Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Great feedback! Thanks guys!

Just to clarify my understanding: I guess the only determining factor in picking an UQ (assuming you have one that will keep you warm enough - and excluding cost) is bulk/weight?

Lower rated (down to lower degrees) UQs don't make it hotter, they just prevent you from getting cold at lower temperatures...so if bulk/weight wasn't an issue - you might as well get a really,really low temp rated UQ, right?

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisgarrison888 View Post
    Just to clarify my understanding: I guess the only determining factor in picking an UQ (assuming you have one that will keep you warm enough - and excluding cost) is bulk/weight?

Lower rated (down to lower degrees) UQs don't make it hotter, they just prevent you from getting cold at lower temperatures...so if bulk/weight wasn't an issue - you might as well get a really,really low temp rated UQ, right?
    In the most basic sense, yes, that is correct.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC, DUTCHWARE, ETC...
    Tarp
    HG WP/Standard
    Insulation
    HG INCUBATOR/PHOEN
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Cinch
    I don't live far from Birmingham, AL., and I've been primarily using my full length 0 degree under quilt all fall/winter without issue, and I'm a very hot sleeper. The highest temps that I've used it in, however, have only been about 50-55 degrees degrees. If I wake up hot, I just vent my overbuilt. A friend of mine who backpacks with me a lot (and is a smaller guy than I am) uses a 20 degree uq and I have had him tell me he has gotten cold a few times, usually is it's a windy night when the temps were in the 20's.

Hammock
    Dutchwear Hexon 2.4
    Tarp
    KeltyNoah12
    Insulation
    HGIncub20UQ MH20TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Yes, in retrospect, I think I should have gotten a 0* UQ because it is easy enough to just vent in warmer weather, but would get me down to some colder temps.

I'm considering selling my HG Incubator 20 so I can afford to purchase an overstuffed 0*.

Quote Originally Posted by SpitballJedi View Post
    Yes, in retrospect, I think I should have gotten a 0* UQ because it is easy enough to just vent in warmer weather, but would get me down to some colder temps.

I'm considering selling my HG Incubator 20 so I can afford to purchase an overstuffed 0*.
    What does the "overstuffed" do? More insulation/heat I'm guessing? I've seen how a bunch of manufacturers will add extra ounces for $x. ??

That probably settles it for me. I'll get a 0 degree UQ.

Any thoughts on 3/4 length vs full? I'm all for saving weight/space but not at the expense of having to rig/jack around with stuff all night long.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    That probably settles it for me. I'll get a 0 degree UQ.

Any thoughts on 3/4 length vs full? I'm all for saving weight/space but not at the expense of having to rig/jack around with stuff all night long.
    I like the full length. I tried really hard to make the 3/4 Phoenix work, but I like the ease of my Incubators. Jump in the hammock and you're done head to toe.

After I bought a Phoenix and saw them side by side, the bulk wasn't a big deal, and the 6oz difference wasn't worth it.

If I ever do get into a 3/4, it will be for warmer nights (40°+) where it's not really a big deal to keep warm anyway. As it gets colder (below freezing), getting cold can make or break a trip and keep you up all night. I refuse to ever do that again.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I don't know about a 0* overstuffed Incubator for Alabama. I'm from Alabama and can't imagine carrying that much weight for the temps you'll see.

My general rule of thumb is to have a 10* cushion above the expected lows. So if the low is 50* F, I'll bring my 40* HG quilts. If it's 30* F, I'll bring my 20* quilts. Anything below 30* F, and I'm probably going to bring my 0* quilts. A couple of weeks ago, the advertised low temps on Weather Channel were 30* F, but it got down to 17* F. Of course, I only brought my 20* Phoenix and Burrow and my feet got cold. Last week, it got down to 16 or 17* F again, but this time I brought my 0* Incubator and Burrow. I was toasty warm.

Here in NJ, I use my HG Phoenix and Burrow 20* quilts 80% of the time.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dutchwear Hexon 2.4
    Tarp
    KeltyNoah12
    Insulation
    HGIncub20UQ MH20TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    What does the "overstuffed" do? More insulation/heat I'm guessing? I've seen how a bunch of manufacturers will add extra ounces for $x. ??

I've never owned a quilt with extra stuffing, but yes, it's supposed to add more insulation for lower temps.

My immediate area is not the only place I go and I've been caught out with it getting too cold. It really depends on your intentions. If I had to do over, I'd rather have a 0* UQ and maybe some extra stuffing. Given the money for 2 UQ's, I think I'd rather have a 0* and a 40*.

I've only owned to one UQ and it's a full length. I don't think I'd care for a 3/4, except maybe for the 40*, maybe.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12