90"x11' DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    UGQ WinterDream 11
    Insulation
    SnuggleBug
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle

SC/NC > CROWDERS MOUNTAIN STATE PARK>Feb. 20-21, 2016

Palmetto State Hangers invites you to a 1 Mile Hike-In and Hang at Crowders Mountain State Park. We will be on Backpacking Group Site #2. Firewood will be purchased and provided at the site. Running water and pit toilets are near the site. The site has picnic tables, a fire ring and a grill.

Cost: FREE for PSH Supporting Members
    $5 for all others. Kids are always FREE.

We will meet at 10:30am at the Sparrow Springs parking area to register and group up. *PLEASE* indicate on this event page if you are coming so we don't leave anyone behind. If you are arriving later in the day, be sure to check the gate closing time.

Directions:
    Address: 522 Park Office Ln, Kings Mountain, North Carolina 28086
    GPS: 35.213316, -81.293555

Local Directions: From southbound I-85, take exit 13 to Edgewood Road. At the top of the ramp turn left onto Edgewood Road. At the first stoplight, turn right onto Franklin Boulevard/Highway 74 and drive approximately two miles. At the second stoplight, turn left onto Sparrow Springs Road. Continue on Sparrow Springs Road for approximately two miles, and turn right again on Sparrow Springs Road. The main entrance to the park will be on the right in less than one mile. From northbound I-85, take exit 8 to NC 161. At the top of the ramp turn right onto NC 161 and drive approximately a quarter mile. Then turn left onto Lake Montonia Road/Pinnacle Road and follow it to its end at Sparrow Springs Road. Turn left at the stop sign onto Sparrow Springs Road.

***Important park information***
    Alcoholic beverages are prohibited.
    Firearms and other weapons are prohibited except that those with a proper permit may possess a concealed handgun in permitted areas and under the requirements of North Carolina G.S. 14-415.11. All firearms and weapons are prohibited in state park visitor centers and park offices.
    All campers must pre-register at park office or at self-registration box at pinnacle trailhead at visitor center. All vehicles must be parked at the visitor center. All campers must provide park with a tag and description of their vehicle(s) prior to going to the campground.
    Firewood provided at campground and purchased at the Visitor Center at time of check in. Firewood is sold in a locker system and there are approximately 20 pieces of wood per locker. The cost is $5.00 per locker. All fires must be attended at all times.
    Upon arrival at the park, you will be charged $2 per person over the capacity of 5.
    The park gate is closed and locked at the posted gate closing time. No one will be allowed in or out of the gate except in cases of emergencies. Anyone entering the park after the gate is closed is subject to citation. This is a moderate one mile hike in to the camping area.
    Lights required for those hiking to campground after dark; difficult hike to the campground in the dark! For safety reasons, no campers are allowed to hike park trails after gate closing hours, except to get equipment from their vehicle to the campground.
    For after-hours emergencies, campers will be provided an emergency pager phone number; no entry to park or exit from the park after gates are closed or prior to gate opening, except under emergency circumstances.
    Pets are allowed except in park buildings and swim areas, but they must be on a leash no longer than six feet and cannot be left unattended.
    Quiet hours are 10 PM to 7 AM
    Posted quiet hours are enforced. Building fires in undesignated areas is prohibited.
    Unlicensed vehicles, unregistered motorcycles, golf carts, ATV's and mini-bikes are prohibited with the exception of mobility-aid devices used by a mobility-impaired person. All vehicles are prohibited from walkways, trails and other areas not designated for such purposes. Campsite is a one mile hike from the parking lot. The only parking available for the campsite is at the Visitor Center Area. No overnight parking is allowed at the Linwood Access Area, Boulders Access Area, or outsite the park gates.
    Notes
    Site
    The park closing hours are as follows:
    November - February: 6 P.M.
    March, April, September, October: 8 P.M.
    May - August: 9 P.M.
    You MUST be 18 years or older to book sites on this campground
    Gates Opens at 8 AM year round. Gate closes at 8 PM March, April, September, October Gate closes at 9 PM May-August Gate closes at 6 PM November-February.
    North Carolina state park rules and regulations are posted in each park and enforced by rangers. Violating these rules and regulations is a misdemeanor and may result in a fine and revocation of permit.
    State vehicle and traffic laws are enforced, and the speed limit is 25 mph unless otherwise posted.
    Well water is available. The pump has been fixed. (5/4/10).
    North Carolina state parks are wildlife sanctuaries; no hunting is allowed and collecting plants, minerals and artifacts is prohibited. State fishing regulations are enforced.
    Campsite is a one mile hike from the parking lot.
    The only parking available for the campsite is at the Visitor Center Area. No overnight parking is allowed at the Linwood Access Area, Boulders Access Area, or outside the park gates.
    Last edited by Junebugdawn; 02-12-2016 at 10:50.
    Just me being me

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Palmetto State Hangers Treasurer <--Facebook Group Page
    [COLOR="#008000"][SIZE=2]SC Fall Sprawl 2016-Santee State Park - October 13-16---->

Hammock
    Blue Bean by Shug,Clark Tropical
    Tarp
    Shug Over,WBSF
    Insulation
    Crowsnest&amp;Burrow
    Suspension
    Once
    Date seems a little off.
    "I like grits,because they have no bones" Chet Atkins

Hammock
    90&quot;x11' DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    UGQ WinterDream 11
    Insulation
    SnuggleBug
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle
    Oops...thanks...fixed.
    Just me being me

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    [COLOR="#008000"][SIZE=2]SC Fall Sprawl 2016-Santee State Park - October 13-16---->

Hammock
    Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images
    Not really, you must be unaware of the new official PSH vehicle, it's a DeLorean. She said she didn't want to leave anyone behind!

Quote Originally Posted by Hickery View Post
    Date seems a little off.
    Give me more darkness said the blind man,
    Give me more folly said the fool,
    Give me stone silence said the deaf man,
    I didn't believe Sunday School.
    Phil Keaggy

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Dangerbird, 11'
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream,
    Insulation
    Klymit Hammock V
    Suspension
    Cinchbuckle Strap
    Yup...dates should be February 20 - 21, 2016

Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ WinterDream 11
    Insulation
    SnuggleBug
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtwheels View Post
    Not really, you must be unaware of the new official PSH vehicle, it's a DeLorean. She said she didn't want to leave anyone behind!
    Haha, you got it!
    Just me being me

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 1.6, 10' knotty mod
    Tarp
    Eno HouseFly
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Becket hitch
    I'm in!

Also I want to properly join PSH (and maybe score one of those super nifty cool patches if there are any left? ) so what better way to do it than in person instead of online.

We are on our own for food for this one yeah?

EDIT: Also serious question regarding the temps, I *just* ordered a 20 degree quilt from HG but it likely will not be here in time for the hang. Given the expense of the quilt, a 'hold over' isn't in the cards! I currently have the cheapo Nature Hike bag, and will pick up a wool blanket. Think that will be sufficient? Looks like 40s is the low so I'm going to plan for 'just above freezing'. I want to hang but I also want to you know, not die
    Last edited by The Tak; 02-12-2016 at 12:59.

Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ WinterDream 11
    Insulation
    SnuggleBug
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by The Tak View Post
    I'm in!

Also I want to properly join PSH (and maybe score one of those super nifty cool patches if there are any left? ) so what better way to do it than in person instead of online.

We are on our own for food for this one yeah?

EDIT: Also serious question regarding the temps, I *just* ordered a 20 degree quilt from HG but it likely will not be here in time for the hang. Given the expense of the quilt, a 'hold over' isn't in the cards! I currently have the cheapo Nature Hike bag, and will pick up a wool blanket. Think that will be sufficient? Looks like 40s is the low so I'm going to plan for 'just above freezing'. I want to hang but I also want to you know, not die
    Waking up to a frozen Tak would put a damper on the trip.
    It looks like Saturday night's low is 38° for Kings Mountain. In the forest, you can expect it to be a few degrees colder. Do you have anything to use for an UQ? Are you a cold or warm sleeper?
    Also, I will bring some patches so you can choose the one you want.
    Just me being me

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hammock
    WBBB, RR, Eno Dn
    Tarp
    WB SF, CB
    Insulation
    WB Mamba, UGQUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies, D Clips
    Love the Hike and Hangs, but I committed to the frozen butt hang. Have fun now.
    Straight out of Clayton.

Most physical hike: Grandfather Mountain, NC. Aug 13.

I don't need to make my pack lighter. I need to make my (_*_) lighter.

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 1.6, 10' knotty mod
    Tarp
    Eno HouseFly
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Becket hitch
    Quote Originally Posted by Junebugdawn View Post
    Waking up to a frozen Tak would put a damper on the trip.
    It looks like Saturday night's low is 38° for Kings Mountain. In the forest, you can expect it to be a few degrees colder. Do you have anything to use for an UQ? Are you a cold or warm sleeper?
    Also, I will bring some patches so you can choose the one you want.
    Hrrrrm the low was 41 when I checked, and just now it's showing 37 on google. It better quit dropping! My UQ is the Phoenix 20, no concerns there. It was hanging super loose at the fall sprawl and would probably have been too warm if I had a proper TQ. Seriously love that UQ. Expensive yes, but worth every penny and that's why when I finally decided to take the plunge on a proper TQ, it was going to come from Hammock Gear no question.

I'm going to keep an eye on the temps and hope they start coming back up as we get closer. I want to make it but I don't like this downward trend of temps. I have the time, I have the desire, I'm just missing the way to keep from being all froze and junk. The naturehike bag is rated by the manufacturer as 5c buuuuut....something about "20 bucks made in china for use while I'm finishing school purchase" doesn't exactly scream 'truth in advertising'.

Unless someone at HammockGear sees this and wants to expedite the order for the 20 degree burrow to Chapin, SC, then it's totally on!
    Last edited by The Tak; 02-13-2016 at 03:32.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast