Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tumbleweed View Post
    Are there "issues / strain" on the hammock and / or the sock while sitting in the hammock. I am wondering if sitting sideways while putting on shoes/boots would stress the sock zipper. WBBB with Yeti UQ. How does it compare to the SEEP that Macintire has?
    I've never had an issue. Sitting in my hammock is very important in winter to me since we are changing socks, cooking, messing with gear often.
    Should the zipper get stressed I believe it just auto opens even more.
    hth
    A fellow HF member

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    Green Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    What's the benefit of the sock over the winter cover that you can get on the XLC? Love that multicam.

Hammock
    Dutchware or Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I'm guessing that since it is enclosing the UQ as well, it provides a little better protection for your gear and may create more of a micro-climate??

I really like the design though. I may pick one up for my gathered end hammock for cold hangs next year. It's almost 70 here in Ohio today.

Billio

Quote Originally Posted by billio View Post
    I'm guessing that since it is enclosing the UQ as well, it provides a little better protection for your gear and may create more of a micro-climate??

I really like the design though. I may pick one up for my gathered end hammock for cold hangs next year. It's almost 70 here in Ohio today.

Billio
    +1

no wind driven cold air getting between thy UQ and hammock

Hammock
    WBBB XLT/shield
    Tarp
    UGQ .93 oz silpoly
    Insulation
    Down Quilts
    Suspension
    WB straps/cinch B
    This looks really good. One question I have, when your feet are in the footbox and it's 25-30 degrees out side with slight wind, eight MPH or less, do you feel transmission of air or maybe convection of cold radiating through the hammock wall? The reason I ask is I use a the shield zipped all the way up except perhaps 1-2 inches. My situation, when hung three nights last week. Tarp over hammock tied 6 inches above ground, slight crosswind, temps of between 35-26 degrees. Used 20 degree Yeti, 30 degree LeighLo TQ w/ overfill. Had placed space blanket between double bottom. Everything was warm but feet. Coldness was radiating through the hammock wall. I was wearing Smartwool's and boiled wool socks over them, feet were still cold. My question is does the hammock sock solve that problem?
    Last edited by BillC523; 02-26-2016 at 22:28. Reason: Part of reply missing

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I do not have the newer sock but the old one ( I plan to get the newer one ). I have used it with some very strong cold winds in the low 20's and the sock was able to block the wind and with my UQ and TQ I was to stay nice and warm even with the door open.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Quote Originally Posted by BillC523 View Post
    This looks really good. One question I have, when your feet are in the footbox and it's 25-30 degrees out side with slight wind, eight MPH or less, do you feel transmission of air or maybe convection of cold radiating through the hammock wall? The reason I ask is I use a the shield zipped all the way up except perhaps 1-2 inches. My situation, when hung three nights last week. Tarp over hammock tied 6 inches above ground, slight crosswind, temps of between 35-26 degrees. Used 20 degree Yeti, 30 degree LeighLo TQ w/ overfill. Had placed space blanket between double bottom. Everything was warm but feet. Coldness was radiating through the hammock wall. I was wearing Smartwool's and boiled wool socks over them, feet were still cold. My question is does the hammock sock solve that problem?
    I was out this weekend in pretty much the same conditions you describe but I had the WB Travel Sock, a WB Traveler hammock, 0°F UQ, 20°F Slick bag, Kifarue Doobie Express as an elephant foot (and camp snivel layer) + wool socks and mil-surp polarflece lined insulated booties.

My feet and legs did not get totally comfortable until I put the Doobie Express on as an elephant foot. I would get cold spots where my legs bend and at the high point of my bones - likely stretching fill material taught and thus thin.

The Travel sock made the inside quite markedly warmer. I did get condensation but the steep walls from the ridge line just channeled anything away.

What was interesting to me was that the condensation on the sock material was definitely wet - NOT frozen. The condensation that was frozen was on my ridge line above my head! The Zing-it type material seemed to absorb the condensation and its contact with the apex of my whole system allows it to freeze when the cold air hits it near the zipper ioening. It thus acted as a weird and efficient condensation wick/collector that freezes it and thus keeps it away from you. I had to squeeze the frozen material (ice) off the ridge line when packing up.

These zippered sock designs definitely allow you to totally dial-in the amount of condensation/ventilation you want. Heck, you can even create a tube from your face/mouth to a small zipper port hole if you want. You can leave the zipper totally open to have TOTAL condensation control AND still have the non-zippered side blocking the prevailing direction of wind to have the best of both worlds. The zippered system is also very easy to air-out to dry before packing by just leaving them unzipped. No need to turn the thing inside-out like with the tube-based socks.

Again, I am leaving my hammock assembled in the sock and packing it all away as one unit.

There is no extra set-up time with this wind sock
    Last edited by alukban; 02-29-2016 at 20:35.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Edge/SF
    Insulation
    40/40 30/20 20/0
    Suspension
    Woopie
    Did you have a tarp in use also? Not that that effects the inside area much at all.

Hey brother

No tarp. 0% chance of rain.

I had the sock unzipped for only about 1' of opening at about 1:00.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Edge/SF
    Insulation
    40/40 30/20 20/0
    Suspension
    Woopie
    That's awesome. I'm still trying to get used to the tension of the ridgeline and the strap angles. I'm such a newb.... But I type this from inside my hammock! So I'm enjoying it when I can.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast