Hello all,

Let me start off by saying that I've really enjoyed reading through these forums and it seems like there is a solid community here full of experience.

A little about myself. This will be my fourth season of going on our yearly backpacking trip. I'm from Michigan and have mostly explored the regions relatively close by. We usually go for a 5-7 day hike for about 40-50 miles. Our first trip was to the Porcupine Mountains in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. I started the first day with a 48 lbs pack and had a blast. Our second trip was the Pictured Rocks area along Lake Superior and I cut weight down to 42 lbs. Last summer we did Lake Superior Provincial Park in Ontario and I left with a 38 lbs pack. So I'm trending in the right direction by trying to trim down each year as I learn from each previous trip.

The last three trips have been tent camping and I'm thinking of trying a hammock setup for this summer's trip to Killarney Provincial Park near Sudbury, Ontario. I'm a complete newbie when it comes to hammocks, but have been lurking on this forum and watching Shug's videos (entertaining!) to gain some knowledge. I recently had a birthday and have some money saved up for some new gear.

I'm 6'1" and currently at 240 lbs, but hope to drop as much weight as possible as I train for this year's adventure. I'm trying to decide on what hammock and tarp to get to see if I enjoy hammocking as much as the rest of you. Here's what I've whittled my list down to:

Hammock
Warbonnet Blackbird XLC 1.1 DL
A Hennessey hammock (haven't decided which one suits me best)

Tarp
Warbonnet Superfly, Mamajamba, or Edge
HG Cuben Fiber Hex or Standard CF with doors

Suspension
Dutch's whoopie hook system

For insulation, I was planning on using one of a couple pads I own underneath and my sleeping bag on top. I will probably upgrade to a UQ and TQ at some point in the future, but want to make sure I like hammock camping.

I usually hike during the summer and in temps that would get to around 40 at night somewhere in the Midwest. I would prefer a hammock with a bugnet because mosquitoes seem to love me. I'm trying to be weight conscience, but comfort is most important. I can't really decide how much tarp coverage would be adequate while still being as light as possible.

Any advice, suggestions, thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I'm not deadset on any of these choices, but everything I've read about the blackbird xlc seems to point to it being a great choice. I want the double layer because I've read that bugs can bite through a single layer and I don't want that. Is that true? If not, a 1.7 SL would be lighter.

Thanks in advance,
Hopeful hanger-to-be,
Doug