diy MTN series
    Tarp
    diy winterhex/asym
    Insulation
    EE and HG
    Suspension
    Beckett or buckles

REI hammock?

I am an REI employee and there is some buzz going around that they will be producing a bridge style hammock in the next year or two... Its funny because the folks that have been talking about it act like it will be some grand innovation. I will be interested to see what it looks like, it sounds like it'll be called the "quarter dome air" after their light weight tent series. A caveat, with any luck it will get more folks hanging and hopefully folks like Dutch, Arrowhead, Hammock Gear, Enlightened, and all of the other fine cottage manufacturers will benefit from REIs marketing and poor design... Time will tell.

Hammock
    Netty, DW Nylon D,
    Tarp
    Camo Superfly
    Insulation
    G.Pepper 0 Inc 20
    Suspension
    Webbing/Whoopies
    I'm sure it will, look how many people started with ENO hammocks from REI, I know I did.

Hammock
    diy MTN series
    Tarp
    diy winterhex/asym
    Insulation
    EE and HG
    Suspension
    Beckett or buckles
    It will be interesting to see the outcome. I look back at my first hammock experience and I was just browsing amazon for a silnylon tarp! It was a chilly couple outings before I learned anything!

Hammock
    Dangerbird
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Klymit
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Here it is. It's called the Quarter Dome Air Hammock and it's a bridge hammock with integrated bug net and also a hex fly. For $219. Not bad.

110804_101216_60237_thumbnail1_thumb.png

http://newsroom.rei.com/spring-2017/tents/
    A lotta ins... lotta outs... lotta what-have-you's

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    I hate to be rude, it looks like a boat. I bet getting in and out of it will be a bear. I think part of the allure of the Bridge Hammocks is the fact they are easy in easy out plus, the view is a lot better than with gathered end hammocks. IMHO.

Really low price of our first hammock the ENO was a major draw to enter the world of Hanging. I think we paid $9.99 USD or something really low. I suspect it was the wholesale cost not retail, someone just made a pricing goof.

Our local REI seems to mostly sell oversized strollers and little kid high-end clothing. Not much for the no-toddlers or not into bicycling. Kind of sad, I remember when REI was a great place to find outdoors gear. Maybe it is just our local store that has gone to the bicycle/little kids market.

Hammock
    Dangerbird
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Klymit
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    It doesn't look anymore like a boat than a Jack's r better bmbh.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
    A lotta ins... lotta outs... lotta what-have-you's

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Hey HYOH. I'm sure they will sell. Looking forward to the first review. At least REI has recognized the need for a bridge hammock.

Hammock
    WL NightOwl
    Tarp
    Hanger 12
    Insulation
    AHE UQ + UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/DutchBling
    It seems like a good first bridge hammock for those who are unaware of the other options available. Think of a potential hanger who is tired of waking up sore but is turned off by their hanging-like-a-banana perspective of gathered-end hammocks. "Hey, this looks good: I'll be flat, and I can't fall out!"

I'm surprised it has taken this long for REI to jump on board. At this price point, including the fly, it is almost certain to be an import from China. Given that REI routinely offers a 20% discount coupon, the take home price will be around $175! I'm afraid this will have a negative effect on our domestic, cottage gear suppliers.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Snep Hammock, about 12 DIY's, etc.
    Tarp
    OneTigris Tiegman
    Insulation
    HG & HangTight
    Suspension
    Varies
    Already assuming poor designs and cheap builds? Hmm. Most of what I have aquired from my local REI has always been good. At the price point I would be curious, especially as it is already including the tarp. I like the idea of flipping it over for netless cool nights and I'm sure a host of our genders underquilts would work.
    How about we give it a chance before we slam it. I know, I know, "If it isn't our cottage vendors it must be crap..."
    Even our vendors started somewhere...
    _____
    Forest Fires cause Smoky Bears

"For the ultimate light weight rig just sleep on the ground in the clothes you are wearing!"

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast