Cool New hanger looking for gear advice

Hello all,

Let me start off by saying that I've really enjoyed reading through these forums and it seems like there is a solid community here full of experience.

A little about myself. This will be my fourth season of going on our yearly backpacking trip. I'm from Michigan and have mostly explored the regions relatively close by. We usually go for a 5-7 day hike for about 40-50 miles. Our first trip was to the Porcupine Mountains in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. I started the first day with a 48 lbs pack and had a blast. Our second trip was the Pictured Rocks area along Lake Superior and I cut weight down to 42 lbs. Last summer we did Lake Superior Provincial Park in Ontario and I left with a 38 lbs pack. So I'm trending in the right direction by trying to trim down each year as I learn from each previous trip.

The last three trips have been tent camping and I'm thinking of trying a hammock setup for this summer's trip to Killarney Provincial Park near Sudbury, Ontario. I'm a complete newbie when it comes to hammocks, but have been lurking on this forum and watching Shug's videos (entertaining!) to gain some knowledge. I recently had a birthday and have some money saved up for some new gear.

I'm 6'1" and currently at 240 lbs, but hope to drop as much weight as possible as I train for this year's adventure. I'm trying to decide on what hammock and tarp to get to see if I enjoy hammocking as much as the rest of you. Here's what I've whittled my list down to:

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC 1.1 DL
    A Hennessey hammock (haven't decided which one suits me best)

Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly, Mamajamba, or Edge
    HG Cuben Fiber Hex or Standard CF with doors

Suspension
    Dutch's whoopie hook system

For insulation, I was planning on using one of a couple pads I own underneath and my sleeping bag on top. I will probably upgrade to a UQ and TQ at some point in the future, but want to make sure I like hammock camping.

I usually hike during the summer and in temps that would get to around 40 at night somewhere in the Midwest. I would prefer a hammock with a bugnet because mosquitoes seem to love me. I'm trying to be weight conscience, but comfort is most important. I can't really decide how much tarp coverage would be adequate while still being as light as possible.

Any advice, suggestions, thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I'm not deadset on any of these choices, but everything I've read about the blackbird xlc seems to point to it being a great choice. I want the double layer because I've read that bugs can bite through a single layer and I don't want that. Is that true? If not, a 1.7 SL would be lighter.

Thanks in advance,
    Hopeful hanger-to-be,
    Doug

The Hennessey is a good all in one system, a bit heavier than others but not dramatically so. You may, however, find a larger hammock more comfortable. If you go Hennessey, get one of their larger hammocks, the Explorer at least. Skip the Expedition. I'm 5'9" and find it big enough but barely. My 11 foot Dutchware is much more comfortable.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    DIY DL
    Tarp
    WB SF, WB Edge
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Straps + DutchGear
    Welcome Doug, from Hudsonville!
    I've gone to find myself. If I get back before I return, make sure I stay here.

When I see lovers' names carved into a tree, I don't think it's cute. I think it's strange how so many people take knives on a date.

Formerly known as 'Brad49426'.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL Multicam
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoppie slings
    The double layer on the XLC gives you a pocket to slide your pad into. That will really help to keep it in place. I have been using the WBBB and recently upgraded to the XLC. The longer hammock is more comfortable to me at 6'4" 300#. Everybody is different when it comes to comfort. I would suggest looking on the forum for a hang anywhere close to you and attending. As you said, there are knowledgeable people on here and I have found them willing to share that info at these events.

As far as tarps, I have always used an UL 10 X 12 I have had for years. I am wait for the big camo reveal on the Superfly this summer. I am interested in this tarp, but am waiting on the new pattern

There are several good UQ and TQ manufacturers, but I have three from Hammock Gear. The UQs have exceeded my expectations on my Eno DN, WBBB and now my XLC.

Welcome and I wish you well on your gear selection. We all have our opinions on what we like. All the gear you have mentioned is quality and could be easily sold if it turns out to not be for you

Hammock
    11 ft made by MounainWilderness 365
    Tarp
    10x12 Monster Fly
    Insulation
    pads
    Suspension
    5' whoopies
    Images
    Hi Doug. Hello from WI. If you order anything from Dutch, you might want as well add a spool of Zing-it rope (180ft). You'll need it for any tarp. I would buy detachable bug-net and not care about them mosquitoes biting through my hammock (and sleeping bag and pad). Although second layer might be useful for adding insulation between layers.

Hammock
    DIY Robic 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    UGQ/DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopie/straps
    Images
    Hey Doug, a bunch of us are hanging this weekend up at the ludington state park. This would be a great chance for you to check out some different set ups. Look for the details under the Midwest trip section of the forum. Welcome from Muskegon!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock- 10' Sparrow
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG 20*Burrow/Incub
    Suspension
    Straps/Carabiners
    Images
    Howdy Doug, and welcome..

• + New Posts