Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Pad

What should I buy next?

Hey yall, I'm fairly new to hammock camping but i have acquired enough gear to have gone on a couple trips and so far and I'm loving it. My question to anyone out there is what piece of gear should I purchase next? I currently have a super fly tarp which I love, a kelty 20 degree down bag which works well for me, and I just picked up a ridgerunner hammock. For bottom insulation I use a big, fat rei inflatable camp pad. The pad is heavy for backpacking standards but it's so comfy that I don't mind packing it. I was kicking around the idea of maybe picking up a blackbird xlc or perhaps an underquilt. Like I said, I have everything I need for a backpacking trip, but I would like to know from y'alls experience what has made your hammock life so much better. Or, if you had an extra couple a hundred bucks, what would you buy? Thanks.

Hammock
    WL Night Owl
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL Summer/ Winter
    Suspension
    Birch Buckles
    Down quilts is my suggestion. You're kidding yourself if you argue otherwise. Until you're nestled in you won't understand. Yes you can do it other ways but just go all in. A down underquilt is my next and final piece of my hammock puzzle.
    Formerly McBlaster
    The Tent is a Lie

Hammock
    WBB XLC 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    HG UQs/TQs
    Suspension
    Cinch Buck/Stingrz
    Images
    I'm new too featherhead so I'm right there with you. I'm not sure if you have any Dutch bling but I have Stingerz on my Superfly Ridgeline and tarp worms on my tieout lines. It's a very quick and easy solution. I also use Jacks R' Better self tensioners for my panel pulls with my hiking poles and move them to the sides of the tarp when in porch mode. It's a little silly, but it works better for me than the tarp worms when you are tightening them down. I have never tried a sleeping pad in my XLC because I took the advice of so many on here and went ahead and got the HG Incubator 20*. It is very comfortable and took me down to 16* easily. I used a Feathered Friends Rave UL 10* sleeping bag and plan to still use that in temps below 35*. But I have purchased a HG 40* Burrow TQ and Phoenix 40*UQ for the warmer months down here in the south. I'm trying to be weight conscious these days. I'm also upgrading to a HG Cuben tarp with doors... Again for weight savings. Good luck with your new gear and let me know if you find anything new that helps.
    - Big Fish
    "I have come to realize that fat boys don't hike. I need to quit or hike more!" - Big Fish

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 2.4
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I agree with the under quilt.. Best investment you can make

Hammock
    HH Explorer Delux w/2QZQ Mo, WB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HH SS, HG UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Desending Ring
    I have stayed with using my western mountaineering sleeping bags but my final piece has been the underquilt both HG 20 and a UGQ 0. I had an XLC DD and HH and used a mat and by the time I had that arranged I was carrying a inflatable may and a foam piece for shoulders. My vote is for UQ

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Pad
    I think it is settled then, underquilt wins. Thanks.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock- 10' Sparrow
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG 20*Burrow/Incub
    Suspension
    Straps/Carabiners
    Images
    Wooohooo, underquilt for the win..lol. I ordered a 20* set from HG in camo/dog "dark olive green" waiting for it to go into production still. Good luck on your hang adventure..

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    UQ no doubt. You could make a quick tablecloth hammock if you want to try a gathered end vs your RR.

Enjoy

Hammock
    DH RAVEN
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Jarbidge
    Suspension
    STRAPS/ ANCHOR
    Underquilt fo sho! You don't realize how much better it can be until you try it. And then you get the benefit of weight and volume savings in your pack!

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Pad
    Thanks for the unanimous advice yall! I'm thinking a forty degree quilt will suit me best for right now since spring is near. Man, I can't wait!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast