DIY Poly D or Robic XL
    Tarp
    DIY Winter w/doors
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Beetle or DIY Hook

Always Try Something New! Challenge

"Don’t be content with achieving a homeostasis; you should unceasingly be evolving toward a goal of greater efficiency, comfort, and lighter weight. There will always be some new and interesting thing or technique you can test. Challenge yourself with every outing. If you try something and it doesn’t work quite as well as you hoped - so what! You learned something valuable by trying. Always try something new, ALWAYS!" –Michael Clelland (Ultralight Backpackin’ Tips)

I use this quote in training new scout leaders as a way to encourage them to move outside their comfort zone and try new things to inspire the boys. I thought I would extend this to the forum by way of a challenge. Every time you go out or take a trip try something new; be it a new piece of gear, new hardware, new way to rig your suspension, tarp in porch mode...

This last weekends hang I hung my tarp and used no stakes. It was much more fun to make deadmen in the deep snow than to try and pound stakes in frozen ground and then attempt to pull them out in the morning. But for me this was new. I had only hung my tarp using stakes. I hadn't used a deadman in years.
    20160206_073502.jpg
    Buried
    20160206_073404.jpg

Last month I made a new frost bid from some scrap fleece and it worked great at keeping my TQ dry. I also made a new longer hammock from Hyper D complete with Knotty mods and a ridgeline organizer. Very comfortable and light.
    20160109_100312.jpg20160109_102241.jpg
    Next outing I am going to try our my new gear loft I made from the leftover hammock material and rigging my tarp with the some Dutch flies rather than the Wasp I have been using.

Will you accept the challenge to try something new?
    Post your attempts whether they are successes or failures along with what you learned.
    Outdoors > Indoors
    I love me some XeroShoes
    “An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock.” ― Jean de Lattre de Tassigny

Hammock
    11' Dutch 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    HG cuben hex
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    does a Italian Pepper Steak Mountain House meal count as something new? I've NEVER had it

Hammock
    DIY Poly D or Robic XL
    Tarp
    DIY Winter w/doors
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Beetle or DIY Hook
    Quote Originally Posted by southernwonton View Post
    does a Italian Pepper Steak Mountain House meal count as something new? I've NEVER had it
    I am sure it would but if we get too many non-hammock related posts the thread may be moved. Now I am hungry.
    Outdoors > Indoors
    I love me some XeroShoes
    “An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock.” ― Jean de Lattre de Tassigny

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB SF and WL TP
    Insulation
    UGQ & HG
    Suspension
    multiple
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbycobbler View Post
    That Italian Pepper Steak is absolutely amazing, and I'm sure it'd be even better if eaten while laying in the hammock. I'll definitely be getting some more of those next time I pick up some Mountain House meals.

Hammock
    Dutchwear Hexon 2.4
    Tarp
    KeltyNoah12
    Insulation
    HGIncub20UQ MH20TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    It seams I'm always trying something new, even if it's small. Last trip, I tried my new Silky Gomboy, MSR Pocket Rocket, Lashit/Zingit/Dynaglide tie-outs, and inflatable camp pillow.

Next trip, I will be trying 2 piece style tarp ridge line with S-biners and prussiks instead of CRL, DIY dehydrated meal, new coffee making set-up, using caribiners on tree straps instead of feeding through end-loop, Dutch Buckles, DIY 1/8" whoopies, and if I get everything in time, DIY TQ and maybe UQ.

Sometimes, it seems as if trying new stuff is my main excuse for going out..lol.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB SF and WL TP
    Insulation
    UGQ & HG
    Suspension
    multiple
    Images
    As I'm always buying new gear and going with different groups of various levels of experience, I'm always bringing new stuff to work with out on the trail. Or just different ways of using gear I've had for a while. Being new to hammocks, trying this will be completely new for me. Naturally, virtually every trip from here on out will include experimenting with new hammock gear and ways of utilizing it. It's the gear head life now taking a turn to the bark side.
    Scarecrow on Instagram

"If somebody tells you there's a rule, break it. That's the only thing that moves things forward."
    -Hans Zimmer

Hammock
    Robic XL 1.1oz 11'
    Tarp
    RSBTR PU4000 tarps
    Insulation
    UGQ 0* 20* 40* set
    Suspension
    Multi buckle web
    Always evolving here.
    As a society we are seemingly moving more towards a follow the leader campaign so it is refreshing to see a leader encourage thought and ideas instead of campaigning there own...Kudos to you

I'm in constant evolving as I continue to build out my 4 seasons kit's. Each season has its inherent challenges to overcome and for now have been working on my winter cold kit...new insulation, hot tent, ti wood stove, Fiskars X11 axe (dang that thing will split wood ...to heck with batoning wood), saws....
    Next is the shoulder season's...got's some tweaking to do there
    And now working a electric fence build out concept to keep bears from sniffing the Taco (me) when motocamping in the back country alone.

Fun Fun
    Life is too Short to not feed the addiction....Hang on and explore the World

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Kavelar/dynema
    I tried to use a small wood stove on our last hike. Rained 10 hours Saturday from noon on. I had to borrow my wife's alcohol stove for dinner. In the morning I had a hard time lighting my wood stove. After struggling to have breakfast and coffee I learned wood stove's are for camping not hiking. The mess it made on my pot took 20 minutes to scrub off after the trip as well.

I always try something new (or retry something) each trip. Wood stove will be left at home from now on. LOL

I did use an umbrella on this trip with limited success. It kept my upper body dry, but only to my waist.

Hammock
    DIY Poly D or Robic XL
    Tarp
    DIY Winter w/doors
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Beetle or DIY Hook
    Well I tried something new... Some good and some not so good.
    I was able to try my new gear hammock. It was great as it hung on the ridge-line and I could put all my clothes in it for easy access in the morning or if needed for more warmth in during the night.
    20160319_080759.jpg

Next was the new guylines from Litesmith. They worked great and will help avoid things that go bump in the night.
    20160318_220545.jpg

Last I tried a new Fancy Feast stove. I am not sure if it was too cold or if the carbon felt had too much moisture in it but it was very difficult to light and the Heat I used for fuel did not burn as long. I had hope for better because my testing at home showed this design would burn longer and boil sooner. (sorry no picture)

Win some lose some. Overall very happy with the testing.
    Outdoors > Indoors
    I love me some XeroShoes

• + New Posts