DW HALF-WIT
    Tarp
    OES G4
    Insulation
    EE, HG PHOENIX
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    The hammock you will have no regret. The knotty mod I absolutely love. I do feel it makes a huge difference. Also I am not restricted to a specific lay. The suspension will take some practice to use. I would recommend getting the ultimate hang app. It has a calculator that will give you hang ables and level. As for a tarp the tadpole is a great tarp for the $ . I have an OES gen4 silpoly that has more coverage and same weight and I love it. It compresses small. Quilts are one of the hardest purchases . There are a range of types , quality, customizations and so on . Quilts are not an item to try and save a few dollars . Also hiking in the whites I am always down for new hangers to join .

Hammock
    DW 11' Hexon 1.6 Olive Green
    Tarp
    YO Walkabout Tarp
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag w/Pad
    Suspension
    DW Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Liberty Guy View Post
    looks like a good call to me - decent equipment that is re-sellable if it does not work for you. If you do get into hammock camping all the time keep an eye on the for sale section - good deals on good equipment.
    Will do. Thanks for the advice

Quote Originally Posted by ocnlogan View Post
    Heh, just be glad you have a backyard . The only place I can hang and test gear out around here is in my apt complexes parking area/carport. Yeah... I get a few strange looks...

And congrats on the purchase! I'm thinking you thought this out quite well, and can slowly invest more I'd you find that you really enjoy hammock camping.
    That's definitely the idea

Quote Originally Posted by ocnlogan View Post
    Also, I know you're not into diy stuff right now. But in the time since you started this thread, I've completed two climashield top quilts. They should be good for ~15-20 , and weigh in at 22.96oz in the stuff sack. Just something to keep in mind if you're looking to replace that sleeping bag in the future .

And I may have mentioned that just because I'm happy to have completed the project. You know how that goes.

Hopefully you can find someplace to hang when you get the hammock .

Anyway, good luck .
    First off, congrats! Secondly, it's not that I'm not into DIY right now. I want to see how much I like hammocking vs tent sleeping and then see how much I want to invest (time-wise) into learning new skills. Knowing me, it won't be long. I love learning new skills - definitely a jack of all trades, master of none.

Quote Originally Posted by Swampmouse View Post
    You will enjoy it, and you will learn much just from "doing it".

Good luck!

SM
    Thanks SM!
    Quote Originally Posted by Helium33 View Post
    The hammock you will have no regret. The knotty mod I absolutely love. I do feel it makes a huge difference. Also I am not restricted to a specific lay. The suspension will take some practice to use. I would recommend getting the ultimate hang app. It has a calculator that will give you hang ables and level. As for a tarp the tadpole is a great tarp for the $ . I have an OES gen4 silpoly that has more coverage and same weight and I love it. It compresses small. Quilts are one of the hardest purchases . There are a range of types , quality, customizations and so on . Quilts are not an item to try and save a few dollars . Also hiking in the whites I am always down for new hangers to join .
    Thanks for the tips Helium33. I'm already researching UQs and TQs. Need a tarp first and then I'll move on from there.

Hammock
    ENO DN+Walmart Equip
    Tarp
    DryFly Yukon Noah
    Insulation
    SB pad Jarbridg
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas, Woopie
    Images
    If nothing shield me above, the worry of bird drop or pine cone will circle in my mind. I started with rain fly / foot print of large tent, anything string up over ridge line would do. using Kelty Noah 12 now.

Hammock
    ENO Double Deluxe
    Tarp
    ENO ProFly
    Insulation
    2Go Trifecta
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas, Woopies
    You're off to a killer start! Here's my review of a very similar system:

https://youtu.be/Qqe5_hSgRAo

I used an ENO double deluxe (about 2 feet wider than the doublenest), in which was a 2GO Systems Trifecta, in which was a ThermaRest CampComfort(?) sleeping pad I got marked down to $20 at Wal-Mart, and I was using a Teton Sports Sleeping Bag:

http://amzn.com/B00DDP3DZ8

These items are cheap and HOLY COW are they WONDERFUL. In a 12* hang with no tarp or bug-net (for added shelter/wind suppression) I could not have been happier!

Can't wait to see what you land on! - Rocket

Hammock
    Tarp
    YO Walkabout Tarp
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag w/Pad
    Suspension
    DW Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock-It View Post
    You're off to a killer start! Here's my review of a very similar system:

https://youtu.be/Qqe5_hSgRAo

I used an ENO double deluxe (about 2 feet wider than the doublenest), in which was a 2GO Systems Trifecta, in which was a ThermaRest CampComfort(?) sleeping pad I got marked down to $20 at Wal-Mart, and I was using a Teton Sports Sleeping Bag:

http://amzn.com/B00DDP3DZ8

These items are cheap and HOLY COW are they WONDERFUL. In a 12* hang with no tarp or bug-net (for added shelter/wind suppression) I could not have been happier!

Can't wait to see what you land on! - Rocket
    Rocket - funny you mention this. I'm still interested in using a 2Go System Trifecta (for weight) and I also use a Teton Sports bag (their 20*F UL bag).

Hammock
    ENO Double Deluxe
    Tarp
    ENO ProFly
    Insulation
    2Go Trifecta
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas, Woopies
    Quote Originally Posted by LBSurfer View Post
    Rocket - funny you mention this. I'm still interested in using a 2Go System Trifecta (for weight) and I also use a Teton Sports bag (their 20*F UL bag).
    Do you love it!? I'm really happy, they worked together way better than I could have expected!

Maybe I missed it, but how are you going to attach the hammock to the suspension? Don't you need a couple of continuous loops or something? Or is that included with the whoopie hook package?
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Oh, and by the way, ALL your choices are excellent gear.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    Tarp
    YO Walkabout Tarp
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag w/Pad
    Suspension
    DW Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by sidneyhornblower View Post
    Maybe I missed it, but how are you going to attach the hammock to the suspension? Don't you need a couple of continuous loops or something? Or is that included with the whoopie hook package?
    Ok, so I'm still learning jargon here. I don't know what you mean but I was planning/assuming that you lark head the loop that goes through the end of the hammock (where it bunches up) and use the little metal hook on the whoopie sling to hook to it. Am I wrong?

Also, can I pass the tree hugger strap through the loop on one end around the tree or should I really be using something like ditch clips?

Hammock
    Tarp
    YO Walkabout Tarp
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag w/Pad
    Suspension
    DW Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock-It View Post
    Do you love it!? I'm really happy, they worked together way better than I could have expected!
    Haven't tried the 2Go system bivvy yet but not a huge fan of the Teton bag. Ended up sleeping with it more like a TQ on my trip to the Whites last summer when I was tent camping. I am more of a side/stomach sleeper though, so mummy bags don't always work well (and I'm a big guy with broad shoulders). Warmth wise, it is great. Wish it wasn't cloth though, rather have a nylon inside to keep the sweat absorption down.

• + New Posts
  • Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast