Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Is this a student project?
    Or is this a revenue generating personal blog?
    Or is this a commercial blog?

Curious as to the target audience, aside from the generic 'newbies'.

Write what you know, your journey. Limited though it may be, others will benefit from your experience.
    Trying to write as an expert won't make it until you log the time to gain the wisdom, no matter how many folks try to contribute ideas.

Keeping it simple, having a focus, will make a world of difference. Stay away from the history of hammocks unless you're prepared to dig a little deeper. Each paragraph should have a few central points that could literally be bullets, I'm not getting that so far.

Appreciate your efforts, never can have too many primers but the devil is in the details and nuance matters. Example, you can read all you want and watch as many videos you want on lacing in a heel lock on your hiking boots but if they forget to tell you to only pull the laces towards the toes when tightening, they've missed a key component and wasted their time and yours creating said video or writeup. So I'd be inclined to either edit your complete writeup in exhaustive detail ensuring that critical points are covered or again, encourage you to describe your journey. Editing en masse yields cumbersome regurgitation rather than elegant wordsmithing.
    Last edited by Ratdog; 02-12-2016 at 08:45.
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Very good advice from ratdog, bubba and others. I'd echo the advice to skip hammock history, unless you're going to start with Ed Speer and others who helped pioneer camping in hammocks. I'm using Speer only because he wrote a book about it, not to denigrate the efforts of others. A little bit of hammock camping history may be relevant, but only as an intro to current practice. Good luck.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    yes please
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    kevlar straps
    Quote Originally Posted by alifeoutdoors View Post
    Actually you could've saved a lot of typing and effort by just making your blog entry one hyperlink:

http://theultimatehang.com/
    exactly this. I'd also add hammockforums.net right after that. so maybe 2 links.

Hammock
    yes please
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    kevlar straps
    Quote Originally Posted by wilsonlin45 View Post
    If you ever find yourself lost in the wilderness, the eye-catching colors of a hammock make for an excellent flag to signal emergency rescue crews. The large surface area allows the hammock to catch the wind and let's you fly a flag that is highly visible for miles around.
    I think you should add something about the ability to make a hot air balloon.

Hammock
    currently hammeck envy
    Tarp
    superfly, tadpole
    Insulation
    phnx,zepp,jbrdge
    Suspension
    straps, hammock an
    Quote Originally Posted by alifeoutdoors View Post
    Actually you could've saved a lot of typing and effort by just making your blog entry one hyperlink:

http://theultimatehang.com/
    Agreed. Can't be beat
    It's not the boulders that throw us off balance, it's the pebbles beneath our feet

Quote Originally Posted by Ratdog View Post
    Is this a student project?
    Or is this a revenue generating personal blog?
    Or is this a commercial blog?

Curious as to the target audience, aside from the generic 'newbies'.

Write what you know, your journey. Limited though it may be, others will benefit from your experience.
    Trying to write as an expert won't make it until you log the time to gain the wisdom, no matter how many folks try to contribute ideas.

Keeping it simple, having a focus, will make a world of difference. Stay away from the history of hammocks unless you're prepared to dig a little deeper. Each paragraph should have a few central points that could literally be bullets, I'm not getting that so far.

Appreciate your efforts, never can have too many primers but the devil is in the details and nuance matters. Example, you can read all you want and watch as many videos you want on lacing in a heel lock on your hiking boots but if they forget to tell you to only pull the laces towards the toes when tightening, they've missed a key component and wasted their time and yours creating said video or writeup. So I'd be inclined to either edit your complete writeup in exhaustive detail ensuring that critical points are covered or again, encourage you to describe your journey. Editing en masse yields cumbersome regurgitation rather than elegant wordsmithing.

This is a commercial blog. Our audience consists of campers, and people looking to learn about hammocks.
    What I had originally was the journey of me and my partner and our combined experience. I reached out to the forum to fact check and see if there were any glaring mistakes (which there were!)
    I'm working on making the article much more concise and to the point. Thanks!

Hammock
    Chameleon, wbxlc
    Tarp
    Dutch ultralight
    Insulation
    HG 0 underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie, webbing
    Besides all the good content changes and addition suggestions from my fellow hangers, I also think you need to pay close attention to readability.
    Make it easy to read, not two many lines per paragraph. use bullets to hit key points. Add pictures between sections. A good example of writing style would be look and any political direct mail letter, they are written to make the reader want to continue reading from page to page.

An OK content piece laid out well will be more helpful to a newbie than a great content piece that is hard to read.

In direct mail there is a saying:

Non word - words
    Non sentence - sentences
    Non paragraph - paragraphs

The point is write the piece like you are actually talking, not writing an english paper.

Hammock
    DIY TC
    Tarp
    12x14 chinook
    Insulation
    DIY insultec UQ
    Suspension
    grand trunk straps
    Images
    In the insulation section you might want to mention using reflectix ( car window shade) as a bottom insulating layer.😊

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Definitely google Ridge Runner or other bridge hammocks. They are not your "Mayan" hammock, they offer more visibility - ability to see around you - than a gathered end, and are darned comfortable. That said, they do require trees further apart so can be a little more difficult to "site".

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123