Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images

NC > Fat Butt Hang at Merchants Mill Pond State Park> 28 April to 01 May 2016

3rd Annual Fat Butt Hang ( got to work up to the Smoked Butt Hang ) at Merchants Mill Pond State Park NC Group Hang April 2016

When: 28, 29, 30 April and 01 May 2016. The Terminator and I will get there by 12 Noon on the 28th
    and we all have to leave by noon on the 1st,

A major change this year is that we will be holding the hang the same time as the park's Mill Pond Days, their big promote the park weekend and we have been asked to do a hammock
    demonstration showing off camping hammocks. This demonstration will take place in front of the park office on Saturday from about 10 AM to 2 PM. This is on a strictly voluntary basis.

There are enough trees to set up about a dozen hammocks plus room for stands. I am planning on setting up about 4 different hammock rigs from just a plain hammock to tarp, hammock, TQ and UQ and a complete DIY setup. I also plan to set up a couple of stands. If you have attended the Grayson Highlands Fall Hang then you are familiar with the drill. Be prepared for folks wanting to get into your hammock so you may want to take a spare rig to show off. I had a guy who had to weigh in at 400 lbs get into one of my DIY hammocks at Grayson ( it held but I was nervous ). In exchange for this hammock demonstration the park service has donated two nights of group site #1 to us. If the demonstration goes over well enough I hope they will invite us back and donate more nights to us.

Coordinating who will demo hammocks, transportation to the park office, time ect will be finalized Friday at the hang. You can sign up for the demo via the sign up sheet ( look for tab at bottom of sign up sheet ). Be prepared for the same questions asked over and over. Be patient and stress safe hammock hanging practices at all times, LNT and protect the trees with straps.

If you are a hammock vendor and want to join us for the demo and will not be selling anything then you just need to let me know you will be joining us.

If you want to sell anything then you must fill out a Mill Pond Day Vendor Form and send it to the MMPSP. You will also need to have NC State and Use Tax ID. PM me and I will send you a copy of the Vendor form which you will be responsible for completing and sending in to the park..

Who: Hammock Hangers and or hammock hanger wantabes. No age restrictions but hangers under the age of 18 must be accompanied by an adult.

What: Hammock Hanging in the woods

Where: Merchants Mill Pond State Park
    176 Millpond Road, Gatesville, NC27938-9440
    GPS: 36.437105, -76.701585
    http://www.ncparks.gov/Visit/parks/memi/main.php

Why: Why not...do we really need a reason to camp in our hammocks. Also a chance to meet up with fellow hangers, check out different rigs, eat lots of food.

Spend one or two or three nights or just come by for the day to visit.

Note..This is a family friendly event. No alcohol is allowed per Park rules

This park is located in the North East Corner of eastern North Carolina. This is convenient to hangers in eastern NC and VA

We will be hanging at the drive in Group Camp Grounds. This site is located in the South West corner of the park.
    Site # 1 is reserved for Thursday, Friday and Saturday night
    Site # 2 is reserved as over flow for Friday and Sat night

Site # 1 can handle apporx 30+ hangers
    Site # 2 can handle aprrox 20+ hangers

Each site is allowed 40 campers
    Each site has 2 fire rings and 3 picnic tables
    Water is available at Site # 1 and at Rest Rooms
    Parking is available next to restrooms
    There are rest rooms and a shower and water

Bear Fortune Cookies ( tents ) are welcomed. Come on down and learn about hammocks.

The entrance to the Group Sites is located on the Left if heading North or on the Right if going South on Mill Pond Rd and is South of the turn to the Rangers Station. There will be a large yellow sign saying "HAMMOCK HANG" with arrows indicating which way to turn. Drive down the dirt road about 500 ft.... parking to the Left.

How much.. recommend donation of $10 per person or $15 per family for the weekend to cover cost of campgrounds. I have payed for the sites up front. It will cost $150 for the camp sites as the park service is donating two nights.. You can pay via Paypay to [email protected]. Please note your HF name and that you are donating for the 2016 Fat Butt Hang.

Activities...
    Canoeing and Kayaking ( the park rents canoes and kayaks if you do not have one )
    Fishing (you must have a NC fresh water fishing license)
    Hiking.. several trails with the longest being 7 miles.
    Photography opportunities
    Spot the alligators (yes there are gators here)
    Afternoon hammock studies (taking a nap in your hammock)
    Check out other hangers setups
    Telling tall tales and or out right lies ( not sure if there is a difference )

This is an isolated State Park... there is one Convenience/Gas Store by the park. The town of Sunbury, is about 5 miles east of the park has a small grocery store, Dollar General, a couple of gas stations and a restaurant. The closest towns, Ahoskie and or Murfreesboro are about a 35+ minute drive

There will not be a raffle at this hang. If you want we can do a gear swap.

Group Meals..... Hotlips ( the Iron Chef of the Dutch Oven ) normally takes on the cooking duties but I know she accepts folks willing to help and food donations once she decides on the menu.

If anyone can bring fire wood it would be a help.

For the truly hardy individuals, you can hike or paddle to a remote camp site to camp out. These sites do not have water. This would not be part of the Group Site and you would have to reserve and pay for this yourself.

There are family camp sites if any one wants to come early or stay Sunday night ect. Site # 19 and 20 are the best sites for hanging hammocks at the family camp sites (The Terminator and I have used sites # 19 & 20). Bathhouse with hot showers are about 100 feet away.

This Park does have lots of poisonous snakes and ticks so be aware. Hopefully it will be cool enough that it is not be an issue.

Last edited by gunner76; 02-10-2016 at 18:45.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Exped combi or K-mart special
    Tarp
    stock Exped
    Insulation
    puffer jackets
    Suspension
    python straps
    All signed up. Looking forward to helping with the demo.

Hammock
    Towns End BGBH
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    Images
    Going. It's on my calendar.
    Retired US Navy, 10-year Stage IIIb colon cancer survivor. I believe my last words will be "Hold my beer..."

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    All right, we are off to a great start.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    WBBB, RR, Eno Dn
    Tarp
    WB SF, CB
    Insulation
    WB Mamba, UGQUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies, D Clips
    Alittle early to tell but on my radar.
    Straight out of Clayton.

Most physical hike: Grandfather Mountain, NC. Aug 13.

I don't need to make my pack lighter. I need to make my (_*_) lighter.

Hammock
    Towns End BGBH
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    Images
    Had to back out of the frosty butt hang next week as my HH is headed to 2QZQ for the HH zipper mod...but I'll be fat, dumb & happy by the time this one rolls around! Looking forward to it.
    Retired US Navy, 10-year Stage IIIb colon cancer survivor. I believe my last words will be "Hold my beer..."

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    HG std CF3
    Insulation
    Yeti; Mt. Wash. 4
    Suspension
    Dutchware kevlar
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner76 View Post
    [SIZE=3][FONT=comic sans ms]3rd Annual Fat Butt Hang

This Park does have lots of poisonous snakes and ticks so be aware. Hopefully it will be cool enough that it is not be an issue.

Don't worry too much about the snakes. I've been camping at Merchants Millpond for almost twenty years and never witnessed anybody get bit. (There was one remarkable scream when a woman came across a harmless black snake on the trail one day. Fortunately, the snake was not in any danger.)
    "I go because it irons out the wrinkles in my soul." -- Sigurd Olson

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    WB straps
    Signed up for this one...not sure if I'll be coming down on Thurs or Fri (depends on work), but I'll be there. I'll bring a couple setups for the demos as well (my stuff is "heavy-guy approved", so shouldn't have any issues like gunner mentioned ).

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    JRB univeral
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 4
    Suspension
    Beetle buckles
    Tammy and I will be there. I also have this down do PowHaW well not cross with it this year!
    Old Dominion Hangers
    KM4COF
    VA-4th Annual NOVA Hang-Nov 6-8 PWFP

Hammock
    WB Blackbird, bonefire, dutch
    Tarp
    superfly, HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Huggers / Whoopies
    A little early to make it final but I hope to be able to attend this hang.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast