Tarp
    SLD 4 Season
    Insulation
    EE UQ and EE TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Hanger Enthusiast - Newcomer

Greetings Everyone,

My name is Seth from Nashwauk, Mn. In the 70s and 80s my parents winter camped in the BW often, unfortunately they were older parents when they had me so I never explored with them.

Fortunately I moved from the Twin Cities to the Iron Range in 2011 with my girlfriend - now wife. We have two girls, and last year I brought my oldest girl, Brooke (age 2 at the time) to Snowbank Lake and Lake Disappointment. It was, by far, my favorite BW trip out of the 10 under my belt.

Throughout my trips to the BW I've always brought a tent but would mostly sleep in my Hammock. This year I have 6 permits for the spring, summer, and fall, and I plan to hang for all of them. Leaving the tent at home will be a great decision come spring - I can feel it.

This website is great and I look forward to chatting with some of you. Currently I'm looking for some tarp advice, but otherwise the gear I have has been packed and re-packed out of pure excitement for the first trip of the season, EP64 E. Bearskin Lake.

Regards,

Seth Young

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    Welcome Seth, long time BWCA hiker/paddler, my favorite place to be in the wide, wide world. Ask away about tarps, you will get many, many useful opinions and suggestions

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    SLD 4 Season
    Insulation
    EE UQ and EE TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    It looks like OES isn't worth the trouble, and I'm not patient enough. Right now I'm going to use a basic tarp that you'd get from Lowes. I've been tent camping with these tarps for years now, and it seems I can keep using it until I find a new tarp that I really like.

The four season tarp that OES supplies/offers looks great. Is there any other recommendations for similar tarps from another company?

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    I've had the OES 4 season and had the same issues with customer service so many have. Shame, it was a great tarp. Really any of the vendors on here make an outstanding "winter" tarp. The superfly from warbonnet is practically a cult, Simply Light Designs, great tarp blazing fast delivery, Wilderness Logics, more great tarps. Being primarily a backpacker first I just moved to a cuben fiber winter palace from hammock gear. I loved my superfly, but I hate, hate getting wet and have always sworn by a 10 x 12 tarp. This is just me, a lot of people on here like a smaller tarp. However with the temperament of the north woods and particularly canoe country, I use a winter tarp year round. Especially since I push the fringe seasons for the solitude. Anyway I may be forgetting a vendor but I'd start with those three for a very nice 4 season sil tarp.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    SLD 4 Season
    Insulation
    EE UQ and EE TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    That's perfect advice, thank you - exactly what I'm looking for. Glad to see someone else is thinking the same way about camping; it makes me think I might not be as crazy as I tell myself. Thanks again.

• + New Posts