Hammock
    Dutch 11' Hex 2.4/ SLD Lair
    Tarp
    UGQ Catcut Hex
    Insulation
    Zeppelin/Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Seems like he's taking the constructive criticism with more grace than he used to. His enthusiasm for the Dream Hammock is infectious .
    "Civilization exists by geological consent, subject to change without notice." Will Durant

Hammock
    DIY 11' Hyper D XL
    Tarp
    Hennessy HEX
    Insulation
    KAQ- Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    Maybe this will help explain what could happen to a hammock that has not been hung correctly.
    If you want just the facts fast forward to 4:05 of this video.
    Keep in mind Shug only weighs what 175...180 soaking wet? What would have happened to poor green bean if he weighed 300?

I kind of disagree with you on this one. We all know that hanging too tight does increase stress but it doesn't solely guarantee failure even at 300lbs. It more depends on factors such as type of fabric used, quality of thread and stitching, as well as age of the fabric and the amount of degradation due to heat, moisture, cold and UV light from the sun. Shug's hammock was fairly old, well used and probably had some weak spots that couldn't be seen without a microscope. I'm sure that if it were new it wouldn't have torn at all. I am 200 lbs and I have also strung a hammock as tight as possible to see what would happen. I even had my 50 lb daughter get in with me and we bounced and swung and guess what happened?

Absolutely nothing.

While that itself isn't a conclusive test, it also doesn't prove that hanging too tight or just right causes or prevents failure. It's always best to be cautious and thoroughly check your gear before setting off on an adventure. Remember that you can try to prevent any further unnecessary damage to your gear by just taking care of it.

Hammock
    DW netless/JS Full net
    Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 40
    Suspension
    Dutch buckle/strap
    I think this is just one of those issues of 'can't vs. shouldn't'. No one is saying if he does things the way he does that he will die and his gear will fail etc. I think they are saying that the method he is choosing increases risk for those things, on top of additional risk for the safety of the trees. I see people make those tall hammock bunk beds with 20 hammocks on the same two trees, I'm sure they do it safely but you won't see me advocating people to do that. To each their own, but when someone has a huge platform, they have to be open to difference of opinion.
    Look up before you hook up!!
    Originally Posted by body942
    Me big. Me like hammockgear burrow. Long. Problems no. People good.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    EE TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle
    I guess no one told this guy the 30 degree strap angle is before you get in the hammock.
    I hope folks don't do the pull the buckles tight then get in and hope for a 30 degree. That is putting a ton of extra force on the trees and the hammock material.
    Other than that good video.
    Maybe he watched the Hennessey setup video where Tom pulls his suspension tight. (2:20)
    Last edited by Spaceman; 02-14-2016 at 10:24.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    I've had the opportunity to speak with Dave several times over the past few weeks via phone and emails. I must admit I never knew who he was until I clicked through some links he had provided in his email signature. To me he was just some guy who wanted to talk hammocks and had some questions about our products. In every single conversation we had, he was perfectly pleasant and a very courteous person. If anybody has issues with his on-air personality or other beefs, that's on you. I thought he was great to work with just like so many of the folks we talk with every day.

I wasn't thrilled to see how taut the hammock was hanging in the video, but we had outfitted that particular one with a 7/64" Amsteel ridgeline so I knew we were good. I was very grateful for the kind things he said about our hammock and our company.

Those of us a little farther down this path have the burden and the responsibility to suggest and advise best practices. They will not always be followed of course, but we should still try. Newer folks just don't know what many of you recently learned, but now take for granted. It is through forums like this where these people learn stuff like this. I'm up until midnight about every evening answering questions about general hanging topics that have little or nothing to do with the products we sell. Why do you think that is? Could these folks not get the same information by posting questions here on hammock forums?

Some questions for everybody:
    When a new poster shows up with seemingly silly questions, how will he be treated here? Will he be advised and guided in the best practices for a safe and comfortable hang? Will he simply be pointed toward your preferred vendor regardless of his questions or needs? Will he be mocked and treated rudely? Would he recommend this site to his new hanging friends or would he advise them to steer clear of this place?
    Last edited by PapaSmurf; 02-12-2016 at 14:21.

Hammock
    DW netless/JS Full net
    Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 40
    Suspension
    Dutch buckle/strap
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post
    I've had the opportunity to speak with Dave several times over the past few weeks via phone and emails. I must admit I never knew who he was until I clicked through some links he had provided in his email signature. To me he was just some guy who wanted to talk hammocks and had some questions about our products. In every single conversation we had, he was perfectly pleasant and a very courteous person. If anybody has issues with his on-air personality or other beefs, that's on you. I thought he was great to work with just like so many of the folks we talk with every day.

I wasn't thrilled to see how taut the hammock was hanging in the video, but we had outfitted that particular one with a 7/64" Amsteel ridgeline so I knew we were good. I was very grateful for the kind things he said about our hammock and our company.

Those of us a little farther down this path have the burden and the responsibility to suggest and advise best practices. They will not always be followed of course, but we should still try. Newer folks just don't know what many of you recently learned, but now take for granted. It is through forums like this where these people learn stuff like this. I'm up until midnight about every evening answering questions about general hanging topics that have little or nothing to do with the products we sell. Why do you think that is? Could these folks not get the same information by posting questions here on hammock forums?

When a new poster shows up with seemingly silly questions, how will he be treated here? Will he be advised and guided in the best practices for a safe and comfortable hang? Will he simply be pointed toward your preferred vendor regardless of his questions or needs? Will he be mocked and treated rudely? Would he recommend this site to his new hanging friends or would he advise them to steer clear of this place?
    Well said Papa and a good reminder of what this place should be.
    Look up before you hook up!!
    Originally Posted by body942
    Me big. Me like hammockgear burrow. Long. Problems no. People good.

Maybe this will help explain what could happen to a hammock that has not been hung correctly.
    If you want just the facts fast forward to 4:05 of this video.
    Keep in mind Shug only weighs what 175...180 soaking wet? What would have happened to poor green bean if he weighed 300?
    He also makes a statement at 1:55 that I think a couple people in this thread need to listen to again.
    Last edited by Nighthauk; 02-12-2016 at 20:01.

Hammock
    DD and DIY
    Tarp
    DD
    Insulation
    3/4 hammock gearUQ
    Suspension
    tree hugger straps
    Ahhhhhh yes, the shug is wise and strong with the force.... he will bring peace to the galaxy...
    Last edited by Nighthauk; 02-12-2016 at 20:00.

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post

Thank you Papa Smurf,,,well said!!!

Hammock
    WBBB RR DBL 1.1 / DIY Multicam SL
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG CF
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch Clip
    I cleaned things up a bit, to keep things moving in a direction that the OP meant the thread to go in. Carry forth.
    Husband, Father, and Friend.
    Scout Master and Cub Master for Troop/Pack 705 of
    Chesterfield

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast