Hammock
    2 Blackbird XLC 1.7 DL SL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    IncubatorSniveller
    Suspension
    Standard Warbonnet

Going to try hanging at real low temp for Virginia area. Need advice on under and top insulatio

I haven't had temps in the single digits before near home. This weekend provides these and I want to push the envelope in how low I've hung. I've gone to 16 with just my 20 degree under and top quilts

I have several top and bottom quilts and thought to use them to extend my limits. Here's what I thought to do for under and top insulation.

Under
    20 degree HammockGear under quilt in combination with a 40 degree JRB under quilt.
    I've learned the importance of suspension in under insulation and think the HammockGear suspension should drive my set up.
    Would it make sense to hang the JRB directly beneath me, then add the HammockGear quilt on the outside? I'll use my2QZQ under quilt protector on the outside of all of this.

JRB 20 degree top quilt with a Costco down blanket on top.
    I have a double layer XLC Warbonnet where I use a piece of 1/4" CCA under my feet.
    I have installed my XLC Warbonnet winter cover on the hammock also.

I usually sleep with pants, couple pair of wool socks, a long sleeve base layer and at least one fleece. Headcover includes a JRB down hood (I really like that because I'm bald) and a balaclava as backup.

I'll have my tarp down low to shield from wind with the doors closed.

I'm planning an overnight trip the weekend of Feb 20 in the mountains. I can pack all of this for the trip if I'm confident it will let me get down to single digits.
    Thoughts? Thanks.

Hammock
    Robic XL 1.1oz 11'
    Tarp
    RSBTR PU4000 tarps
    Insulation
    UGQ 0* 20* 40* set
    Suspension
    Multi buckle web
    UQ... Let the 20* swallow the 40* and a UQP if windy should cover single digits no problem for you (where back yard testing comes into play ideally)
    TQ... Costco blanket then the 20* on top
    Be careful with the Winter cover and a frosting up of TQ quilt and cover from trapping moisture....can be best to maximize ventilation especially with no wind. With more wind then progressively hunker down... Is a dance with Mother Nature on this front

Anyways ENJOY have fun
    Life is too Short to not feed the addiction....Hang on and explore the World

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    You probably don't have enough top insulation. It's going to get down to 0* F or lower in NJ this weekend, and I couldn't imagine trying to do that with a 20* TQ.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WBB XLC 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    HG UQs/TQs
    Suspension
    Cinch Buck/Stingrz
    Images
    Let me know how the winter cover performs. I hear a lot of people say the bug net is better due to the risk of condensation. I'm purchasing a 2qzq myself, how do you like yours? I wore a puffy jacket and a Patagonia cap 1 and 4 when I tried out a 16* night. I'm jealous of your opportunity. We don't get that down here in Mississippi. Good luck!
    "I have come to realize that fat boys don't hike. I need to quit or hike more!" - Big Fish

Hammock
    2 Blackbird XLC 1.7 DL SL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    IncubatorSniveller
    Suspension
    Standard Warbonnet
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    You probably don't have enough top insulation. It's going to get down to 0* F or lower in NJ this weekend, and I couldn't imagine trying to do that with a 20* TQ.
    I'll bring out a 0 degree down mummy bag I've got and make final decision tomorrow night. My initial thought was to lay a 40 degree down blanket on top of the 20 degree TQ. Really haven't had much experience this low so. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by bkrgi View Post
    UQ... Let the 20* swallow the 40* and a UQP if windy should cover single digits no problem for you (where back yard testing comes into play ideally)
    TQ... Costco blanket then the 20* on top
    Be careful with the Winter cover and a frosting up of TQ quilt and cover from trapping moisture....can be best to maximize ventilation especially with no wind. With more wind then progressively hunker down... Is a dance with Mother Nature on this front.

Good point about the ventilation. Found that could occur last winter in the mid-teens. Going to vent significantly. Thanks for the heads up.

