Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images

Need hammock cover when using Superfly?

For those who backpack in the winter, do you use a hammock cover when also using the Superlfy tarp?

I have a Chameleon with the cover and am wondering if perhaps it is redundant if also using a Superfly with the doors "buttoned up." Say temps down to about 10°F or so with appropriate TQ and UQ.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Here's a shot of the inside of my Superfly in the morning after a -5° night.

Enough frozen breath on everything to cover Antarctica. The last thing I want is to bring all that even closer to me and my gear by using a cover. I had the doors closed and a good 12" gap from the ground. Very windy as I recall. This is why I reverted to more of a porch mode setup in the winter...even if it's just propped up about 2' with hiking poles. That little bit makes a difference.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12 & WD13
    Insulation
    UGQ, HG
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I think a lot depends on the wind conditions. If windy, I would have the tarp up, and set low as possible, too to reduce the winds heat robbing affect, whether I had hammock cover or not.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    I personally would never use a cover as they simply trap moisture and hold very little warmth especially considering that this moisture will make you feel much colder. Get quilts that are rated correctly for the temps you want to hang in and you'll be fine. Just avoid anything hung too tight to hold that moisture in.

Hammock
    Dutch 11 foot
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Diy uq phantom32
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks/
    Images
    I use a Dutch winter sock with my superfly, as long as I keep the vent over my head I have no problem with condensation and it adds at least 10 deg to my set up. It also keeps outside condensation off my quilts. With that said I've only used it under 32f a couple of times and down to 15f once. But I'm sure just a top cover is probably a hole different critter especially if the vent is low on the side and not at the top over your face.
    By all means, let's argue about whether or not a hammock will hurt a tree. All the while ignoring the fact that there is an island of garbage the size of Texas floating in the Pacific ocean. Or how about the fact that over 75% of the world's nuclear reactors are leaking...

While I don’t have a cover for my chameleon, I do for my sparrow and have two ventholes, one on each end. I haven’t had any condensation issues using it. It raises the temperatures in my hammock about ten degrees depending on the weather ( a little less in high winds).

I also have a winterdream tarp with doors and an underquilt protector to stop any heat from escaping in the wind, but my climate is pretty mild as compared to a lot of people from the northern states.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hammock
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    I'm guessing from the responses that it depends on where you are from. Here in the mid south the humidity levels are always high no matter the time of year so you need to take the humidity levels into consideration when using a top cover. I personally never need the extra temp increase I have a zero degree quilt and if it's real windy I use my tarp to block the wind.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Thanks for the replies!

I used it with the cover a few nights ago along with a HG Hex tarp, but it was very windy and the temp only got down to 31 and there was zero condensation even though there were a couple of periods of rain earlier in the night. But that is an open tarp.

Hammock
    Half-wit (3 season), Chameleon (win
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    I have a superbly as well and I’m experimenting with a top cover. I’m currently using a HH as my winter hammock, so I don’t have a true top cover. I do, however, have a poncho liner. Yes, it’s heavy and doesn’t pack down real great, but it does an awesome job as a top cover. Since it is insulated itself, I haven’t had any issues with condensation on the inside (yet).

Supposed to be 28 and a little humid this Wednesday night when I take it into the backyard, we’ll see how it does then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TxAggie View Post
    I have a superbly as well and I’m experimenting with a top cover. I’m currently using a HH as my winter hammock, so I don’t have a true top cover. I do, however, have a poncho liner. Yes, it’s heavy and doesn’t pack down real great, but it does an awesome job as a top cover. Since it is insulated itself, I haven’t had any issues with condensation on the inside (yet).

Supposed to be 28 and a little humid this Wednesday night when I take it into the backyard, we’ll see how it does then.
    Are you using your poncho liner as a "top quilt" or a "top cover"? These are two different animals.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast