Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images

Do you have to have more than one top quilt?

Guys,
    If I'm not going to be out in temps lower than 20 is there one top quilt that you could get by with for temps in the 20-70 degree range or should I buy more than one top quilt? These things aren't inexpensive so I'm trying to decide if I can get by with one, two, or will I need more. Just as a point of reference I have a 20° Warbonnet Lynx under quilt but I believe I can get by with that and simply let it hang loose as it gets warmer but then again I could be wrong on that as well.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I use my HG 20* Burrow (sewn footbox) 80% of the time - have even used it for overnight lows of 70* F.

I never vent my underquilt - never got too hot there. The only reason I have a 40* and 0* quilt set is that I like a 10* cushion between expected temps and my quilt's rating. For example, I recently went on a trip where the low was 16 or 17* F. Unfortunately, I took my 20* quilt set and my feet got cold.

Last week I went out and the lows were again 17* F, but I was smart and brought my 0* quilt set. My feet did not get cold.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WBBB RR DBL 1.1 / DIY Multicam SL
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG CF
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch Clip
    If you will never see below 20* then I would probably just get a 20* tq with 1-2 extra oz. of fill and use that all year round. Unless you are a gram weenie the you could go for a 40* later on too.
    Husband, Father, and Friend.
    Scout Master and Cub Master for Troop/Pack 705 of
    Chesterfield

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    What Nighthauk said but yes, I have more than 1 TQ.

Old Rag Mountain from JacksRBetter - 5 to 10F and this is the one I used the most since most of my camping is done spring, fall, winter. Not crazy about the heat, humidity, bugs of summer in VA
    DIY which I would rate about to about 50 F. I use this over the humid summers assuming I use a TQ at all. Mostly in summer I have a silk bag liner that I use as a TQ when nights are not going to get below 65 which is June, July, August, and must of Sept where I live at.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    Dutchwear Hexon 2.4
    Tarp
    KeltyNoah12
    Insulation
    HGIncub20UQ MH20TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    I currently use an older Mountain Hardwear 20* mummy bag as a TQ. Just by coincidence, it is cut almost exactly like hammock TQ's with a foot box.

It gets too hot around 60-65 and there is little I can do to get comfortable.

I'm looking at making a new TQ for the warmer weather using a Double Black Diamond Down Throw. They seem to be pretty popular for a cheap, light-weight, warmer weather alternative if you don't mind doing a little work. I've read there are some methods to convert it without a sewing machine, but I haven.t researched it enough yet. I will be buying a sewing machine.

Also, I've been told the Snugpak TQ is good for the warmer weather and I was told specifically by a couple different people that it was not too hot for the 50-70 range. It is heavier than expensive down TQ, but it sure is cheap in comparison.

Hope that helps.

Hammock
    Robic XL 1.1oz 11'
    Tarp
    RSBTR PU4000 tarps
    Insulation
    UGQ 0* 20* 40* set
    Suspension
    Multi buckle web
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I use my HG 20* Burrow (sewn footbox) 80% of the time - have even used it for overnight lows of 70* F.

I never vent my underquilt - never got too hot there. The only reason I have a 40* and 0* quilt set is that I like a 10* cushion between expected temps and my quilt's rating. For example, I recently went on a trip where the low was 16 or 17* F. Unfortunately, I took my 20* quilt set and my feet got cold.

Last week I went out and the lows were again 17* F, but I was smart and brought my 0* quilt set. My feet did not get cold.
    Agree fully with Silvr

The 20* set is my go to all the time but also like to keep the 10* buffer ...so...
    The 0* set kicks in when the temps are headed below 30*
    The 20* UQ I use from 30* till it's to warm for a UQ and will also use it below 10* or so doubled up with the 0* UQ
    At 50* plus I switch to the 40* TQ

The 20* set can do a lot and covers most of the yr for me...the 0* set and 40 TQ are my specialty items
    Life is too Short to not feed the addiction....Hang on and explore the World

Hammock
    DW HALF-WIT
    Tarp
    OES G4
    Insulation
    EE, HG PHOENIX
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I have a 50 and 30 degree TQ. I use the 50 for the summer and the 30 for spring/fall.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I used my 20° the other night for a low of 50°...horrible! I don't know how anyone can do this more than once in a while. There's no "venting" a TQ. You're in the hammock, it's in the hammock. It's always touching at least a majority of your body and simply holds and pumps that body heat out like a furnace. Maybe I'm missing something, but I couldn't find a way to stay covered without getting too hot.

I now have a 0, 20 and 40.

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    EE Rev / HG Inc
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Straps
    I have had the same problem with being too hot and the only solution I have found is to hang the TQ on the ridge line until I wake up cold and then pull it down to warm back up.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Sil,
    Insulation
    3s Yeti
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    Have 2: 20 degree burrow and 40 degree burrow

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast