Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    DryFly
    Insulation
    EE TQ / HG UG
    Suspension
    Dutched whoopies
    I believe I read somewhere that they do not work well with Kevlar. IRRC Kevlar really only excels with a MSH.

Quote Originally Posted by Kroma View Post
    so if I want something I can adjust up and down the strap easier I should go with the Spider?

Also, can I just attach these to the tree huggers I already have? (sewn loops on each end)
    Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    Not sure why you'd even want to do that. What's your suspension set-up?
    whoopie slings on 5 ft tree huggers. sometimes I find myself needing to have the hammock suspension closer to the tree after maxing out on my whoopie sling
    Okay, I get it.

I'd just say if you're going to carry the Spider, why not go with a simple tree strap, instead of the hugger, and use the Spider all of the time?

Twice around the tree with the hugger could also work...

I take a different approach and make the hugger be of the adjustable variety, i.e. tree strap with an ADutchable. Then I know that the strap will encircle the tree with no strap extending toward the hammock.

All viable options with a WS!

Hammock
    yes please
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    kevlar straps
    Okay, I get it.

I'd just say if you're going to carry the Spider, why not go with a simple tree strap, instead of the hugger, and use the Spider all of the time?
    I guess it's because I'm a newb and since the tree huggers came with my Dutch 11ft netless hammock I thought I should see if the spiders were compatible with what I had. I don't mind buying straps if that's what it takes.

I guess it's because I'm a newb and since the tree huggers came with my Dutch 11ft netless hammock I thought I should see if the spiders were compatible with what I had. I don't mind buying straps if that's what it takes.
    No, that hugger-WS suspension is a great, simple, light set-up. Wouldn't want you to have to take it apart for a short hang. Besides, pretty sure you couldn't thread a loop through the Spider. (Which just crossed my mind.)

I'd opt for twice around the tree. Maybe carry a pair of 7/64 (or 1/8) dogbones to extend the hugger if ever needed to either a) go twice around or b) extend a bit for a long hang.

You have a great set-up that handles MOST things pretty well most of the time.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    whoopie slings on 5 ft tree huggers. sometimes I find myself needing to have the hammock suspension closer to the tree after maxing out on my whoopie sling
    I had that exact same problem OFTEN when hanging my WBBB XLC...especially since I'm short and have trouble reaching high onto the tree trunks to hang my straps. That problem was totally solved by my spiders. Now if I need the whoopies to connect right up to the trunk, no problem at all! I just run my spider up to the trunk and I'm in business!

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    If you have DUTCH's whoopie slings, they are opposite the whoopies on a WBBB and your hammock can even more easily be adapted to use with spiders and straps. Just use the spiders and straps instead of your whoopies and Whoopie hooks. Just hook your hammock's continuous loops over the spiders. Keep your tree huggers and whoopies to use with your next hammock! Dutch's version of the whoopie (attached to the tree hugger then hooked on and off the hammock's continuous loops) is my second favorite suspension system...but just the spiders and straps alone with the hammock's continuous loops is my favorite. I just keep the original (non Dutch style) whoopies on my WBBB XLC because I'm too chicken to take those whoopies off the hammock. I'm afraid I'd screw up the structural ridgeline. And that hammock is so stinking comfortable that I don't want to risk tinkering with it too much, so, with it I use it's whoopies on the spiders. But if you've got a Dutch hammock you can just lay the whoopies aside and hook your hammock's continuous loops directly to the spiders. I'd recommend the 15 foot straps. They aren't as bulky as they sound. They pack up small.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    No, that hugger-WS suspension is a great, simple, light set-up. Wouldn't want you to have to take it apart for a short hang. Besides, pretty sure you couldn't thread a loop through the Spider. (Which just crossed my mind.)

I'd opt for twice around the tree. Maybe carry a pair of 7/64 (or 1/8) dogbones to extend the hugger if ever needed to either a) go twice around or b) extend a bit for a long hang.

You have a great set-up that handles MOST things pretty well most of the time.
    Actually, you can hook a hammock's continuous loops directly to the spiders. I do it all the time with my plain (non-WBBB) gathered end hammocks. Works easily!

Quote Originally Posted by Dublinlin View Post
    Actually, you can hook a hammock's continuous loops directly to the spiders. I do it all the time with my plain (non-WBBB) gathered end hammocks. Works easily!
    But he has WSs larksheaded to 5' huggers. Not quite the same scenario.

Hammock
    WBBB XL custom 1.1 single.
    Tarp
    Cuben HG w/doors
    Insulation
    Exped DownMat
    Suspension
    Becket hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dublinlin View Post
    I just keep the original (non Dutch style) whoopies on my WBBB XLC because I'm too chicken to take those whoopies off the hammock. I'm afraid I'd screw up the structural ridgeline. And that hammock is so stinking comfortable that I don't want to risk tinkering with it too much, so, with it I use it's whoopies on the spiders. .
    I have had six or seven WBBB's over the years and still own two. The first thing I do is change out the suspension and often still change it before each trip out depending on what kind of area I am expecting to encounter. I was a little bit nervous the first time I changed one but not any more. It's actually simple and easy, kind of fun even.

Hammock
    DW HALF-WIT
    Tarp
    OES G4
    Insulation
    EE, HG PHOENIX
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Go with the Adutchables. That's a great fit for what your needs are. I have them with Kevlar straps and slings/hooks. Great setup

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast