Hammock
    Dutch
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    AHE quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie

And so it begins...my wife is going to hate all of you!

Got my AHE hammock and quilts home and now my son wants to throw out his tent and start hanging. Unfortunately the dogs went through the top of his tent last weekend so I've got to buy him something. I guess I'm gonna spend the new tent money on a hammock setup for him....and while I'm at it I might as well pass down my synthetic quilts and upgrade to down for me (no sense in letting the younger one carry the lightest gear, right?). That price tag is gonna hurt. It's what I wanted to begin with but I couldn't force myself to bite the bullet on it....and I just can't make myself get another synthetic set without trying out something new. I'm shopping around and found that loco libre has a 5% off sale if you buy 2 quilts so their 30 degree set will be around the same price as the hg 40 degree with 2oz of overstuff...unless I hear something real negative I'll probably be the proud new owner of a ghost pepper and habanero quilt set.

In the back of my head I keep telling myself to just get him the hammock and make do with a pad and sleeping bag for now but his pad and bag are just so BIG and heavy (it's all from car camping) it's almost feels like child abuse....that or maybe I'm just looking for an excuse to buy new stuff, who knows. Anyway, thanks for helping me spend all my money...
    If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas.

Hammock
    Robic XL 1.1oz 11'
    Tarp
    RSBTR PU4000 tarps
    Insulation
    UGQ 0* 20* 40* set
    Suspension
    Multi buckle web
    Sounds like a great reason to grab some downy goodness

UGQ also does a 5% rebate on 2 or more quilts and combo's on one order.
    Life is too Short to not feed the addiction....Hang on and explore the World

Hammock
    DIY 11ft Hammock
    Tarp
    3m x3m MYOG Camo
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Amsteel
    Hmm maybe just buy a new down lightweight bag for your son, and use a pad, save a ton of cash, and if you son doesnt take to hammock camping then he still has the bag for ground dwelling.

If he really loves the hammock then think about upgrading, because you know he will take one look at your new down gear and say hmm i was pretty cold last night dad how do i get warm like you

Then you can just go for two underquilts
    Tacblades

Hammock
    Dutch
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    AHE quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    The thing that irks me about a new lightweight down bag is that by the time I purchase that I'm close to half of what it would run to just grab a nice quilt. Guess I'll browse rei's website and see what their offerings are for now.
    If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas.

You can still use a TQ for ground dwelling if he doesn't take to hanging. Many people (backpackers) use them for the weight and space savings

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Canahang View Post
    You can still use a TQ for ground dwelling if he doesn't take to hanging. Many people (backpackers) use them for the weight and space savings
    This is exactly what my wife and I were considering as we were debating ground or hanging. The TQ would work well for both, but then we have no plans to be out in sub freezing temps.

Hammock
    DW 11' Hexon 1.6 Olive Green
    Tarp
    YO Walkabout Tarp
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag w/Pad
    Suspension
    DW Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Canahang View Post
    This is going to be my long term plan as well. I can't sleep in a mummy bag as it is - I sprawl too much - and use it as a comforter more or less when I ground sleep. A TQ will be lighter and warmer if undo things right. Good luck!

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    Sounds like a good reason to me to upgrade. He'll be much more comfortable with your hand me down synthetic quilt and you will be happier too!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    0 Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Let's get this straight...your wife is going to hate...you. We're just here helping you spend your money!

Sounds like a great plan...bite the bullet and go for it. And yes it sounds like child abuse to me...yes...that should be your line when your wife asks why your son couldn't just use his old sleeping bag. Strong moral convictions will make her shy away from that argument
    Between every two pines is a doorway to a new world.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    She should/will be proud of you. Your doing an activity with your son in the great outdoors)))) Life Changer!
    I agree that he should use his sleeping bag as TQ and a pad. Earn his way into more comfort. Learn the ways of the hammock quest by doing.
    Whooooooo Buddy
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast