DW 11' Hexon 1.6 Olive Green
    Tarp
    YO Walkabout Tarp
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag w/Pad
    Suspension
    DW Whoopie Slings

Cost-Conscious Setup

So, I've been thinking about getting into the hammock game for many reasons and have been thinking a lot about how to get my sleep system together with a hammock setup but not break the bank doing it.

Right now I'm a ground sleeper, so let's start with my current setup:

Item
    Weight
    Cost
    Marmot Tungsten 1P Tent
    3lbs 15oz
    $140
    Trailhead +20F UL Sleeping Bag
    2lbs 14oz
    $75
    Trail Lite Sleeping Pad
    1lbs 13oz
    $70
    Total
    8lbs 10oz
    $285

Here's the kit I'm thinking about putting together for a low-budget, low-weight hammock kit:

Item
    Weight
    Cost
    ENO Sub 7 Hammock
    6.5oz
    $70
    DW Cinch Buckle Complete Suspension
    8.2oz
    $35
    Trail Lite Sleeping Pad
    1lbs 13oz
    $70
    2Go System Bivy (for tarp)
    11.7oz
    $40
    2Go System Bivy
    11.7oz
    $40
    Coughlin Mosquito Head Net
    0.3oz
    $5
    Total
    4lbs 3.4oz
    $260

So, even if I add in a Sea To Summit Thermolite Mummy Liner (14oz, $68) and account for another pound of weight for stakes and guylines (which I have, so cost is zero), my final sleep systems would be 5lbs 1.4oz and cost $328.

Cost-wise, my setup would be able the same, but I'd cut the weight basically in half.

Thoughts?

And, before you ask...yes, this setup was influenced by RevHiker on YouTube.

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Welcome to the hang, from Florida.

If it works for you, it's right. This would work for others and not work for even more.

For me, I also like low cost items. I DIY my system and for less than $60, my system works for me down to 23*F. It's also not for everyone but it keeps me off the ground and I have no "if I have to go to ground" dual purpose items.

Don't let anyone fool you into believing their system is better. If yours gets you into the woods it's better than none. Upgrade when you have the means or check out group hangs for other ideas that will suit your taste, budget, skills.

Have fun with your new hobby and get to the woods.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    Tarp
    YO Walkabout Tarp
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag w/Pad
    Suspension
    DW Whoopie Slings
    Thanks Floridahanger - makes sense to me. I'm more looking for major pitfalls or missing items than anything else. Being a mechanical engineer by trade, I'm always tinkering, so I'm sure this won't be my final setup. I always like to ask about input from folks before I spend more than a few bucks on something.

That being said, you're general advice is well taken...and, yes, getting out into the woods is top priority!

Hammock
    DW netless/JS Full net
    Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 40
    Suspension
    Dutch buckle/strap
    Welcome to the group. Florida hanger is right on with his advice. I don't know how much hammock experience you have (as far as laying in them) but I find longer more comfy. You could try a Dutch hammock with all the options for less than or equal to the cost of the sub 7 and may have more comfort. If you find you don't like it they retain their resale value well. you could also start out with your bag as a top quilt to save money.
    Look up before you hook up!!
    Originally Posted by body942
    Me big. Me like hammockgear burrow. Long. Problems no. People good.

Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I kinda agree with Rick, but I'd like to know how that sub 7 works after a few field tests. I had been looking at it but hadn't wanted to pull the trigger because of the length. I'm about 6'3". The only advice I would add is to consider a full bug net instead of a head net. The head net would work fine, but you would still be able to hear the mosquitos buzzing around your ears unless you bring some earplugs.

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    There are maybe thousands of different combinations you can make with hammock and tarps.

One that I think is not very expensive for a complete setup is Darien single layer with cinch buckle suspension by Dream Hammock for around $125 depending on how long tree straps you need. Add a Wilderness Logics Tadpole tarp for $85 and you will have a sub 3# system before insulation. For a little over $200.

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LBSurfer View Post
    Thanks Floridahanger - makes sense to me. I'm more looking for major pitfalls or missing items than anything else. Being a mechanical engineer by trade, I'm always tinkering, so I'm sure this won't be my final setup. I always like to ask about input from folks before I spend more than a few bucks on something.

That being said, you're general advice is well taken...and, yes, getting out into the woods is top priority!
    You're welcome. Since you asked for detailed info, I will suggest this on a budget(DIY being really low cost on some items):

-Get a longer hammock with better material from Dutch (inexpensive) or Ripstopbytheroll and DIY a hammock.
    -Get a better bugnet from a half net to full net hammock or Fronkey style bugnet (DIY was $10 for me)
    -For most hangers, a dedicated tarp works best. You will want good coverage to keep your "bed" and insulation dry from underneath splash and blowing rain/fog. A hex tarp to save a little weight and with doors for all weather protection.
    -Loose the pad and get an UQ for bottom insulation. Again, this is me. Research the pros and cons on pads vs UQ in this Forum. You'll get both points of view from many hangers.
    -Loose the SB and get a TQ. These can also be used in very much comfort in a ground setup as well as a hammock. Also can be used at home resting on a couch.

You can still use your current insulation until you can get the funds for better and lighter items. The insulation will be the most expensive, but can be DIYed very inexpensively with synthetic. This is not where you want to go cheap. To go light, it will be more expensive, of course.

I would still suggest a group hang where you can see, feel, and try out many different types of gear from many of our "Made in America" vendors with exceptional skill.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    Tarp
    YO Walkabout Tarp
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag w/Pad
    Suspension
    DW Whoopie Slings
    All this advice is why I joined this forum. Thanks guys! And, please, keep it coming. Totally newbie here - gonna check out a local group hang (if there are any) and see what's up.

Hammock
    WBRR or 11' PolyD
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    SpdrPoly Cinch Bug
    I think it would be money well spent to get a Dutch halfwit and forego the ENO and head net. It will weigh a couple ounces more and cost an extra $20 or so but I think you'll be much me comfortable in that hammock.

I'm not familiar with the tarp you mention but most will work for a hammock in most conditions.

Otherwise I think you laid out a great starter setup and it looks like you'll save quite a but of weight too.

Hammock
    Dutch 11' NylonD
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Do yourself a huge favor and avoid my mistakes of getting a eno as my first hammock. They are way too short to be comfortable overnight in them. Depending on your height 10' minimum is a must. After I wasted my money on the eno I got a 11' dutch hammock with fronky style bugnet. Also a ridgeline is a must in order to get your hang angle right.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast