HH Explorer zip / LSoH WE
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex Fly
    Insulation
    HHSS/JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Mule tape/Webbing

Dialing in a JRB UQ

There is a backpacking trip I've been planning on this weekend but the forecast changed and instead of being in the teens the low is supposed to be -5F with a high of 15F.

I got my new jrb mount washington 4 last week and I've hung in it twice so far and I couldn't get it to sit right on the 2nd hang. The first hang was a low of 30F and I was sweating and tried to vent but couldn't get it right and the UQ sat high on my HH Explorer dx, the next night it was 24F and I struggled to stay warm the first few hours, I couldn't get the quilt to sit right & my feet kept popping out to about mid calf. I finally took my reflectix sit pad and stuck it in the foot box of my high sierra sniveller and was ok the rest of the night, slept 6 straight hours. Both nights I was only in a tshirt, shorts and regular socks. The only thing I changed between the two nights other than location was I took the HHSS cover off because I had a LOT of condensation by feet the first night

Clothes wise I'll have my light weight base layer for hiking and I bring my heavy weight layer I could always combine these for sleeping and I'll have my thick loose wool socks and balaclava. I'll also have my uniqlo parka (my pillow and mid layer or outer layer when hiking) and my kirkland down jacket

Normally I'd have my HHSS cover only, thermarest ridgerest and my full mss and that takes me to -10F comfortably but I just bought these quilts and would like to enjoy the weight savings if I could. Are there any tips anyone can offer? I'm concerned I'll be at the lower limits of my gear and if I can't get things right I don't want to be cold and its not an easy bail out being its a 6 mile hike in

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    The issue is most likely the use of the HHSS....It is designed for use with a thin pad not a thick, lofted UQ...It is compressing the UQ and it is trapping the condensation... And unless you are drying the UQ thoroughly between these two events, the condensation remained in the UQ further reducing efficiency beyond the HHSS compression issues.

Also, if your feet ever slide beyond any properly positioned UQ the foot end of the hammock probably needs to be raised on that tree so that you do not slide in the hammock passed the end or edge of a UQ.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex Fly
    Insulation
    HHSS/JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Mule tape/Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    The issue is most likely the use of the HHSS....It is designed for use with a thin pad not a thick, lofted UQ...It is compressing the UQ and it is trapping the condensation... And unless you are drying the UQ thoroughly between these two events, the condensation remained in the UQ further reducing efficiency beyond the HHSS compression issues.

Also, if your feet ever slide beyond any properly positioned UQ the foot end of the hammock probably needs to be raised on that tree so that you do not slide in the hammock passed the end or edge of a UQ.

Pan
    Thanks, I had the quilt on the outside of the HHSS but it was only the cover no pad or space blanket in the HHSS, I do think I had my foot end higher the 1st night now that you mention it, I'll try again with the foot end 6" to a foot higher and see how it goes

thanks again

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex Fly
    Insulation
    HHSS/JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Mule tape/Webbing
    Turns out the issue was i didn't hang the quilt correctly

Here I had the quilt suspension using a prusik which made the quilt too narrow and thats why my feet popped out or I caused air gaps no matter how well cinched the quilt was

When I did a larks head at the end of the hennessy sock and then came forward of the sock and you drop the carabiners inside the line you just carried forward, it makes all the difference in the world and allows the center carabiner to connect to the line you created that runs under the hennessy sock

You can see how much wider the quilt sits now

If that was confusing I found this video on the nest and its the same setup for the mw4

Hope this helps someone else out with a mount washington 4 or any of the jacks r better full length quilts

• + New Posts