Hammock
    diy 10' tie dye
    Tarp
    PahaQue rainfly
    Insulation
    tiedye cs uq/tq
    Suspension
    soft shack/cinch b
    those two seams don't even appear to have any stress on them when i'm in it... here are some pics:

IMG_3767.jpg

IMG_3765.jpg

IMG_3764.jpg

Hammock
    Netless + Bottom Entry net
    Tarp
    Rectangle
    Quote Originally Posted by johne View Post
    those two seams don't even appear to have any stress on them when i'm in it[...]]
    Good to know. Aside from offending those with OCD, could the extension be done just on one side? It would save sewing 1 lengthwise seam and cutting a second long narrow strip.

Hammock
    DIY 11.5 ft
    Tarp
    DIY xenon sil 5300
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    Quote Originally Posted by jsorensen View Post
    I'm 5'9" and have been using a 114"x60" hammock with no issues. My tarp is only 10' so until I get a bigger tarp 10' is my hammock limit. It sorta has doors that snap around my hammock suspension.

If it does work I wonder if it is possible to finish the sides with grosgrain or something to avoid loosing width in a hem...

I think there was a thread started a couple of months ago about using blanket binding on the long edges to finish a hammock. Blanket binding may be lighter and more flexible than grosgrain. Try searching for his thread and see if there is any info there that could be useful.

Hammock
    11' Hexon 1.6, Poly D 1.3
    Tarp
    HG Standard Cuben
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    12' tree straps to
    Images
    There are a few commercial hammocks, the Eno Doublenest for instance, that are made with strips on the side like that so i wouldn't be too worried about it. I would worry that adding to only one side would put the seam in a mre load bearing place though.

Hammock
    diy insulated 10.5
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    becket hitch
    Try the blanket binding. It would allow you to run some shock cord down part of it to incorporate a knotty mod.
    Crayons - they might look different, but they all taste the same

Hammock
    My own, durtsurf
    Tarp
    My own, durtsurf
    Insulation
    My own, durtsurf
    Suspension
    My own, durtsurf
    Try making a tarp. You might find the fabric pretty water resistant, not like you get a lot of moisture in Utah. Single layer hammock if you are under 175 pounds I'd say. You could also make a big sun shade for hanging out in your back yard.
    I design and build custom outdoor gear personally in Bend Oregon. I strive for excellent weight and price characteristics in my products, making many of my products fair weather orientated. Money back guarantee for defects or dissatisfaction. I can be found as Durtsurf on facebook, Ebay and youtube.
    https://www.facebook.com/durtsurf/?ref=hl
    https://www.youtube.com/user/dirtsurf1

Hammock
    Tarp
    Rectangle
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowball View Post
    Good idea with the whipping but don’t cut it.[...]
    [I]If you are very careful and don’t sit on the edge you could make a test without sewing anything at all just whipping just to see if it works for you. I have done it a few times and I am about 190lbs but there is a small risk.
    Thanks for the suggestion! I "whipped up" a 10 footer and tested it. It was a little narrow, but seemed about as comfortable as my 114" one. It takes a little more shifting to get a good lay. Now I'm not sure if it is worth the extra effort and fabric to add the extensions on the side. I want to make a double layer to help with a pad, I'm thinking of only doubling the main portion and leaving the extensions single layered (if i do them). Tomorrow I think I'll fold the fabric in half and whip it into a DL and try it with a pad before I decide.

Quote Originally Posted by brianb View Post
    Try the blanket binding. It would allow you to run some shock cord down part of it to incorporate a knotty mod.
    What are the advantages of the mod? Would it help a narrower hammock?

Hammock
    diy insulated 10.5
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    becket hitch
    I have two hammocks made from the 50" width fabric. I'm 5'10" and about 180. The problem I run into is that with the narrower hammock your feet tend to pop out. When you get in a narrow hammock you're going to give priority to getting your head and torso situated. Then you're going to find that diagonal lay that gets you flat. That's where the problem comes in on a narrow hammock, you feet tend to get a little to close to the edge and sometimes pop out. Also, you TQ will find that same spot and try to make a run for it.

NarrowHammockLay.png

By doing a Knotty Mod you're creating a footbox that will create a pocket and help prevent that from happening. (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=29560 or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0VfSILeRGs)

Also, specifically for narrow hammocks check out Sgt Rock's video on his sub one pound hammock and the modifications he made.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkdsmxQS2NE

Good luck
    Crayons - they might look different, but they all taste the same

Hammock
    Tarp
    Rectangle
    Quote Originally Posted by brianb View Post
    I have two hammocks made from the 50" width fabric. I'm 5'10" and about 180. The problem I run into is that with the narrower hammock your feet tend to pop out. When you get in a narrow hammock you're going to give priority to getting your head and torso situated. Then you're going to find that diagonal lay that gets you flat. That's where the problem comes in on a narrow hammock, you feet tend to get a little to close to the edge and sometimes pop out. Also, you TQ will find that same spot and try to make a run for it.[...]

By doing a Knotty Mod you're creating a footbox that will create a pocket and help prevent that from happening.[...]
    Great insight! This seems like the best rout for me. I will try the blanket binding and doing the mod on a double layer.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Rectangle

Cool Finished

Finally had some time to finish this project. Ended up doing a single layer with width extensions. Final result was 10' X 59" with a sewn channel. It is incredibly light weight, but shows no signs of over stressing the fabric or stitches with my wight (which is why I went with a SL). It is also very comfortable and a suitable upgrade from my GT UL. Waiting for a nice day to make sure it still fits under my tarp.

20160312_165430.jpg
    20160312_165332.jpg
    20160312_165352.jpg
    20160312_165302.jpg Camera flash made it look more translucent than it really is

I also used some of the extra fabric to make a short hammock for my daughter, and I'm glad I decided to make it before the main hammock! I wasn't careful about the width of the channel and just sort of did it without measuring or pinning and ended up loosing over a foot of length leaving it 8' X 4'. I figured it could also double as a gear hammock or chair for day hikes.

Also I still have a good amount of fabric left to use for small projects like stuff sacks or whatnot.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123