Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I favor option 3 but a Jarbidge UQ ($100) would be a definite improvement over the pad. I'm not too keen on the HUG bugnet because it requires that you keep your sleeping bag/TQ on you for bug protection. I've watched all three of my kids sleeping and the first place they vent is to take their legs out of the sleeping bag (I do too). Welcome to the Zika virus!

The HH Hex was just a suggestion - you can get a silnylon tarp that will weigh a lot less than 27 ounces - A 4-season Superfly is only 19 ounces, and there are smaller hex or asym silnylon tarps.

That sleeping bag weighs a ton - you can get an HG 20* TQ that will be 18.66 ounces. You may have to save up for that item, but you'll save 27 ounces!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DW 11' Hexon 1.6 Olive Green
    Tarp
    YO Walkabout Tarp
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag w/Pad
    Suspension
    DW Whoopie Slings
    Yeah, the sleeping bag does weight a good bit. Believe it or not, it's a lighter sleeping bag and right in line with the top six to ten sleeping bags for that temp range at REI. Granted, more money could mean a lighter bag.

But, yes, your point is well taken. A halfway decent TQ will save me some significant weight.

The crux of this whole discussion seems to be weight and money. At my size, with the knee injuries I've had (both have been scoped 3x) and with the limited time I get to go out in the woods (twin 6yo daughters), I'm trying to balance the two quite well. At the same time, the goal is to buy things in the proper order if I can't buy them all at once. As nice at the AHE kits are, I think piece-mealing together kit from Option 3 is the best approach.

I can start with the hammock and suspension, pick up the tarp and more or less be ready to go. Might need the bug net too if I'm not going out until spring. After that, I can start saving up for TQ and UQ equipment and see how I like the equipment I have.

My question for all of you - how does a full setup (hammock, suspension, TQ, BQ, tarp) fit into a bag compared to a more traditional ground dweller setup (tent, pad, sleeping bag)? It seems like I might end up saving weight overall (not that I have the most weight-conscious setup now) but what about volume?

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Thunderbird 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator Econ
    Suspension
    Python straps
    Quote Originally Posted by LBSurfer View Post
    My question for all of you - how does a full setup (hammock, suspension, TQ, BQ, tarp) fit into a bag compared to a more traditional ground dweller setup (tent, pad, sleeping bag)? It seems like I might end up saving weight overall (not that I have the most weight-conscious setup now) but what about volume?
    It largely depends on your insulation. My summer rig takes up less space than a comparable tent setup, my winter one takes up more but that's because I use synthetic, not down.

Hammock
    Tarp
    YO Walkabout Tarp
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag w/Pad
    Suspension
    DW Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Datahiker View Post
    It largely depends on your insulation. My summer rig takes up less space than a comparable tent setup, my winter one takes up more but that's because I use synthetic, not down.
    Thanks Datahiker! By the way, I like your username. Reminds me of Data from Goonies for some reason...

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    I'd suggest getting the knotty mod on your hammock. Weight diff is negligible and it helps keep the hammock sides from flapping in your face. You'll be glad you did

Hammock
    Tarp
    YO Walkabout Tarp
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag w/Pad
    Suspension
    DW Whoopie Slings
    Thanks for the tip sqidmark. Out of curiousity, what is the knotty mod? I saw that option, but didn't see much if any description on it.

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    It's shock cord in the side hems of the hammock, about 18" long. Dutch puts one on either side of the foot area. There is a sticky somewhere on this. Try here.
    Last edited by sqidmark; 02-09-2016 at 14:04. Reason: Added link

Hammock
    Tarp
    YO Walkabout Tarp
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag w/Pad
    Suspension
    DW Whoopie Slings
    My Google-fu must have been broken yesterday when I was looking. Just found at least half a dozen videos explaining it. Thanks!

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I never drank the Knotty mod Kool-Aid. The sides of the hammock don't flop in my face, my feet don't pop out of the hammock, and I don't need anything to keep my gear in the hammock.

My current gear is infinitely less bulky than a tent setup (even winter). I used to have a blulky 4 lb. synthetic 0* bag, and the bulk of the pad drove me crazy.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    6x12 1.6oz Hyper D
    Tarp
    DIY Membrane 9x9
    Suspension
    Straps + Evenk
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LBSurfer View Post
    Being the overly analytical engineer I am, I did a little research. Here's what I cam up with:

Option 3 - Custom Setup w/Dutchware and HH Gear
    Item
    Description
    Weight
    Cost
    Hammock
    DW 11' Argon 1.6 Hammock
    11.5oz
    $38
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling w/5' Huggers
    4.1oz
    $39
    Under Quilt / Insulation
    Therma-Lite Pad
    29oz
    $0 (already own)
    Bug Net
    DW Fronkey
    7oz
    $57
    Top Quilt or Equiv
    Current Sleeping Bag
    46oz
    $0 (already own)
    Tarp
    HH Hex Tarp
    27oz
    $80
    Totals
    124.6oz (7lbs 12.6oz)
    $214

My current ground sleeping setup (tent, sleeping bag and pad) runs about 138oz (8lbs 10oz). That means, I'd save the following weight from each set-up:
    • Option 1 - 1lbs 2.2oz
    • Option 2 - 2lbs 1.2oz
    • Option 3 - 0lbs 13.4oz

Option 2 is pretty cost-prohibitive for just getting into something I'm not 100% sure about. Option 1 and Option 3 save roughly the same amount of weight (Option 1 only saves 4.8oz - 0.25lbs - more). All that being said, it looks like Option 3 might be the best alternative for me.

And, I still haven't done a tone of research on tarps - both from a cost and weight perspective.

All this being said - I haven't hung in any of these hammocks yet, so it's probably best to try some out before I drop any money...

Too analytical for y'all?

Not too analytical at all actually. But I may not be the best person to ask, I'm also an engineer :/.

Also, I don't see this mentioned anywhere (may have missed it though). What kind of weather are you going to be using this for? What is your priority? Weight? Cost? Versatility? A stack ranking there would help us figure out what works for you.

I think if it were me, and I were starting off, I'd get "good" gear that does something that I don't already own. I.E. You have a sleeping bag. So for right now, don't worry about a TQ. Instead spend the money you may have invested in a TQ into a tarp you actually want. Same goes with the sleeping pad. It works for now (I still use pads, and I'm a year into this already), and you can spend the money on other stuff. It also depends on if you're open to making your own gear, as that can reduce cost, weight, or both.

Personally, I like learning/acquiring new skills, so to "me" I would be fine with the tradeoff (you get to make your own design, and frequently get the end result for less weight/money, but it takes longer, and you may have some mistakes along the way).

So here is a "DIY" option 4. As it is, you have most requirements met already (other than the hammock and the tarp). The Dutch hammock is close to the price of a DIY, so keep that in there. The bug net I've not looked into as much quite yet, so we'll leave the dutch one in there as well. Then I'd do the tarp first, as thats really the only other thing that you're really lacking. The other things you could DIY when you have time/funds.

You can make a pretty basic top quilt with climashield apex for ~$40-70, and that will weigh somewhere between ~15-28oz depending on the temp rating you're shooting for. For the UQ you can do something as simple as a no-sew PLUQ (poncho liner underquilt), to apex, to down. Down stuff is more complicated to do, but does pack down smaller, and can weigh less depending on the temp rating.

Option 4 - Dutchware and DIY climashield
    Item
    Description
    Weight
    Cost
    Hammock
    DW 11' Argon 1.6 Hammock
    11.5oz
    $38
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling w/5' Huggers
    4.1oz
    $39
    Under Quilt / Insulation
    Climashield Apex UQ
    ~24oz
    ~$65
    Bug Net
    DW Fronkey
    7oz
    $57
    Top Quilt or Equiv
    DIY 5oz Climashield apex TQ
    ~24oz
    ~$60
    Tarp
    Ripstop By the Roll Hex tarp Kit
    ~13-14oz
    $~$60
    Totals
    84.6oz (5lbs ~4oz)
    $~319

Anyway, Lots of that is variable prices and weights. Plus, it will take a fair bit of time. Just throwing this out as an option.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast