Dutchware Halfwit
    Tarp
    ENO Profly
    Insulation
    Jacks R Better
    Suspension
    Whoopi

Question What to Get

Short Version: Needing some advice... I'm pretty much decided on a Dutchware Half Wit, but I don't know what kind of fabric or suspension to choose. I'm 58, and in fairly good shape, but I am less flexible and more prone to aches and pains (and less tolerable of them) than I used to be. I weigh about 190-195.

Long Version: New to Hammock camping, I got an Eno Jungle Nest and Eno tarp and hit the Pisgah Forest for 3 nights of solitude back in September. (It started raining on day 2 and didn't stop for weeks, beginning the awful floods of SC). But I was hooked despite the weather.

On that first hammock adventure, I was using homemade pads and a borrowed sleeping bag, which I returned. Needing a sleeping bag of my own, I opted for under and over quilts. When I tried them out in the backyard last week, I found the calf ridge pressure to be completely unnerving. I tried different pitches and such over 3 nights, but after being in the hammock for an hour or so, I was done and came inside. I think the main culprit is the Eno is just too small.

I like the Half Wit's itty bitty bug net where you need it. I like the double knotty mods since I don't know which lay (left/right) I'll prefer. But I am completely at a loss when it comes to the choice of fabric and suspension. Please opine freely on this subject for me .

Hammock
    11' 1.2 Robic XL
    Tarp
    Misc DIY ones
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    UHMWPE Straps
    Images
    First, welcome to the addiction of hammock camping...and of Dutch. It only gets better from here.

As far as fabric and suspension, there are a couple things to consider. With fabric, it comes down to how you like to sleep. Are you a back sleeper? A side sleeper? Do you like a firmer mattress or a squishier mattress. I prefer a firmer mattress and tend more towards the heavier weight fabrics (1.6 oz Hexon) and less stretchy fabrics. If you like a little more given when you sleep, you may prefer a fabric with a bit more stretch to it such as Argon or Hexon 1.0).

With the suspension on the half-wit, it really depends how you backpack and what simplicity level you like. The cinch bug suspension is a great Army-friendly (RE: simple) suspension. A strap and attachment point on each end of the hammock. A strap suspension like that will tend to be a bit heavier if you're weight conscious. Whoopie hooks are a bit more complicated. It's a length of tree strap with an Amsteel whoopee sling larks headed onto the end. The titanium whoopie hook (Dutch gateway drug) connects the whoopie sling to your hammock. Comparatively, it's more difficult to set up, but it's still fairly simple.

You are correct on the calf ridge issue. The shorter the hammock, the more prominent the calf ridge. Hammocks shorter than 10' tend to be more prone to that issues.

Keep an eye on the outings folder and look for hangs near you. Most folks here will more than gladly talk about their setup and let you try things out. That's really the best way to gauge what you do and do not like.
    73 de W4BKR

Not all who wander are lost... - J.R.R. Tolkein
    ...Besides, if we get lost, we just pull in somewheres and ask directions - Captain Ron

The ever striving gram weenie...always updated with the next trip

Hammock
    DIY 11ft Hammock
    Tarp
    3m x3m MYOG Camo
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Amsteel
    Ok
    11ft hammock
    Get a fixed ridge line to start with.
    Hexon 1.0
    Woopie slings
    Tree huggers
    Caribeeners for easy to do,
    If you want to go marlin spike hitch then grab some toggles.
    Tacblades

Hammock
    Dutchware Halfwit
    Tarp
    ENO Profly
    Insulation
    Jacks R Better
    Suspension
    Whoopi
    Quote Originally Posted by Wanderlust78 View Post
    First, welcome to the addiction of hammock camping...and of Dutch. It only gets better from here.

As far as fabric and suspension, there are a couple things to consider. With fabric, it comes down to how you like to sleep. Are you a back sleeper? A side sleeper? Do you like a firmer mattress or a squishier mattress. I prefer a firmer mattress and tend more towards the heavier weight fabrics (1.6 oz Hexon) and less stretchy fabrics. If you like a little more given when you sleep, you may prefer a fabric with a bit more stretch to it such as Argon or Hexon 1.0).
    Thanks Wanderlust78,
    Side sleeper and I also like a firmer mattress. Sounds like 1.6 Hexon might be a good choice.

With the suspension on the half-wit, it really depends how you backpack and what simplicity level you like. The cinch bug suspension is a great Army-friendly (RE: simple) suspension. A strap and attachment point on each end of the hammock. A strap suspension like that will tend to be a bit heavier if you're weight conscious. Whoopie hooks are a bit more complicated. It's a length of tree strap with an Amsteel whoopee sling larks headed onto the end. The titanium whoopie hook (Dutch gateway drug) connects the whoopie sling to your hammock. Comparatively, it's more difficult to set up, but it's still fairly simple.
    I don't mind complex... especially if it is cool and light. (Love the gateway drug reference).

You are correct on the calf ridge issue. The shorter the hammock, the more prominent the calf ridge. Hammocks shorter than 10' tend to be more prone to that issues.

Keep an eye on the outings folder and look for hangs near you. Most folks here will more than gladly talk about their setup and let you try things out. That's really the best way to gauge what you do and do not like.
    Excellent. There is one coming up soon in Linville Gorge that I'm keeping my eye on.

Hammock
    Dutchware Halfwit
    Tarp
    ENO Profly
    Insulation
    Jacks R Better
    Suspension
    Whoopi
    So one more question... The order screen says I can get a 4 foot or 5 foot hugger. Thoughts? Recommendations?

• + New Posts