Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Banned
    Images

DIY Heavy duty mule tape bark friendly tree strap and suspension all in one

These are my 3/4 mule tape straps. I made a set of these in a 15 foot per strap configuration to hang in a spot I found....
    Myself and my three main hammocking friends have been using these for the last year.

12042925_10205216052021905_7799670115963937875_n.jpg

Even at 30 foot span these where awesome. Super stable without all the stretch of the Atlas straps. So I decided to make these and offer them to my hiking buddies..

15 foot was a little much so I went to 11 feet each strap. That way you get 2 more feet of tree handling than most off the shelve stuff and still have a decent weight.

Heavy Duty: 3/4 Mule tape has 2500 pound tensile strength and is nearly wide enough to be a tree strap bit itself. Tubular Nylon is very tough as well and will take all the abuse that tree bark and even rocks can dish out. Armor can slide into position if you are hanging on something super harsh.
    lightweight. Even with 4 extra feet of length and using the larger MuleTape these come in lighter than a set of ENO or GrandTruck straps. Also you do not need a carabiner or hook. Just your hammock with loop.
    BarkFriendly 1) Mule tape slides within the sleeve instead of grinding on the bark 2) Mule tape is super soft compared to webbing, pressure points are reduced. 3) Tubular webbing is thicker and more compliant and tends to roll and flex where standard webbing will not.

Materials:
    2 x 12 foot sections of 3/4 mule tape
    2 x 4 foot sections of 1 inch armor aka tubular webbing

Building them...
    Seal Mule tape sections with clear tape where you cut it at 12 . Leave tape on until build is done
    Tie a perfection loop on each section.
    Use a paracord fid or similar DIY tool to pull the two sections through the 4 foot armor sections until perfection loop is closest to the armor

SAM_5898.JPGSAM_5900.JPGSAM_5901.JPGSAM_5902.JPGSAM_5904.JPG

setup video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_3uGD9B4jI

Bark video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSe4E09EdDw
    Last edited by Jeff Myers; 02-10-2016 at 17:02.

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.7
    Tarp
    Edge w/doors
    Insulation
    UQ:CS 5 TQ:CS 7.5
    Suspension
    Webbing, buckles
    All that is fine and well, but if the AHJ (authority having jurisdiction) says 1" webbing (or larger), you will be taking these straps down. If you do not have the suspension that the AHJ wants, then you are not hanging there. You will be ok as long as you do not try and hang where your setup will be inspected. Mr. and/or Ms. Ranger will have the final say-so.

Hammock
    Yukon
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 9
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Ofemur View Post
    All that is fine and well, but if the AHJ (authority having jurisdiction) says 1" webbing (or larger), you will be taking these straps down. If you do not have the suspension that the AHJ wants, then you are not hanging there. You will be ok as long as you do not try and hang where your setup will be inspected. Mr. and/or Ms. Ranger will have the final say-so.
    If I read his setup right he has the mule tape inside 1" sleeve of nylon webbing where it will be touching the tree.

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.7
    Tarp
    Edge w/doors
    Insulation
    UQ:CS 5 TQ:CS 7.5
    Suspension
    Webbing, buckles
    As long as it passes inspection.

Hammock
    Tribe Provision
    Tarp
    UST 2.0 Tube Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Mule Tape
    These are awesome straps. Just ordered 100' of 3/4" mule tape from eBay and going to make a set of these. I've been using 1" polyester webbing, but it seems to stretch excessively. Should make for a lighter setup overall, especially since I can lose the carabiners.

Hammock
    BoneFire,DIY Bridge,DH
    Tarp
    HG DCF,UGQ,DIY
    Insulation
    BoneFire,UGQ,Clew
    Suspension
    BoneFire Deluxe
    Polyester webbing should not be stretching more than 2%... Nylon, however, is normally omitted from hammock suspension due to its stretch under load.

Hammock
    Tribe Provision
    Tarp
    UST 2.0 Tube Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Mule Tape
    Quote Originally Posted by Intimidator View Post
    Polyester webbing should not be stretching more than 2%... Nylon, however, is normally omitted from hammock suspension due to its stretch under load.
    That may be generally true of polyester webbing, but what I got definitely stretches more.

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    The sleeve is just window dressing. It's not load bearing for the full inch that National Forests look for. I hope this works for you but remember to be a good ambassador to hammocks if the Rangers come around. Maybe carry backup 4'x1" straps just in case.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    Tribe Provision
    Tarp
    UST 2.0 Tube Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Mule Tape
    Quote Originally Posted by Floridahanger View Post
    The sleeve is just window dressing. It's not load bearing for the full inch that National Forests look for. I hope this works for you but remember to be a good ambassador to hammocks if the Rangers come around. Maybe carry backup 4'x1" straps just in case.
    I've never heard anyone here in Oregon talking about this being an issue. Anyone in the Pacific Northwest know if there are any regulations like that here?

Banned
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Intimidator View Post
    Right . But this nylon is not suspension. It is armor that stretches to save the tree and the straps.

Quote Originally Posted by Ofemur View Post
    Non issue. For one i am in Oregon, and for two the tree strap is at 1 inch and just a little over actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Floridahanger View Post
    Far more than window dressing there bud. Still these are a far better setup than 1 inch straps and rope that many are using.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast