View Poll Results: If you can ONLY have ONE tarp, what would it be?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • XL Winter Tarp

11 22.92%
  • Standered Winter Tarp

22 45.83%
  • Hex Tarp

14 29.17%
  • Asym Tarp

1 2.08%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    WBBB XLC, Multicam
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, DIY APEX
    Suspension
    Dutch Clip, Hook

If you can only have ONE tarp, what would it be?

In Byndam’s thread “How much coverage do I need?” I replied, “I have always used a winter tarp and every time I think about going to a hex or an asym to save weight and money, I’ll have a brush with wind or rain and I am glad to have the coverage. Yes, it weighs a bit more but wet gear is heavy also and uncomfortable. It could lead to a cold, wet and miserable hike out with heavy wet gear as well.
    If I can only have one tarp it would definitely be a winter, bigger is better (IMHO), but I may still get (or rather make) an asym for use on only short “guarantied” fair weather trips.”

Now I’m curious what do all of you think?
    If you can only have ONE tarp, what would it be? Would it be an XL Winter Tarp, a Standard Winter Tarp, a Hex Tarp/with or without doors, or would you go minimal with an Asym Tarp
    Last edited by Diz; 02-03-2016 at 18:06.
    Diz*

"adapt, improvise, overcome" Clint Eastwood - Heart brake ridge

HG cuben fiber with doors and it's what I have.

Hammock
    Dream Freebird 11.5'
    Tarp
    12' DIY SilPoly
    Insulation
    Synthetic UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    strap + mule tape
    Images
    In a rainstorm, I would prefer the one that I'm under!

Hammock
    WBBB RR DBL 1.1 / DIY Multicam SL
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG CF
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch Clip
    I would keep my Superfly. I love the weight of the Cuben fiber but it lets too much light in the morning. So I would go with my darker tarp.
    Husband, Father, and Friend.
    Scout Master and Cub Master for Troop/Pack 705 of
    Chesterfield

Hammock
    WBBB XLC, Multicam
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, DIY APEX
    Suspension
    Dutch Clip, Hook
    Quote Originally Posted by BanjoPicker View Post
    In a rainstorm, I would prefer the one that I'm under!
    A wise guy ah?
    Any port in a storm, right?
    Diz*

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Years ago on this forum the prevailing mode of thought among many of us was that it takes skill and woodsmanship (I just made that up ) to be able to camp anywhere with the least amount of tarp and gear to be safe for the conditions. In those days there was only one "winter tarp" the Speer winter tarp and it was a small tarp, compared to todays tents. Many of us worked to hang and make due with the HH napkin tarp and many folks did just fine with it. Just Jeff hung under in in a tropical storm in NC and high in the mountains of the west through winter. I have hung in a lot of places in a lot of weather and I know that I can make due just fine with a standard sized Hex over any hammock made. Some of what I look for in myself is the learn and push outside of my limitations both with my gear and with my mental state. Most of us...raising my hand not pointing fingers...live in a day and age when so much of life us handed to us and we take a lot for granted. My time in the woods is to step out of that life and into one where I have to work a little more to be sure that I am going to stay warm, dry, hydrated and fed. I work to prepare better meals in the woods than I do most of the time at home...no drive through to bail me out if I screw it up. No furnace to turn on if I have a failure...and I see that as part of what I want and need. Not saying to take undue risk but rathe to evaluate your skill and put it up against the challenges you face out there.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Dream Freebird 11.5'
    Tarp
    12' DIY SilPoly
    Insulation
    Synthetic UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    strap + mule tape
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Diz View Post
    A wise guy ah?
    Any port in a storm, right?
    Heh heh. Well, I voted for a hex tarp. Mine is SilPoly. Good compromise between weight, coverage, and cost. I could add removable doors later if I want.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I'm not sure I understand why a Winter Palace is an XL Winter Tarp and the Superfly is a standard winter tarp when they are basically the same dimensions.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WBBB XLC, Multicam
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, DIY APEX
    Suspension
    Dutch Clip, Hook
    Quote Originally Posted by pgibson View Post
    Years ago on this forum the prevailing mode of thought among many of us was that it takes skill and woodsmanship (I just made that up ) to be able to camp anywhere with the least amount of tarp and gear to be safe for the conditions. In those days there was only one "winter tarp" the Speer winter tarp and it was a small tarp, compared to todays tents. Many of us worked to hang and make due with the HH napkin tarp and many folks did just fine with it. Just Jeff hung under in in a tropical storm in NC and high in the mountains of the west through winter. I have hung in a lot of places in a lot of weather and I know that I can make due just fine with a standard sized Hex over any hammock made. Some of what I look for in myself is the learn and push outside of my limitations both with my gear and with my mental state. Most of us...raising my hand not pointing fingers...live in a day and age when so much of life us handed to us and we take a lot for granted. My time in the woods is to step out of that life and into one where I have to work a little more to be sure that I am going to stay warm, dry, hydrated and fed. I work to prepare better meals in the woods than I do most of the time at home...no drive through to bail me out if I screw it up. No furnace to turn on if I have a failure...and I see that as part of what I want and need. Not saying to take undue risk but rathe to evaluate your skill and put it up against the challenges you face out there.
    A Speer winter tarp is what I have been using with my WBBB XLC and it is only just long enough for a few inches of overhang at the ridge line. I'm working on an 11 inch winter tarp now so i have a bit less fiddle factor in setting up.
    Diz*

Hammock
    DIY Speer Type
    Tarp
    JRB, OES, HG
    Insulation
    Peapod, JRB, HG
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    +1 on HG cuben w/ doors. Although I stayed dry in a downpour under my JRB 8x8 on one occasion. I some ways I prefer the 8x8. Only 2 stakes and super fast to set up.
    Gentle raindrops and mighty oceans...neither can exist without the other.
    Time heals all wounds...but it usually leaves a pretty big scar.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast