WBRR or 11' PolyD
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    SpdrPoly Cinch Bug
    Quote Originally Posted by LBSurfer View Post
    Chrisja77 - the DL option is something I'm definitely looking at. I'm weight averse on that option though as well.
    If you are using a sleeping bag you can put the pad inside the sleeping bag to prevent it from moving around. Pads aren't the best with a hammock but they do work and it's much better than being on the ground on a pad. I'd be more concerned about getting a double layer hammock if you had a top quilt since that won't hold the pad in place as well as a sleeping bag. Once I went to an under quilt I haven't worried about a double layer hammock ever since. Two layers adds to the weight and bulk and doesn't provide much of a benefit for the penalty. I still own a DL hammock, I just don't use it for backpacking anymore. I guess it might provide some benefit against bugs but only if it was hot enough to sleep without any under insulation and if you go with the Fronkey net, it basically covers the bottom of the hammock anyways so a DL isn't needed. Just my thoughts...

I love all the helpful information that is proffered here.

Hammock
    6x12 1.6oz Hyper D
    Tarp
    DIY Membrane 9x9
    Suspension
    Straps + Evenk
    Images
    A tinkering bunch. I think I'll like it here. I do like the DIY feel of this place, although I have to admit that my DIY abilities are more centered on knives and hard goods than sewing. Not that I'm opposed to learning, just a new skill set. And there's nothing wrong with that!
    I'm the same way. The "hard goods" are easier for my brain to understand, but thats probably just because of familiarity. I'm not an "expert" at woodworking, but have done a few fun projects by myself (knife block, Subwoofer disguised as an end table, etc), and grew up doing them with my father. Same thing with knives (I attempt sheaths/handle scales/etc, only for myself.). I'm no expert at all with sewing, but thats why I'm working on sewing.

So far I've made like 7 hammocks (helping the scout troop I work with), and got the materials for a climashield Apex TQ and a 9x9 silpoly tarp today. I ordered it because cost is the main thing for me, and for the same money, I saw that I could make something substantially better than what was commercially available for the same price. So I guess learning to sew better just happened because of that.

Oh, and I see no reason for a dual layer hammock. I haven't had an issue with my pad moving around on me when I use it. So I'd just as soon save the weight/bulk. However, I don't use a normal gathered end hammock (I whip mine), and the way I have them whipped right now gives a different lay than it sounds like most people have. Its also possible that I'm not as sensitive to it or something like that, I'm not quite sure. So, your mileage may vary, thats all I'm saying.

Hammock
    DW 11' Hexon 1.6 Olive Green
    Tarp
    YO Walkabout Tarp
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag w/Pad
    Suspension
    DW Whoopie Slings
    So close to pulling the trigger! Just waiting for PayPal money to clear! Getting excited!

Hammock
    6x12 1.6oz Hyper D
    Tarp
    DIY Membrane 9x9
    Suspension
    Straps + Evenk
    Images
    I may have missed it, but what exactly are you getting ready to order?

Everyone always likes to know how these things work out in the end .

Hammock
    Tarp
    YO Walkabout Tarp
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag w/Pad
    Suspension
    DW Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by ocnlogan View Post
    I may have missed it, but what exactly are you getting ready to order?

Everyone always likes to know how these things work out in the end .
    I'll wait until I actually pull the trigger so I'm not premature with the celebration

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    0° Zepp/Ren...UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware bb sus
    Images
    All this advice is why I joined this forum. Thanks guys! And, please, keep it coming. Totally newbie here - gonna check out a local group hang (if there are any) and see what's up.
    Exactly, and insulation is much more import when hanging vs the ground. You WILL want to upgrade it. I was smart and brought extra with me in case I got too cold when I switched from ground dweller to hanger, and not only did I need it, but what I had wasn't enough and I still had to buy different gear.
    Sports Authority carries a $35 single width hammock that is pretty darn good. I'd still be using it, but I wanted to try a double width, and I really like the Double much better. I'll probably upgrade this year to one from one of the vendors on here

Hammock
    Tarp
    YO Walkabout Tarp
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag w/Pad
    Suspension
    DW Whoopie Slings
    WalksIn2Trees - great advice. Being an engineer and a tinkering, I already want to upgrade and I don't even have a setup! I have been accused in the past (and rightfully so) of being a gear junkie. I'm really into weight and performance. Sometimes the problem with that approach is to the detriment of the experience and that's something I'm really trying to work on. Getting out there is F-A-R more important than getting your gear just right or having the smallest/lightest pack.

I also have a few old, nagging injuries that keep me from always enjoying ground dwelling. Back and knee injuries make getting up in the morning difficult. Shug had a great video (look here - I linked right to the point I was talking about) about getting up in the morning, putting you boots on and doing the crawl to stand. I'm sick of that on the ground.

The addition of a young family and living in a ridiculously expensive area of the country (the moment I can leave Long Island, I will) makes budget tight.

Bottom line is that this adventure I've started myself on is as much a mental exercise - can I build a decent kit that hits on all my needs for fairly low dollars (w/o DIY right now as that requires some skill learning) - as it is an exercise in getting back in touch with nature.

So, that was probably WAY more of a response than you you expected out of your post. I kind of felt compelled to write simply because I have been thinking about this a lot lately.

The best news I got last night was from the wife. She's been adamant about me NOT going out on a solo overnight. But, she's opening up to the idea and understand that I kind of need these things and can't always rely on people to go with me. A lot of my friends down here are busy and getting together with my friends up in New England isn't always the easiest thing in the world. I just have to pick spots with cellphone coverage. Sounds like a good compromise to me!

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    There is some really good advice in this thread so far which shows why HF is one of the best forums on the interwebs.

Concerning the gear purchases...there's a saying around here, "buy once, cry once". That's something you really need to chew on. As one of the fellas that cliche was created for, I can assure you it's a good concept. I did what many folks do and bought the most inexpensive stuff I could fine. Maybe not the MOST inexpensive stuff I could find, but budget was my #1 consideration. Fast forward a few years and I've spent many times more than that on upgrades. If I could do it all over again, money would be one of my last criteria and I'd just space my purchases out over several months. So my advice is to buy what you really really want and figure a way to pay for it.

Another thing to consider is that the resale market for quality gear in the HF classifieds is VERY STRONG. If you buy a high dollar item that you find is just not for you, you'll have no problem getting most of your money back.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    The best news I got last night was from the wife. She's been adamant about me NOT going out on a solo overnight. But, she's opening up to the idea and understand that I kind of need these things and can't always rely on people to go with me. A lot of my friends down here are busy and getting together with my friends up in New England isn't always the easiest thing in the world. I just have to pick spots with cellphone coverage. Sounds like a good compromise to me!
    Really? Before I ever married my wife she knew I was prone to disappearing. After my mother died, I went up into the mountains of Arizona and not only wouldn't tell her where I was going, but when I'd be back. After about three days of clearing my head, I came home.

If I tell my wife where I'm going she'll find some excuse to ruin my trip. I lost my cellphone once at Fall MAHHA - the person who found it called my wife, who called in a missing persons to the Maryland State Police and they came out in the woods and found me. Another time I took the kids to the Adirondacks in a place we had never ever gotten cell phone coverage. About four days into our trip, I hear my son talking to someone and it turns out to be my wife, who says we must come home because of Hurricane Irene. I don't know how he got cell coverage (we haven't gotten any since). As it turned out, they closed the Garden State Parkway and my exit was just minutes from getting closed when I got home.

This weekend I'm going camping in the Pine Barrens - overnight lows will be somewhere between 0* F and -15 F. "What if you freeze to death?" she asks.

"It's car camping. I can drive home if I get too cold."

"But what if you freeze to death in the hammock?" she asks.

"Why would I freeze to death? If I'm too cold I'll go home."

"But what if you are in the hammock and you're unconscious and don't know you're freezing to death?"

That's why I shut off the cell phone and won't tell her where I'm going.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast