and craftsmanship. The best Customer Service if something were to go wrong.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    I would toss out another option. The Bushman Hammock Chair: If you're looking for a light weight option that will just give you a place to sit down, kick back and put your feet up for a bit then a full size hammock is well more than you need. Packs to the size of a grapefruit and includes suspension...which we can customize to be either the fast and easy to use webbing with cinch buckles or the more compact whoopie sling kit.

http://www.arrowhead-equipment.com/s...ock_Chair.html

Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    ^This. I just bought one of these not long ago and modified the suspension a bit. Precisely for that reason, wanted a lightweight go to hammock chair type deal for breaks during trips or for dayhiking. It's now my favorite piece of gear. With the system I worked out I've gotten it down to just under 5 ounces. I simply love this hammock chair. Simple but brilliant. And oh the sweet sweet comfort during the lunch break.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    It depends on what you want to do with your EDC hammock. For just having a place to sit or lounge for an hour, a small hammock will do. But if you want to take a nap or use it for a couple of hours, at your size I'd go with an 11' hammock. In the latter case, you might also give some consideration to the fabric. Light fabric means thin fabric. Thin fabric means lots of stretch. Unless you go with polyester. If you are fine with stretch, go for it. If not, you'll have to either go with a heavier or smaller hammock.

Quote Originally Posted by cincihangs View Post
    Suspension systems are a topic in which I am not well versed. What is the lightest suspension system that I should employ?
    Again, it depends on what your priorities are. There recently was a thread by a member who built some UCRs from Lash-It. While not exactly recommended, it can be done, but you should be aware that there is very little safety margin and that you could end up on the ground unexpectedly anytime. If you stick with options considered to be safe (enough), you have a couple of options. Look up mule tape suspensions, Dynaglide or Kevlar straps. I'd say that mule tape is probably the best compromise between weight, ease of set-up and cost. But ultimately it's a matter of taste.

Hammock
    11' Hexon 1.6, Poly D 1.3
    Tarp
    HG Standard Cuben
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    12' tree straps to
    Images
    My Eno Sub7 is not my favorite for sleeping all night because I like to move around more than it lets me. That said, I love how small it packs up and use it all the time to lounge in my studio. If you're not planning on sleeping full nights in it, I think a full length one would be overkill.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Topless
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    DIY UCR
    Hey Guys,

Thank you all for the input. I appreciate the help. I hadn't considered that a shorter hammock may serve as my EDC Hammock best considering that I will be using it more casually as opposed to spending entire nights in it. I also really like the AHE Bushman Hammock. I may have to get this one as well...

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast