Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by rallywagon View Post
    Russ,

What size hole seems to be the best for 7/64 or maybe 1/8 Amsteel?

Thanks.
    I drilled the small hole at 3/16". I think it might be a hair too big. I'm going to try 5/32" for the next one I build, and work up to a bigger hole if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by varga49 View Post
    That looks pretty usable. I like the idea of something non hook like
    Very easy to set and undo. Really liking it.

Hi Russtang --

Any more info on failure testing? Notice any issues with amsteel?

Quote Originally Posted by bwg View Post
    Hi Russtang --

Any more info on failure testing? Notice any issues with amsteel?
    I haven't tested it to failure yet. I have pretty high confidence that they won't put me on the ground, but I would like to know where they fail.

Yesterday, I set up one side of my bridge hammock with the flat titanium version 1, and the other side with the round aluminum pill. I bounced around in the hammock a bit, and then hung out for a couple hours.

The amsteel on the flat version showed some compression on the line where it crosses itself, and some elongation where it wrapped around the metal. The round version showed less compression at the crossing point, and little to no elongation where it wrapped around the rod. It just showed some compression from being pulled around the pill, if that makes sense. Neither showed any signs of slipping.

It's obvious that the pill version stresses the line less. I think I'll repurpose the flat versions for ridgeline tie-outs, or bear bag hanging.

Russ

Quote Originally Posted by Russtang View Post
    I haven't tested it to failure yet. I have pretty high confidence that they won't put me on the ground, but I would like to know where they fail.

Yesterday, I set up one side of my bridge hammock with the flat titanium version 1, and the other side with the round aluminum pill. I bounced around in the hammock a bit, and then hung out for a couple hours.

The amsteel on the flat version showed some compression on the line where it crosses itself, and some elongation where it wrapped around the metal. The round version showed less compression at the crossing point, and little to no elongation where it wrapped around the rod. It just showed some compression from being pulled around the pill, if that makes sense. Neither showed any signs of slipping.

It's obvious that the pill version stresses the line less. I think I'll repurpose the flat versions for ridgeline tie-outs, or bear bag hanging.

Russ
    Thanks for the feedback. These look well designed. I am surprised the amsteel holds because I know it is slippery. I hope to try a version in the near future.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12