Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG Inc. 20/Bur. 30
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images

Cat cuts on a wide and long hammock?

In the near future I am going to make a new wide and long hammock (11 ½ or 12 feet) (XL HyperD).
    I have been thinking about adding cat cuts to the sides (not a new thing) but I am unsure how deep I should make the cuts. What is your experience?
    The reason I want to make the cuts is to reduce the weight and bulk but it will also improve the view from the hammock to some degree.
    If there is nothing left to learn it’s time to die.
    Live and learn.

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I suggest getting in touch with Jared at Simply Light Designs. He offers a hammock that has cat cut long edges.

Cheers

Brian
    Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment. - Unknown

Hammock
    6x12 1.6oz Hyper D
    Tarp
    DIY Membrane 9x9
    Suspension
    Straps + Evenk
    Images
    I have two 12ft hammocks (well, about 11ft 8in after hemming/whipping/etc). One of them is 1.6oz HyperD XL.

I do a whipped end hammock, instead of a sewn channel. Because of that I can very easily change the way the hammock hangs just by re-whipping it. I've played around with all sorts of things trying to find out what is more comfortable to me, and what I've found is that I can't stand the sides being tight. I got shoulder squeeze, as well as not being able to see out of it at all. I even for a while tried a few where the sides were so loose that I could almost fall out of the hammock (not really fun to sleep in...).

The way that I have it right now, the edges are only about ~4in above where I lay. It gives me a great view, and its nice a comfortable.

I've never used a cat cut hammock, but it seems to me if you're paying for a wider hammock, it doesn't make tons of sense to then purposely cut it narrower. Thats just my two cents.

Hammock
    My own, durtsurf
    Tarp
    My own, durtsurf
    Insulation
    My own, durtsurf
    Suspension
    My own, durtsurf
    I have no idea, BUT... How about making a pretty big cut, then if it's too much add a strip too each side. You could use a different color and have a stylish hammock.
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowball View Post
    In the near future I am going to make a new wide and long hammock (11 ½ or 12 feet) (XL HyperD).
    I have been thinking about adding cat cuts to the sides (not a new thing) but I am unsure how deep I should make the cuts. What is your experience?
    The reason I want to make the cuts is to reduce the weight and bulk but it will also improve the view from the hammock to some degree.
    I design and build custom outdoor gear personally in Bend Oregon. I strive for excellent weight and price characteristics in my products, making many of my products fair weather orientated. Money back guarantee for defects or dissatisfaction. I can be found as Durtsurf on facebook, Ebay and youtube.
    https://www.facebook.com/durtsurf/?ref=hl
    https://www.youtube.com/user/dirtsurf1

• + New Posts