Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    Netless + Bottom Entry net
    Tarp
    Rectangle
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowball View Post
    I would go for a DL hammock.
    IMO DIY waterproofing is a thing of the past. [...] many of us have moved on [...]
    So no hope in a $30 tarp i guess . Fancy/no-stretch isn't as important to me as having something that works and is cheap. It will probably be better in the long run to make a tarp from the right fabric and make due with the tarp I've got till then.

I'll most likely make a DL hammock and depending on whats left either a SL hammock or misc. stuff. Any thoughts on the weight limit and durability of a single layer?

Hammock
    DIY 1.6 Hexon 72"x11'
    Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ&UQ/DIY's
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Don't give up hope in the cheap tarp...

This site, Oware, has silnylon 2nds and 3rds. I got a ton of ugly green silnylon seconds for cheap and made myself a winter tarp. It was heavier fabric than I would have liked, but winter camping I'm never going too far anyway. I think the reason it was considered "2nds" is just because of a little streak of extra coating on part of it. Virtually invisible as far as a flaw goes.
    "The trees were like lace where the star-beams could chase, each leaf was a jewel agleam.

The soft white hush lapped the Northland and wrapped us round in a crystalline dream."

Robert Service

Hammock
    Tarp
    Rectangle
    I just re-measured the fabric, it is just over 10 yds long and 50" wide and weighs exactly 1 lb according to bathroom scale. What would the weight limit of a single layer be if I made a sewn channel gathered end hammock?
    Last edited by jabraso; 02-09-2016 at 18:18. Reason: incorrect information

Hammock
    Several DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG Inc. 20/Bur. 30
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    If only 50” wide i am not sure i would make a hammock. ”Normal” hammock fabric is 58-60” wide. If its 50” wide now it will be around 48” when its hemmed. It will be a very narrow hammock. I have never tried a hammock that narrow but I doubt it will be comfortable. If you decide to make a hammock anyway make it long. It will to some degree compensate for the missing width but it will never be the same.
    If there is nothing left to learn it’s time to die.
    Live and learn.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Rectangle
    I think I'll try whipping a 10' single layer hammock and if I like it I'll add a second layer. If I don't like the width I think I'll make a hammock sock which might compliment my setup.

Hammock
    Several DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG Inc. 20/Bur. 30
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Good idea with the whipping but don’t cut it.
    Depending on how tall you are 10’ is a relative short hammock. The shorter the hammock the more banana shape again depending on how tall you are. Remember you can reduce the length but you can’t extend it
    Comfort is individual but I am just 6’ and I prefer 11’ or longer when the hammock is ≥58” wide.
    If you are very careful and don’t sit on the edge you could make a test without sewing anything at all just whipping just to see if it works for you. I have done it a few times and I am about 190lbs but there is a small risk.
    Live and learn.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Rectangle
    Good idea with the whipping but don’t cut it.
    Depending on how tall you are 10’ is a relative short hammock. The shorter the hammock the more banana shape again depending on how tall you are. Remember you can reduce the length but you can’t extend it
    Comfort is individual but I am just 6’ and I prefer 11’ or longer when the hammock is ≥58” wide.
    I'm 5'9" and have been using a 114"x60" hammock with no issues. My tarp is only 10' so until I get a bigger tarp 10' is my hammock limit. It sorta has doors that snap around my hammock suspension.

If you are very careful and don’t sit on the edge you could make a test without sewing anything at all just whipping just to see if it works for you. I have done it a few times and I am about 190lbs but there is a small risk.
    If it does work I wonder if it is possible to finish the sides with grosgrain or something to avoid loosing width in a hem...

Hammock
    Several DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG Inc. 20/Bur. 30
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jsorensen View Post
    I'm 5'9" and have been using a 114"x60" hammock with no issues. My tarp is only 10' so until I get a bigger tarp 10' is my hammock limit. It sorta has doors that snap around my hammock suspension.

If it does work I wonder if it is possible to finish the sides with grosgrain or something to avoid loosing width in a hem...
    I guess you could use grosgrain but you will only gain 1" or so. I doubt its worth it.
    Live and learn.

Hammock
    diy 10' tie dye
    Tarp
    PahaQue rainfly
    Insulation
    tiedye cs uq/tq
    Suspension
    soft shack/cinch b
    i got a cheap hammock from walmart so we could all try out hammock sleeping... it had about 6" wide strips of darker color fabric sewn on to either side... i assume it was to increase the width, but it also could have just been for decoration. they sewed it on with a flat felled seam... doing something like that could give you some extra width if you needed but then you'd use up some of the rest of your fabric.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Rectangle
    Quote Originally Posted by johne View Post
    i got a cheap hammock from walmart so we could all try out hammock sleeping... it had about 6" wide strips of darker color fabric sewn on to either side... i assume it was to increase the width, but it also could have just been for decoration. they sewed it on with a flat felled seam... doing something like that could give you some extra width if you needed but then you'd use up some of the rest of your fabric.
    Interesting thought. I wonder how it would affect the structural integrity of the hammock over all to have a seam running lengthwise.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast