WBBB XLC, DUTCHWARE, ETC...
    Tarp
    HG WP/Standard
    Insulation
    HG INCUBATOR/PHOEN
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Cinch
    Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    I did not like the 11'. It just seems like a sea of fabric all around me. The calf ridge, which is not really a problem for me on a 10', was the exact same on the 11'. The ridgeline also hung a LOT higher on the 11', to the point where I could hardly touch it lying down. And my UQ suspension seemed to short unless I extended it. All those things brought me to selling the 11' and just being satisfied with the 10'.

A perfect "if it's not broken don't fix it" situation for me. But I like trying new things, so I gave it a shot.
    I agree with this completely. I've tried just about every length hammock from about 8.5' up to 11' and I actually prefer the shorter hammocks (9.5' to 10.5) because of all the reasons he mentions here... and I'm 6'2''. For whatever reason, I just don't experience the problems that others seem to talk about with shorter hammocks and find shorter hammocks easier to find a spot to hang, easier and quicker to set up, not as finicky to set up, etc... Additionally, because i'm not having to lay at such a diagonal in a shorter hammock, my under quilts work much better and I seem to stay much warmer because I'm lying along the same plain as the underquilt and not trying to force it into an unnatural position. Short and wide is where it is at with me.

Hammock
    Dutchware
    Tarp
    Sld / Kitsapcowboy
    Insulation
    Sld T Winder / Llg
    Suspension
    Dw / Sheltowee
    Images
    My experience has been the longer the hammock , the more comfy. I'm 5' 8" & wide. I had a 9' eno hammock & it felt too restrictive. Then i got a grand trunk double 10' 6" hammock but it had way too much material flop. I now use a dutchware 11' knotty mod netless 1.6 hexon hammock & find that this worked great for me. This is the most comfy hammock iv'e been in hands down. I use this to camp with, so it's not just a backyard lounger. Hope this helps & does not add confusion.
    HAMmock po·lyg·a·mist

Hammock
    Trail Lair - Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon 11' Hex
    Insulation
    JRB / HG
    Suspension
    10' Kevlar Straps
    I may be the odd ball here, but i am 5'4" and I am very comfortable in my 9' Hexon hammock. With an 80 percent fixed ridge line, I have no calf ridge issue.

Blessings,
    Kevin

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    I am even more of the oddball. I like my hammock which is less than 8.5ft. I am 5'6".
    "There's a whisper on the night-wind, there's a star agleam to guide us, And the Wild is calling, calling . . . let us go." -from "The Call of the Wild" by Robert Service
    My Trail log: http://ducttapeadk.blogspot.com/

Hammock
    Netless + Bottom Entry net
    Tarp
    Rectangle
    5"9" here, I do fine with a 9.5 GT ultralight, I'm afraid if I try an 11 footer I'll like it to much and not be satisfied with less. I like the idea of being able to use a smaller cheaper tarp.

Hammock
    11' Hexon 1.6, Poly D 1.3
    Tarp
    HG Standard Cuben
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    12' tree straps to
    Images
    5'9" and happy with 10.5'. Totally subjective--it just feels "right". If I'm not mistaken though, Dutch started selling 10.5s after doing some blind tests where he found the length was fine for most people.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I'm 5'11" and prefer an 11 ft. hammock. However, my tablecloth hammocks come out at 10.5 ft. and they're comfortable too.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Netty
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Incubator/ Burrow
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles

10' vs 11' hammock

I'm 5'10" and I just switched from a 10' to an 11'. So far it seems to be much more comfortable. Everyone will be different so you may just have to try a few and see what feels right to you. You may be able to attend a hang in your area to try some out. Or get some from Dutch as they are priced very reasonable.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I'm 5'4" and recently built a 10.5' hammock. I can't really tell the difference to an 11' hammock. But I found that fabric is more important than length to me. With the wrong kind of fabric, I would be uncomfortable even in a 12' hammock, but with the right kind of fabric I don't necessarily need a lot of length to be comfortable.

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    I'm wondering if it would be advantageous to take a longer channel hammock and tie the ends in knots to effectively shorten it, just to see what the difference in length makes, all other things being equal. Well, it wouldn't be truly equal due to the different gathering method which could introduce variables all it's own. Would a test like this be fairly representative though?

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast