Whipper - 10ft NylonD
    Tarp
    DIY DCF w/doors
    Insulation
    DIY Down/Argon 67
    Suspension
    Dyneema Becket
    Images
    I think if you're going for compactness and lightweight, a shorter hammock is definitely worth a shot.

I am one of those crazies who made whoopie slings out of 1.75mm dyneema. It can be done, but I also can't in good conscience recommend others follow my lead. It is for my EDC hammock, and weight is the priority. Which is why it is really small, 4x8. And it's made out of Argon 67. I also use the (now obsolete ) 3.3 kevlar tree straps and MYOG Cuben Fiber stuff sack. This gets me a day use hammock with suspension and bag for 4.4oz. Packs down to baseball size if I compress it. if you use 2.2 kevlar for 6' straps, you could shave almost an ounce off that.

All that to say, you can go nearly as light as you like. I have done it mostly for the challenge and to see if it's possible. Also, it's pretty hard to turn down a comfy backcountry seat, and usually napping bed, for a scant 4.4oz. So, even though I fully expect to be dropped on my butt any time now (I have been using it 3-5/week for the last couple months for naps, and on 3 occassions overnight in my basement) I call it a success.

Having used an ENO Sub7 for a bit, I recommend it as an off the shelf option. If you pair that with a pair of dynaglide whoopie slings and Kevlar 2.2 tree straps, you will have a very light, compact hammock that most people would consider to be reliable. I also found, after some tweeking, I could sleep comfortably overnight in the Sub7. Might be worth a shot; shave a couple sticks of butter off the weight of your kit...

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    I use a Grand Trunk Double with all amsteel suspension w/ tree straps and Dutch clips for my EDC. (whoopies and soft shackles)

It drops into a cargo pocket and I hike out with the dog.

Yes, I could sew something else up, maybe work the suspension a little bit but honestly, I don't even notice the hammock in my pocket when I'm out for a walk and it's great for taking a break at snack time, rest time, nap time or just to hang and watch the sun set. I keep it in my truck at all times.
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Topless
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    DIY UCR
    Hey everyone,

Right now I'm looking at the Hummingbird Single and the Eno Sub 7. They're both extremely similar in specs (see below). So I was wondering if anyone has ever done a direct comparison between the two products? I wonder what the differences are in craftsmanship, finish, reliability, comfort of the fabric, how much it stretches, etc. Has anyone ever used both who could provide some insight? Thanks!

Hummingbird Single - 5.2 oz, 8'8" x 3'11", 300lb limit
    ENO Sub7 - 6.5 oz, 8'9" x 3'11", 300lb limit

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon W 1.6
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator E 10°
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    What about AHE's Bushman Hammock Chair? It's like a mini hammock: http://www.arrowhead-equipment.com/s...ock_Chair.html

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Topless
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    DIY UCR
    I actually did look at the AHE Hammock Chair and ended up getting one from Paul not too long ago. I love it and can't wait to take it out with me on my next canoeing trip!

But I still find myself thinking of a really light full size hammock. I've now narrowed it down the Hummingbird and the Eno. Let me know if anyone has used both and has an opinion one way or the other!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Sierra Sniveler
    Images
    I really like my DD Superlight hammock. I carry it either in my camera bag (fits where a lens will fit) or in my general travel bag. I can put it in the side pocket of a bag and not even notice it. It comes with all the suspension too in the same space. Its fairly comfortable but I'm not sure if I would long term camp with it. I have a WBBB for camping and sleeping in. I love how small the Superlight is and how easy it is to carry anywhere. I think something like the ENO Sub 7 is very similar but I don't think that includes suspension. I used to carry my ENO DN everyone but the Superlight is a 1/3 the size.

Hammock
    Dutch 11 Single Nylon
    Tarp
    cuben
    Insulation
    40* down, full.
    Suspension
    Dyneema straps.
    Quote Originally Posted by pgibson View Post
    I would toss out another option. The Bushman Hammock Chair: If you're looking for a light weight option that will just give you a place to sit down, kick back and put your feet up for a bit then a full size hammock is well more than you need. Packs to the size of a grapefruit and includes suspension...which we can customize to be either the fast and easy to use webbing with cinch buckles or the more compact whoopie sling kit.

http://www.arrowhead-equipment.com/s...ock_Chair.html

i like this idea...

for regular hammocking i love my dutch 11 singles.

Hammock
    Custom Dutch 8'x4'
    Tarp
    MYOG Cuben Asym
    Insulation
    WM Everlite pod
    Suspension
    Simply 7/64
    To me the EDC is like the just in case windbreaker on daytrips. It should be small, light, and really easy to set up. I have a Sub7 and love it. It packs small, the fabric is comfy, and i like the dimensions. But i paid half price for mine, 70 dollars is unreasonable for a single layer hammock. So i would suggest a single layer from Dutch. He does custom sizes, has great prices, and generally makes and ships products unbelievably fast. I had a very small single layer hammock made by Dutch out of Hexon 1.0, it weighs under 4oz and packs about 2/3 the size of the Sub7, and cost only 38 dollars.

As far as shorter hammocks go, I think i use the shortest hammock on this entire forum, at 7'10" long by 3'10" wide, and i am 6'1", 180lbs. I actually sleep in this hammock and love it, but i wouldn't recommend it. If it's just a cruiser hammock and you don't expect to get diagonal, shorter can be alright. I will say though, the shorter you get, the more shoulder squeeze you get. I use an HMS carabiner with a WIDE head through the ends of the hammock, those act as a mini spreader which makes my hammock feel a bit longer. I actually kinda like a little shoulder squeeze, but i don't recommend it. For just chillin banana style (end to end) the sub7 is a comfy length at 8'9", just don't expect to lay flat and diagonal. But you can order that size from dutch for half the price.

As far as suspension, if i want to hang casual and have a beer close to home, i often use the good ol' Eno straps. Heavy and ugly, but pure laziness is an important factor for me in my chill hammock. Priorities. Again i would go with Dutch for suspension. Short Kevlar tree straps, whoopies w/hooks, and continuous loops through the hammock ends. That's the simple, ultralight, affordable, tried-and-true method.

Senior Member Squid In The Woods's Avatar
    Hammock
    Dutch 11' PolyD
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    HammockFan Anchors
    Thanks to this post I just ordered one of these chairs. When going for a day hike I'll bring my GT Nano. More often than not I won't even lay in it long because my 3 year old is running around. I won't be able to get out in the woods for months due to deployment but I can set this up where I work. A chair might be more work place acceptable than a full out hammock. We shall see.

Quote Originally Posted by pgibson View Post
    I would toss out another option. The Bushman Hammock Chair: If you're looking for a light weight option that will just give you a place to sit down, kick back and put your feet up for a bit then a full size hammock is well more than you need. Packs to the size of a grapefruit and includes suspension...which we can customize to be either the fast and easy to use webbing with cinch buckles or the more compact whoopie sling kit.

http://www.arrowhead-equipment.com/s...ock_Chair.html

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Topless
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    DIY UCR
    In addition to the AHE Hammock Chair I also picked up a Hummingbird Single as it seemed to be the lightest option and I found one at a reasonable price. No suspension though. I think I'm going to experiment with a UCR suspension as it seems to be the most minimalist option...

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast