Hammock
    Eno CamoNest
    Tarp
    Eno ProFly
    Insulation
    Snugpak Blanket
    Suspension
    Circle Straps
    Zilla and alfieoutdoors, I agree. This forum is what converted me to hanging. I love Derek's book, and this forum helps me keep up with whats new in the constantly changing environment of hammock camping. And wilsonlin45, you might mention the very customizable and Do-It-Yourself nature of hammock camping. It's looking pretty good.
    Slowly swaying in a hammock is my version of a steady morphine drip, without the risk of renal failure.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wilsonlin45 View Post
    Can you elaborate on the condensation? And thanks for the input on the length. I'll work on making it more concise and clarifying the bivy part.
    Boatloads of information on condensation on HF. A CCF pad (or any pad) is a vapor barrier, as are space blankets. If it weren't for condensation, pads would rule the world and we wouldn't have underquilts! There's a small percentage of people who don't experience condensation (here comes Duct Tape) with pads. However, for most people, they're going to get condensation with pads.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wilsonlin45 View Post
    Agreed, I think this forum has a ton of good information and it's where I started looking when I first converted to hammocks. I did find that I had to search a lot and sift through a lot of threads to find the information I was looking for. We want to create a one-stop resource for the traditional tent camper to learn more about hammocking without the commitment and effort of searching through forums.

Thanks for the great feedback so far everyone!
    Sorry to hear you had so much trouble with the HF new hanger searchs. We do much better with one on one questions posted.
    That said this forum is all about getting the new hammock camper started on the right foot. We also promote LNT which includes tree damage.

I am sure many here would be interested in looking at your blog please feel free to post a link.
    Just be ready if something isn't quite right we are pretty passionate about this hobby.

O&B
    HFMod

Hammock
    Dream-Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    HG Cuben W/ Doors
    Insulation
    EE UQ+LocoLibre TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie+DutchBling
    Everything you need to know in 50 characters: http://www.youtube.com/user/shugemery - subscribe.
    Hang the good hang.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by alifeoutdoors View Post
    Actually you could've saved a lot of typing and effort by just making your blog entry one hyperlink:

http://theultimatehang.com/
    That's what I was thinking..
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    Dream-Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    HG Cuben W/ Doors
    Insulation
    EE UQ+LocoLibre TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie+DutchBling
    Quote Originally Posted by alifeoutdoors View Post
    Actually you could've saved a lot of typing and effort by just making your blog entry one hyperlink:

http://theultimatehang.com/
    Yep. Sorry, wilsonlin45, but it's already been done VERY well and with great illustrations to boot.
    Hang the good hang.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Anytime anyone presents a how to guide, I think there should always be references to other sources of information to cover gaps in knowledge. Mentioning Hammock Forums and The Ultimate Hang would be good for people that want to further research hammock camping. I think you can also mention what qualifies you to advise beginners. Mention how much experience you have and/or how much research you have done. The passionate hangers here have knowledge gained through countless hours reading through threads, spending hundreds and hundreds of dollars on hammock gear and hours and hours of fiddling with said gear and we're still learning. You don't have to know it all to help others but you have to know where you can point them.

With regards to spreader bars, you are correct when talking about the old rope hammocks but spreader bars are used differently for bridge hammocks such as the Warbonnet Ridgerunner or the JacksRbetter Bear Mountain bridge hammock. These allow a very flat lay and are favoured by many side sleepers.
    Last edited by Bubba; 02-09-2016 at 21:58.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    There is so much information to sort through here at HF that people frequently find it daunting as a first introduction to hammock camping. The best place to send people is to the woods.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB SF and WL TP
    Insulation
    UGQ & HG
    Suspension
    multiple
    Images
    I'd like to commend you for your efforts of doing your best to inform the uninformed. It's not an easy task, and while it has been done in the past by others as noted in previous comments here, there's always room for new presentations of ideas and different styles in presenting them.

As it is common knowledge around here, hammock camping can seem very complex and confusing to newcomers. In an effort to introduce people to this way of camping without flooding their senses with an elongated list of information, maybe try a different angle with the write-up. My recommendation would be to write it as if it were an advertisement. Maybe start by getting the reader to think about the discomforts they've experienced sleeping on the ground whether it be in a tent, in a bivy, or just out on the ground under the stars. While their overall experience camping might've been great, their sleep may have not been so great, and that's where we introduce them to the idea of hammock camping.

At this point, I would lead in with a list of perks to sleeping in a hammock. How will your body (and maybe even your mind) benefit from sleeping in a hammock? For this, I would format that section with a bullet-style list. Something quick, easy to read, and touching on the highlights. From there, you can elaborate on each of those things listed in the above. Preferably 1 to 2 paragraphs max per item.

Something else to note of great importance is safety. When working on this introduction to hammocks for newcomers, the reader needs to be informed about proper site selection as well as using the proper gear that will sustain their weight and not have them crashing to the ground in the middle of the night. Special note to "looking for dead fall" and so forth. Also, make note about the importance of always checking gear, looking for any existing damage or defects in the components before using it. All it takes is for one component to fail to really ruin someone's slumber in a hammock.

Oh, and before I forget, including links/recommendations to other in-depth sources of information would be helpful to the readers as well in case they want to further their education on the subject matter.

Anyhow, that's my $0.02 on the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    Sorry to hear you had so much trouble with the HF new hanger searchs. We do much better with one on one questions posted.
    That said this forum is all about getting the new hammock camper started on the right foot. We also promote LNT which includes tree damage.

I am sure many here would be interested in looking at your blog please feel free to post a link.
    Just be ready if something isn't quite right we are pretty passionate about this hobby.

O&B
    HFMod
    No worries about the search - that's just the nature of forums it's a bit harder to find info than on a typical website, but there's a wealth of knowledge here if you look hard enough.
    I'll post the link when it's ready, there's definitely info on there that needs to be revised. I'm still learning and this is what this thread was meant to do. I wanted to make sure I had the best info I could gather for newcomer's before publishing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    Anytime anyone presents a how to guide, I think there should always be references to other sources of information to cover gaps in knowledge. Mentioning Hammock Forums and The Ultimate Hang would be good for people that want to further research hammock camping. I think you can also mention what qualifies you to advise beginners. Mention how much experience you have and/or how much research you have done. The passionate hangers here have knowledge gained through countless hours reading through threads, spending hundreds and hundreds of dollars on hammock gear and hours and hours of fiddling with said gear and we're still learning. You don't have to know it all to help others but you have to know where you can point them.

With regards to spreader bars, you are correct when talking about the old rope hammocks but spreader bars are used differently for bridge hammocks such as the Warbonnet Ridgerunner or the JacksRbetter Bear Mountain bridge hammock. These allow a very flat lay and are favoured by many side sleepers.
    I'll definitely be pointing them to more resources in the guide. I haven't added most of the hyperlinks I wanted to yet but there have been good comments on the thread with resources that could supplement this post.

Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    There is so much information to sort through here at HF that people frequently find it daunting as a first introduction to hammock camping. The best place to send people is to the woods.
    Those were my thoughts exactly. Jeff definitely has great articles that i'll be directing people to that are interested in learning more.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow View Post
    I'd like to commend you for your efforts of doing your best to inform the uninformed. It's not an easy task, and while it has been done in the past by others as noted in previous comments here, there's always room for new presentations of ideas and different styles in presenting them.

As it is common knowledge around here, hammock camping can seem very complex and confusing to newcomers. In an effort to introduce people to this way of camping without flooding their senses with an elongated list of information, maybe try a different angle with the write-up. My recommendation would be to write it as if it were an advertisement. Maybe start by getting the reader to think about the discomforts they've experienced sleeping on the ground whether it be in a tent, in a bivy, or just out on the ground under the stars. While their overall experience camping might've been great, their sleep may have not been so great, and that's where we introduce them to the idea of hammock camping.

At this point, I would lead in with a list of perks to sleeping in a hammock. How will your body (and maybe even your mind) benefit from sleeping in a hammock? For this, I would format that section with a bullet-style list. Something quick, easy to read, and touching on the highlights. From there, you can elaborate on each of those things listed in the above. Preferably 1 to 2 paragraphs max per item.

Something else to note of great importance is safety. When working on this introduction to hammocks for newcomers, the reader needs to be informed about proper site selection as well as using the proper gear that will sustain their weight and not have them crashing to the ground in the middle of the night. Special note to "looking for dead fall" and so forth. Also, make note about the importance of always checking gear, looking for any existing damage or defects in the components before using it. All it takes is for one component to fail to really ruin someone's slumber in a hammock.

Oh, and before I forget, including links/recommendations to other in-depth sources of information would be helpful to the readers as well in case they want to further their education on the subject matter.

Anyhow, that's my $0.02 on the matter.
    Thanks Scarecrow! Great insight on the angle of the article. Highlighting discomforts and relating to the struggles of ground systems would be a good way to engage them and point out the problems. I'll also have to add a section on safety, totally slipped my mind.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast