Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

400 € Setup for 3 - Season Bycicle Camping In Europe

Hey guys,

complete newb here. I've looked through countless threads and have seen a lot of suggestions, but would like some specific recommendations if possible. I'd like to get the most bang for the buck, so if you feel that exceeding the budget a bit in either direction will give me a far greater value, then please do so.

I plan to be traveling at Temperatures in the range of 2 - 35 C. I'm 185cm tall (6 ft) and weigh about 67 kg (150 pounds).

I need a Hammock, Tarp, Underquilt (if that's necessary for my use case), Bug Netting (built in or seperate, I don't really have a preference either way), and tree straps, suspension system etc., but I already own a Sleeping Bag. While I have a list of stuff that has been recommended here(and I'm considering), but I'd like your unbiased opinion.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Edit: The only places selling camping hammocks with any kind of brand were these two, and I compiled a list of all the different models I could find on these sites. Anything else would probably be significantly more expensive (10-30%) because of international shipping and import taxes.
    Last edited by Unraisinable; 02-03-2016 at 06:56.

Hammock
    11' Dutch 2.4 Hexon
    Insulation
    Yukon Outfitters
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    For those of us across the pond that's roughly $440 U.S.

Looks to me that your options are fairly limited over there. I don't know much about the DD hammocks, but my wife just got a Hennessey Expedition Asym Zip. It is a decent setup for the money. I found it to be very comfortable, but am not a fan of the suspension system they use on them, also, it is a bit heavier than what I expected.

So, general rule is: any temperature under 20*C you will need something under you, whether it be some sort of sleeping pad or an underquilt. There are videos out there on how to use a camping pad for bottom insulation, but from my understanding an underquilt is much more comfortable than using a sleeping pad. How are your sewing skills? Could you make an underquilt yourself to save some money? That is the way I have decided to go for mine.

Good Luck!
    -Jason-

Thanks for the conversion, completely forgot to convert that.

Of that Hennessey set, there seems to be 20 different versions: The Asym, Asym Zip, Ultralight Asym, Ultralight Asym Zip, Deluxe Asym, Deluxe Asym Zip, and the Asym Classic. Do you have any insight into what the differences are and which to choose if I were to go for one of them?

For bottom isolation, pads are probably easier to come by, but I've read that underquilts are much better. As to the underquilt, the only one available that I could find was the ENO Ember 2, which seems to get mediocre reviews around here. But, if it's only one part, I can order something from the US, as long as it's 150€ including shipping or less, since that means I only need to pay 19% taxes, and not 32% taxes + duties. As to sewing, I've never tried it, so my skills are nonexistent. (Also, nobody I know is proficient in sewing either )

Thanks for the help!

Hammock
    11' Dutch 2.4 Hexon
    Insulation
    Yukon Outfitters
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Unraisinable View Post
    I can order something from the US, as long as it's 150€ including shipping or less, since that means I only need to pay 19% taxes, and not 32% taxes + duties.
    What?!?!?! That's crazy!
    -Jason-

Hammock
    11' Dutch 2.4 Hexon
    Insulation
    Yukon Outfitters
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Unraisinable View Post
    Thanks for the conversion, completely forgot to convert that.

Of that Hennessey set, there seems to be 20 different versions: The Asym, Asym Zip, Ultralight Asym, Ultralight Asym Zip, Deluxe Asym, Deluxe Asym Zip, and the Asym Classic. Do you have any insight into what the differences are and which to choose if I were to go for one of them?

For bottom isolation, pads are probably easier to come by, but I've read that underquilts are much better. As to the underquilt, the only one available that I could find was the ENO Ember 2, which seems to get mediocre reviews around here. But, if it's only one part, I can order something from the US, as long as it's 150€ including shipping or less, since that means I only need to pay 19% taxes, and not 32% taxes + duties. As to sewing, I've never tried it, so my skills are nonexistent. (Also, nobody I know is proficient in sewing either )

Thanks for the help!
    There are going to be 2 big differences between all the different versions of the Hennessy hammocks you have listed above #1 is weight, and #2 is how you get in to them- the Asym zip has an attached zippered bug net along one side- the standard Asym versions also have an attached bug net, but instead of a zippered side entry, you get into the hammock from underneath - check out you tube for some videos showing the differences in both designs. personally, the bottom entry thing doesn't appeal to me.
    -Jason-

just saw this post elsewhere

Woot item from Yukon-outfitter UNDERQUILT

Woot has a new Yukon-Outfitters item. It is an Underquilt at just under $50. They also have a top quilt as well as some hammocks and bugscreens. Here is a link to the underquilt and topquilt. http://sport.woot.com/offers/yukon-o...=sp_cnt_wp_0_6

Quote Originally Posted by datman View Post
    What?!?!?! That's crazy!
    In the past that was offset by the favorable exchange rate, but now there's not even that. No use complaining, though.

Quote Originally Posted by datman View Post
    There are going to be 2 big differences between all the different versions of the Hennessy hammocks you have listed above #1 is weight, and #2 is how you get in to them- the Asym zip has an attached zippered bug net along one side- the standard Asym versions also have an attached bug net, but instead of a zippered side entry, you get into the hammock from underneath - check out you tube for some videos showing the differences in both designs. personally, the bottom entry thing doesn't appeal to me.
    OK, thanks for the info. The zippered Version does sound better.

Quote Originally Posted by ken&me View Post
    just saw this post elsewhere
    Woot item from Yukon-outfitter UNDERQUILT
    Woot has a new Yukon-Outfitters item. It is an Underquilt at just under $50. They also have a top quilt as well as some hammocks and bugscreens. Here is a link to the underquilt and topquilt. http://sport.woot.com/offers/yukon-o...=sp_cnt_wp_0_6
    Anyone know anything about these items (the link didn't work for me, so here's another one)? The prices seem too good to be true.

Hammock
    Dutchware or Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I'm guessing that you are using a road bike of some sort with panniers? I like to bike camp on a Surly Longhaul Trucker but I'm building a new bike for off-road camping, a Surly ECR with 3" tires.

Just my opinion and based on my limited experience:

1. Get an 11' gathered-end hammock. Either make one, buy one used here or get one new. I bought a Dutchware hammock and love it. Plus it was fairly inexpensive.

2. For insects, I have a Dutch Fronkey bugnet and it works great. I like having it separate if I just want to use the hammock. I hate the ones that are like a sleeve.

3. Pick a suspension. I like whoopie slings on 2 of my hammocks but I also have a set with cinch buckles and that is a very solid, reliable system.

4. Since you already have a sleeping bag, I would get a nice sleeping pad for under protection. That way you have an alternate option if you can't find trees.

5. Pick up a nice tarp. I have a warbonnet mamba jamba and a superfly and love them both. I could use either if I had to go to ground. Pack a small ground cover as well.

Since you are biking, you can probably get away with a little extra weight.

I will comment that I love my HQ Incubator 20 UQ but that may put you over budget.

I don't own a Hennessy but saw one a couple of weeks ago. I think that is a great setup with tarp and integrated bugnet, for the price.

I mentioned an 11' hammock only because my first hammock was 10.5' that I don't use anymore as it isn't as comfortable, to me, as my 2 11' hammocks.

My current setup is made up of a couple items I bought here. I have a dream hammock clone 'Cremesicle' 11' hammock that has an integrated bugnet that I can zip all the way down and out of the way. I bought it from the guy who made it and I really like it. It uses a cinch buckle system that was very easy to setup.

It's colder here and I'm using my Superfly so I can close it up if needed. I keep it in snake skins and use a lot of Dutch bling for the CRL and tie-outs. In warmer weather, I'll use my mamba Jamba. I think you should be able to find a reasonable priced tarp fairly easy.

I use my HG 20 UQ up to 50-60 degrees. The coldest I've had it is 12-15.

I just picked up a used HG Burrow 50 TQ here. I haven't tested it yet but it should work for my spring trip.

I can fit all of this into 1 pannier pretty easily. The UQ and TQ take up less room than my old sleeping bag and I can fit this setup into a seat bag for my off-road camping trips as well. It's much lighter and more comfortable than my old tent setup.

I know shipping to Europe can get expensive. Good luck!

Billio

Australia...Sub-Tropical Qld, Temperate Tasmania & Tropical Thailand
    Hammock
    Madtree Tarseer
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben
    Insulation
    Warm & fluffy
    Suspension
    Slings and Rings
    Images
    There's a couple of DD Frontline Hδngematte's on german ebay...
    I have a Hennessy Ultralite Asym without the zip, among others, that work's fine too.
    I'm 185cms & slightly heavier than your skinny 67kg.

Definitely get a bug net built in, one less thing to put together if there's rain storm fast approaching.

Since you already have a sleeping bag, you could use a pad, not ideal and will move around during the night.
    Still keeps you warm though. if finances are good buy a UQ.
    A Hennessy Supershelter will take down to 5c add a shiny emergency space blanket(lightweight)
    or wear thermals to bed if it gets colder.

The DD Frontline is double layered so a pad can be used in between those layers.

Look forward to your trip reports once the roof over your head is sorted out....

Ofuros.
    Mountain views are good for the soul....& getting to them is good for my waistline.

https://ofuros.exposure.co/

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    As I said in your other thread, go for an 11' hammock. 10' would be OK as well, but most people your size appreciate the extra foot.

Don't buy DD. Their longest hammock is only 300cm long. Additionally DDs are heavy, and the XL hammock isn't cheap.

With regards to Hennessy, I have had the opportunity to lie in the Deep Jungle XL which is supposedly 11' long - but it felt tiny compared to my Warbonnet Blackbird, which is a bit shorter than 10'. I believe it's the way the netting is cut. It doesn't give you a lot of room. But if you go with Hennessy, make sure to get one of their longer models.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast