DIY 10'
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    RevX 20, Sniveler
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    I did see that about turning the stakes sideways. I have the round easton stakes and since I had never tried it before I didn't want to find out when I got to camp. I knew it would be almost dark when we would set up so I knew the downspout would work.
    I also cut up some pieces of a plastic 5 gallon bucket but they were a bit flimsy for liking, which prompted my searching for something more rigid.

Hammock
    My own, durtsurf
    Tarp
    My own, durtsurf
    Insulation
    My own, durtsurf
    Suspension
    My own, durtsurf
    Lately I haven't been taking anything. If there are trees around just snap a few twigs/small branches off, dead pieces, bury them in the snow dead man style. I have even used 2-3 foot branches to support my whole hammock in the snow after digging a big hole for me to hang.
    Quote Originally Posted by tacodog View Post
    Went to Dolly Sods last weekend after Jonas.. Awesome.... 2ft of snow in places. We snowshoed in. I did not have anything for tarp snow anchors. I found a piece of 2 x 3 vinyl downspout in the garage. I had just enough to cut up 8 pieces 8 inches long. Then used snips to cut length wise. Drilled holes in it. Made 36 inch leads and some toggles. I have prusiks on my tarp lines. Dug down with my snow shovel and after I got the anchors buried just put the toggle in and looped the prusik. They worked great.
    We dug out under the hammocks to make a wall outside of the tarp edge to block the wind but still have air circulation so I did not have any issues with condensation or frost.

1 piece weighs 42g (1.5oz)

I design and build custom outdoor gear personally in Bend Oregon. I strive for excellent weight and price characteristics in my products, making many of my products fair weather orientated. Money back guarantee for defects or dissatisfaction. I can be found as Durtsurf on facebook, Ebay and youtube.
    https://www.facebook.com/durtsurf/?ref=hl
    https://www.youtube.com/user/dirtsurf1

Hammock
    11 ft made by MounainWilderness 365
    Tarp
    10x12 Monster Fly
    Insulation
    pads
    Suspension
    5' whoopies
    Images
    In the winter I like to use just any stick that I can find on the spot, or any stone if I cannot find sticks. Bury them down in the snow, and put more snow on top. Run the guylines under it and out of the snow, then put tout-line knot. In the morning, just untie the knot, pull the line out and let the stick stay where it is. No digging involved.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Caminante View Post
    I carry plastic grocery bags to the beach and fill them up with wet sand to use as deadmen (obviously taking them back with me when we're done). Works pretty well even in the wind. Might be a lightweight solution for this situation, but I don't have much experience with deadmen in snow.
    That definitely works. I just cut a stick about 1" in diameter and 10" long. Bury it, stomp down, and lightly set up the tarp. Maybe 10 minutes later it's packed solid, so I tighten the lines up. Free, easy, zero weight.

Edit: I just noticed BrRabbit's response above. Didn't mean to be a copycat

Hammock
    DL XLC 1.1
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    EE , DIY
    Suspension
    Dutch Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by tacodog View Post
    Went to Dolly Sods last weekend after Jonas.. Awesome.... 2ft of snow in places. We snowshoed in. I did not have anything for tarp snow anchors. I found a piece of 2 x 3 vinyl downspout in the garage. I had just enough to cut up 8 pieces 8 inches long. Then used snips to cut length wise. Drilled holes in it. Made 36 inch leads and some toggles. I have prusiks on my tarp lines. Dug down with my snow shovel and after I got the anchors buried just put the toggle in and looped the prusik. They worked great.
    We dug out under the hammocks to make a wall outside of the tarp edge to block the wind but still have air circulation so I did not have any issues with condensation or frost.

1 piece weighs 42g (1.5oz)

Great idea man and lightweight to boot! Was in the Sods for a few days in October. Did they have the gates open? Would have been a heck of a snowshoe just to get to the trailhead haha.

Hammock
    11 ft made by MounainWilderness 365
    Tarp
    10x12 Monster Fly
    Insulation
    pads
    Suspension
    5' whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    That definitely works. I just cut a stick about 1" in diameter and 10" long. Bury it, stomp down, and lightly set up the tarp. Maybe 10 minutes later it's packed solid, so I tighten the lines up. Free, easy, zero weight.

Edit: I just noticed BrRabbit's response above. Didn't mean to be a copycat
    Nevermind. Most importantly (at least for me) is that in the morning you don't need to dig it out of frozen and packed snow

Hammock
    DIY 10'
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    RevX 20, Sniveler
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    We came in to Red Creek Trail by Lanesville. The gate was closed. When we came out on Sunday there were tire tracks up 19.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12