Lightbulb Thoughts on DIY Quilt

Hi all, I've been looking into making my own quilt for quite a while and I have finally come to a final design. Since I'm basically incompetent I wanted some feedback.
    Fabric: ripstopbytheroll.com illume 0.9 oz/yd, both the mocha and burnt orange for opposite sides
    Fastening: diygearsupply.com Low Profile Center Release Buckle with grossgrain, the grossgrain sewed onto one edge and 2" in on the other edge
    ripstopbytheroll.com 1.5 mm MINI cord with cordlocks for, instead of a real footbox, a way to tighten the bottom around my feet
    Insulation: ripstopbytheroll.com Climashield APEX - 7.5 oz/sq

I'm making two quilts, that's why it works out. But here's the design:

Quilt Plans.png

I want to make the inside removable.
    I have industrial velcro lying around, and I can only assume sewing through that is gonna suck but it sounds doable.
    The plan is to have one long piece of fabric 90" which wraps over the top and is velcroed along the top. The short, 72" piece of fabric will go along the top and velcro to the overhang.
    I'm going to sew some mesh around the edges and attach velcro to it so I can pull out the insulation and replace it and wash the outside. (thank you tramplite)
    Yeah, a bit of work so the inside is replaceable but I really like that.

As a novice sewer I'm going to getting some direction from someone else before I screw it up. I haven't done an exceptional job of explaining this but hopefully it makes sense. I'm looking for any guidance you guys can give me. That would be cool.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DD Superlight/ DIY
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    If you've no sewing experience my advice would be to buy some cheap fabric and sew a dummy run. You'll learn a lot the first time round, and will and up re-doing it with improvements.

Hammock
    DW netless/JS Full net
    Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 40
    Suspension
    Dutch buckle/strap
    Is it your intention to be able to remove the Climashield from the quilt? My understanding and current experience hints that the CS is a little more fragile than that handling would benefit it. Plus, if it's not sewn into the liner, what would prevent it from bunching up in your quilt?
    Look up before you hook up!!
    Originally Posted by body942
    Me big. Me like hammockgear burrow. Long. Problems no. People good.

Climashield is totally washable - I'm not sure what you're gaining with removable insulation unless you're thinking about being able to insert different weights for different seasons. I think TFC Rick is probably on target about the CS bunching up if it's not sewn to the perimeter, but I haven't tried that. It seems like even if it works, you'll have to do a lot of fiddling after it comes out of the stuff sack to get it straightened out.

Velcro tends to snag on stuff (I think it would be a nightmare with bare Climashield) - if I were going to do it, I'd use KAM snaps.
    Caminante, son tus huellas el camino y nada más... - Antonio Machado

Hammock
    DIY DL 10.5' gathered with net
    Tarp
    DIY Winter or Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Apex/Snugpak
    Suspension
    Rings, buckles, WS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Caminante View Post
    Climashield is totally washable - I'm not sure what you're gaining with removable insulation unless you're thinking about being able to insert different weights for different seasons. I think TFC Rick is probably on target about the CS bunching up if it's not sewn to the perimeter, but I haven't tried that. It seems like even if it works, you'll have to do a lot of fiddling after it comes out of the stuff sack to get it straightened out.

Velcro tends to snag on stuff (I think it would be a nightmare with bare Climashield) - if I were going to do it, I'd use KAM snaps.
    +1 on this response

• + New Posts