Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by alifeoutdoors View Post
    Not even Starbucks VIA? I used to carry a big sky mug/french press combo that was pretty beefy but the VIA changed all that for me. I'm somewhat of a coffee snob but maybe my I'm less refined than I thought.
    Fresh coffee just means too much to me - that morning cup of fresh joe is always the highlight of my trip, the beginning of a beautiful day!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    11ft argon
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra
    Insulation
    HG 20 incubator
    Suspension
    whoopies & huggers
    Great thread. Should sticky.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien #3000
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logic
    Suspension
    MYOG Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    One thing I've struggled with for years is making coffee. I've got a little drip thingie but it takes too long and I don't use a drip at home. I'm thinking of getting a 7-ounce Snow Peak Titanium French press because a fresh cup of coffee means a lot to me. I could never drink instant.
    I have one of those and just can't seem to find a good way to replace it. That cup of coffee is everything to me. To me it's that one thing that goes anyway. I'm going to try steeping the "make your own" bags from Mountain House. I was wondering if you had tried that and could speak on it?
    We heard it was gonna rain, we came anyway...

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron S View Post
    I have one of those and just can't seem to find a good way to replace it. That cup of coffee is everything to me. To me it's that one thing that goes anyway. I'm going to try steeping the "make your own" bags from Mountain House. I was wondering if you had tried that and could speak on it?
    Haven't tried it.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB SF and WL TP
    Insulation
    UGQ & HG
    Suspension
    multiple
    Images
    I'm one of those weirdos who actually prefers instant coffee. I make a few ready-mix pouches of Folgers instant coffee with sugar and powdered creamer mixed in, and just toss those in my pack. One or 2 pouches per cup of hot water, and I'm good to go. When I go backpacking with my clean & sober hiking group, the guys refer to my coffee blend as "jail house coffee".

Hammock
    11' Dutch 2.4 Hexon
    Insulation
    Yukon Outfitters
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow View Post
    I'm one of those weirdos who actually prefers instant coffee. I make a few ready-mix pouches of Folgers instant coffee with sugar and powdered creamer mixed in, and just toss those in my pack. One or 2 pouches per cup of hot water, and I'm good to go. When I go backpacking with my clean & sober hiking group, the guys refer to my coffee blend as "jail house coffee".
    Clean and sober hiking group? Now that's a good idea! We do bonfires and stuff, but that would be an experience.
    -Jason-

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB SF and WL TP
    Insulation
    UGQ & HG
    Suspension
    multiple
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by datman View Post
    Clean and sober hiking group? Now that's a good idea! We do bonfires and stuff, but that would be an experience.
    I started this clean & sober hiking group last year with a friend of mine who's in AA, and we've been bringing along friends of his who are also addicts in recovery. It's really good to get these guys out and doing stuff that doesn't have any ties to drinking or partying the way they used to. We do our AA meetings on the trail and also around the campfire. It's been good so far, and looking forward to more of these kinda trips this year.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    This topic has caused some of the thoughts I've had to coalesce. For me personally my priorities are:
    1. comfort
    2. weight
    3. cost

1. Comfort--I'm willing to schlepp a bit of extra weight to sleep well. There are lighter hammocks than my WBRR, but for me, none more comfortable. I will admit right here I'm not doing 20 miles a day. My distances are shorter so the weight isn't such a factor.
    2. Weight--If I can find a lighter piece of equipment that meets criteria one and three that's what I'll use. Even though my distances are short I still am mindful of load. My personal base weight target is 15 pounds.
    3. Cost--I'm willing to spend some money to get good quality, lighter weight gear. I just spent a bunch of money on Dutch bling. But there is a cost-benefit ratio for which I'll spend to a certain amount, but after that the weight savings do not justify the added cost for me. Would I spend $1000 to shave 5 pounds from my load? Probably not. Would I spend $300 to shave 2 1/2 pounds? Probably.

Like everything in life it boils down to what are your real priorities and what are you willing to do to achieve them?

Hammock
    Grand Trunk
    Tarp
    walkabout fly
    Insulation
    OV 20 UQ or PLUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Fantastic thread with lost of great info. I'm really going to examine the little things and see what I can save on weight. I do carry a katadyn backpacker water filter, could go lighter, and a steel water bottle (piece of mind as i can boil water in it if filter fails). I have two alcohol stoves, a simple can stove i made and a larger commercial version that holds 3oz of fuel in it. Usually only take the small soda can stove. I'll look at my med kit, clothes, and sundries i take and see what I can save there. Also going to look at insulation and tools I carry (knife, folding saw).

On the critical issue of coffee, decent steeping pouches can be made from good coffee, a cut part of filter, and dental floss as the tie. Maxwell House makes coffee singles in tea bags that are ok in a pinch, but using a superior coffee in a tied pouch is quite good. And I do agree, i won't save grams by dropping the coffee.

Thanks all, glad this thread is running along.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345