Dream Hammock Dangerbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ Full Set
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    Meh, it didn't hurt it. My hammock spends plenty of time on the ground as well and it's still going strong several years later.
    I used to be a somebody, now I just camp.

Hammock
    Woodsman X
    Tarp
    Custom silnylon
    Insulation
    Down UQ, d.i.y TQ
    Suspension
    LoopAlien
    Hammock or UQ/TQ touching the ground is an absolute no no for me, thought everyone was the same tbh
    I doubt it would have hurt it i agree, but just getting it wet from the floor is enough to have me swearing at myself

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Thunderbird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    kAQ New River, DIY
    Suspension
    Varies w/hammock

Dave Canterbury discovers Dream Hammock!

I found on YouTube where Dave Canterbury has discovered Dream Hammock and has posted a video about it...Glad I have my Thunderbird already because I bet business is about to go through the roof! Congrats to the DH crew for making a great product, it's getting noticed!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qvt3Meuz998

Hammock
    WB BBXLC, DH, DIY, GT Hybrid
    Tarp
    Etowah Outfitters
    Insulation
    HG TQ and JRB UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    I can't believe all the negative comments about the video. No doubt he is in a learning curve and made some mistakes. Looks like he made about 1% of the ones I made during my first few setups. But he had nothing but praise for the hammock, the price, the suspension system and the workmanship. I thought it was a very positive review by a nationally known reviewer and I don't see the downside or any reason to criticize a new guy just getting used to his system.

Hammock
    DW netless/JS Full net
    Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 40
    Suspension
    Dutch buckle/strap
    I think that's a two prong issue. I fell into the same trap as we in this community generally follow a set standard and can be protective when that standard is not taught, or more accurately the opposite is taught by someone with so many followers. The reality is what Dave taught wasn't particularly dangerous or hurtful, but doesn't follow the "best practices" approach so widely accepted here as normal. The other issue at hand is Dave has been by his own admission been hammocking since 2009. During this time, he has always strung his rigs guitar string tight, at least the videos I have seen myself. That's not a new guy making new mistakes, it's old habits. Not a problem for us who have been around, but tough for the "new guy" who takes Daves word for gospel and mirrors his own system after him.

End of the day it's great that DH got some exposure and hopefully more people find this and communities like this to learn from.
    Look up before you hook up!!
    Originally Posted by body942
    Me big. Me like hammockgear burrow. Long. Problems no. People good.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Miquel Westano View Post
    I can't believe all the negative comments about the video. No doubt he is in a learning curve and made some mistakes. Looks like he made about 1% of the ones I made during my first few setups. But he had nothing but praise for the hammock, the price, the suspension system and the workmanship. I thought it was a very positive review by a nationally known reviewer and I don't see the downside or any reason to criticize a new guy just getting used to his system.
    Maybe this will help explain what could happen to a hammock that has not been hung correctly.
    If you want just the facts fast forward to 4:05 of this video.
    Keep in mind Shug only weighs what 175...180 soaking wet? What would have happened to poor green bean if he weighed 300?

Last edited by OutandBack; 02-12-2016 at 00:20.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Etowah Outfitters
    Insulation
    HG TQ and JRB UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by TFC Rick View Post
    I think that's a two prong issue. I fell into the same trap as we in this community generally follow a set standard and can be protective when that standard is not taught, or more accurately the opposite is taught by someone with so many followers. The reality is what Dave taught wasn't particularly dangerous or hurtful, but doesn't follow the "best practices" approach so widely accepted here as normal. The other issue at hand is Dave has been by his own admission been hammocking since 2009. During this time, he has always strung his rigs guitar string tight, at least the videos I have seen myself. That's not a new guy making new mistakes, it's old habits. Not a problem for us who have been around, but tough for the "new guy" who takes Daves word for gospel and mirrors his own system after him.

End of the day it's great that DH got some exposure and hopefully more people find this and communities like this to learn from.
    If I were new to hammocks, needed help, and stumbled across comments like; sharp as a butter knife and monkey see monkey do, I would be put off and afraid to ask questions for fear of getting comments like that lobbed at me.

I agree his pitch is tighter than I would think is safe and not as comfortable as it could be. But at the same time, everyone says hang your own hang. That's his. This is a place to get tons of opinions. Not all are going to be the same.

Sooner or later I am going to order the Sparrow. I loved how I never heard a popping stitch with that tight pitch and a much bigger guy than me in it. I know that wasn't the Sparrow, but it still reinforces the quality of the Dream Hammock line. And, ultimately that is another plus for their product.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Etowah Outfitters
    Insulation
    HG TQ and JRB UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    Maybe this will help explain what could happen to a hammock that has not been hung correctly.
    If you want just the facts fast forward to 4:05 of this video.

I remember that video well. I think I watched every Shug video made. I think he is a cool guy and responsible for several of my gear picks like my JRB underquilt. I agree the hang was too tight. It is the tone of the comments made that I thought was harsh. They seemed personal rather than constructive.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Miquel Westano View Post
    I remember that video well. I think I watched every Shug video made. I think he is a cool guy and responsible for several of my gear picks like my JRB underquilt. I agree the hang was too tight. It is the tone of the comments made that I thought was harsh. They seemed personal rather than constructive.
    Are you talking about the comments in this thread or on youtube?

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast