WBBB
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    DIY/UGQ/HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie

Synthetic Quilt Options

I'm changing my set up a bit to have a 0 and 40 degree UQ. In considering the options for a 40 I wanted to look at possibilities in the synthetic insulation. I've been watching the for sale section but haven't had any luck.

Who are the recommended vendors for synthetic under quilts? And, is there preferred type of synthetic?

I may end up giving DIY a go depending upon cost & weight.

Thanks

Hammock
    11 ft made by MounainWilderness 365
    Tarp
    10x12 Monster Fly
    Insulation
    pads
    Suspension
    5' whoopies
    Images

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    I'm 5'9" and find the Jarbridge 3 season UQ ideal. It is 3/4 length (58" long) and $100, but Paul does have sales when the mood strikes him.
    It uses Climashield APEX synthetic insulation - 20 oz and it compresses well.

I use it in the summer in northern Pennsylvania (your climate) and winter in Va.

http://www.arrowhead-equipment.com/s...nderQuilt.html
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    11 ft made by MounainWilderness 365
    Tarp
    10x12 Monster Fly
    Insulation
    pads
    Suspension
    5' whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Broken Halo View Post
    I'm changing my set up a bit to have a 0 and 40 degree UQ. In considering the options for a 40 I wanted to look at possibilities in the synthetic insulation. I've been watching the for sale section but haven't had any luck.

Who are the recommended vendors for synthetic under quilts? And, is there preferred type of synthetic?

Thanks
    If you can do it yourself, Ray Jardine offers Ray-Way quilt kits. They were good enough for him and his wife on multiple trips, must be good design.

Hammock
    Dutchware Hexon 1.6 11ft
    Tarp
    Yukon Rainfly
    Insulation
    JRB, AHE, DIY, SP
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Arrowhead Equipment is probably the go-to name in synthetic quilts.

They have the 3/4 length Jarbidge and full length New River. If you got them as 1 season models, they would probably be good to about 40 degrees.

I have a winter New River long model. The quality is awesome, it's a seriously great quilt.

Arrowhead uses Apex Climashield. Other companies use primaloft as insulation. Other manufacturers have their own brand of poly fill insulation.

Other mainstream companies have synthetic quilta, Yukon just released one, ENO, Snugpak both have them. Out of all of them I think the Snugpak is the best value, and best made.

Enlightened Equipment have their prospect under quilt with synthetic fill. I have no experience with it though.

Every day is a good day.

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Broken Halo View Post

Thanks
    Hey man,

So something I've been encountering lately with my set up, is it's difficult to vent the 0*F top quilt and be comfortable in the borderline region between the two setups - where I'm hot with the 0*F TQ, but I'd be cold with the 40*F TQ.

My UQ remains comfortable well into the 40's and even higher (I rate it as a 10*F based on experience), but I notice I start sweating with the 0*F TQ once it gets into the 30's - but venting it open leaves me cold in the vented areas.

Because of this I'm planning to make a 20*F TQ in the future.

You may consider holding onto your 20*F TQ, at least until you're sure you wont still want it.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    DIY/UGQ/HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Thanks for the quick input. I'll check these out.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston View Post
    Hey man,

So something I've been encountering lately with my set up, is it's difficult to vent the 0*F top quilt and be comfortable in the borderline region between the two setups - where I'm hot with the 0*F TQ, but I'd be cold with the 40*F TQ.

My UQ remains comfortable well into the 40's and even higher (I rate it as a 10*F based on experience), but I notice I start sweating with the 0*F TQ once it gets into the 30's - but venting it open leaves me cold in the vented areas.

Because of this I'm planning to make a 20*F TQ in the future.

You may consider holding onto your 20*F TQ, at least until you're sure you wont still want it.
    Hey! My plan was to have a 0 & 40 (3/4 length?) UQ with a 20 TQ. I also have Frankenquilts from JCP jackets (maybe 50 degree).

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    DIY/UGQ/HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedogomer View Post
    Arrowhead Equipment is probably the go-to name in synthetic quilts.

They have the 3/4 length Jarbidge and full length New River. If you got them as 1 season models, they would probably be good to about 40 degrees.

I have a winter New River long model. The quality is awesome, it's a seriously great quilt.

Arrowhead uses Apex Climashield. Other companies use primaloft as insulation. Other manufacturers have their own brand of poly fill insulation.

Other mainstream companies have synthetic quilta, Yukon just released one, ENO, Snugpak both have them. Out of all of them I think the Snugpak is the best value, and best made.

Enlightened Equipment have their prospect under quilt with synthetic fill. I have no experience with it though.
    Wowzers...The Snugpack is over 46.5 oz!

I made my daughter a 3/4 Climashield UQ (full-size for her) for $60 that weighs 1lb 4oz w/suspension (will probably drop a hair once I trim the shock cords). A DIY CS UQ is probably one of the easier projects I've taken on short of a stuff sack. I used 5oz/yd CS which, at least according to charts, is good to 30F. If you went with 3.6oz/yd CS which is, theoretically, good to 40F you could shave $4 and some more weight off (I'd guess between 1.5 and 2 oz).
    Caminante, son tus huellas el camino y nada más... - Antonio Machado

• + New Posts