Anyways ENJOY have fun
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Fish View Post
    Let me know how the winter cover performs. I hear a lot of people say the bug net is better due to the risk of condensation. I'm purchasing a 2qzq myself, how do you like yours? I wore a puffy jacket and a Patagonia cap 1 and 4 when I tried out a 16* night. I'm jealous of your opportunity. We don't get that down here in Mississippi. Good luck!
    Will do on the winter top cover. I'm going to make sure my head stays warm. Learned to make sure I have plenty to put on my bald noggin last winter. This weekend will have a heavy balaclava in addition to the down JRB hood. Thanks.

Hammock
    DIY TC
    Tarp
    12x14 chinook
    Insulation
    DIY insultec UQ
    Suspension
    grand trunk straps
    Images
    Did my first winter hang this year and the temp dipped down to minus 25. Was toasty warm with a - 15 synthetic SB over a -5 down SB use as a top quilt all nested inside a Bivy sack, and a DIY underquilt made from a -10 poly fill SB with a CCF pad tucked inside between the hammock and the UQ bag, and a reflectix blanket in the hammock, Slept in long underwear and wool socks and fleece hoodie and hat. No problems with being cold, had one of my best sleeps ever.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I would put the Costco blanket inside the 20º TQ. But the 0º sleeping bag may be a better bet.
    Shug

Last edited by Shug; 02-12-2016 at 19:23.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    If you will have the ability to heat water - bring a Hot Water bottle that will seal tight. You will be glad you did (and you will need unfrozen water in the morning anyway).
    I prefer a sleeping bag with a hood and fleece blanket/liner for very cold nights better than stacking TQs, but practice before going so you can take the middle night pee break without a lot of fuss.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...e-To-Stay-Warm
    Last edited by oldpappy; 02-12-2016 at 19:33.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    11 ft made by MounainWilderness 365
    Tarp
    10x12 Monster Fly
    Insulation
    pads
    Suspension
    5' whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JSH View Post
    I haven't had temps in the single digits before near home. This weekend provides these and I want to push the envelope in how low I've hung. I've gone to 16 with just my 20 degree under and top quilts

I have several top and bottom quilts and thought to use them to extend my limits. Here's what I thought to do for under and top insulation.

Under
    20 degree HammockGear under quilt in combination with a 40 degree JRB under quilt.
    I've learned the importance of suspension in under insulation and think the HammockGear suspension should drive my set up.
    Would it make sense to hang the JRB directly beneath me, then add the HammockGear quilt on the outside? I'll use my2QZQ under quilt protector on the outside of all of this.

JRB 20 degree top quilt with a Costco down blanket on top.
    I have a double layer XLC Warbonnet where I use a piece of 1/4" CCA under my feet.
    I have installed my XLC Warbonnet winter cover on the hammock also.

I usually sleep with pants, couple pair of wool socks, a long sleeve base layer and at least one fleece. Headcover includes a JRB down hood (I really like that because I'm bald) and a balaclava as backup.

I'll have my tarp down low to shield from wind with the doors closed.

I'm planning an overnight trip the weekend of Feb 20 in the mountains. I can pack all of this for the trip if I'm confident it will let me get down to single digits.
    Thoughts? Thanks.
    You should be good with that. I don't think you need 2 pairs of wool socks, socks be better thick and dry, and one pair should be enough. If you have wool for base layer or as a sweater, that would work better than fleece, but you're good to go down to 0F in my opinion with your setup. Change into dry clothes before bed, eat well, have something rich in fat. Don't overdress too much, or you might get too hot early on and then your base layer would be compromised with sweat. It's better to add an extra layer when you feel cold than to be too hot. IMHO

+1 on water bottle. You will need that water in the morning.

Hammock
    11 ft made by MounainWilderness 365
    Tarp
    10x12 Monster Fly
    Insulation
    pads
    Suspension
    5' whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    20F quilt + clothes + extra down blanket ought to be enough for 0F, if the tarp is pitched low to the ground and there is no wind sipping all warmth away.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast