Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Dutchware Halfwit
    Tarp
    Aqua Quest Guide

How much protection do I need?

I am planning on buying or making a tarp for my 11 foot dutchware halfwit. I was wondering how much protection an asym offers as opposed to a hex or equivalent. I am fine sacrificing some room underneath the tarp to save some weight, but I want to be dry. Would it be worth getting an Asym, or will I get wet? (Note: this is for three season camping in heavily wooded areas. Also, cuben fiber is out of my price range.)

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Mountain Wildernes
    Insulation
    Loco Libre
    Suspension
    BIAS Anchors
    I spent several years with a 9x9 tarp hung diagonally. Much like an asym, it can be fine as long as you pick your spot carefully. Depending on the severity of the rain. That gave me 150" (approximately ) ridgeline, more than adequate for an 11' hammock. Depending on the storm. YMMV

Images
    If you are a distance hiker and just need a dry place to sleep smaller will save you a bunch of weigh. I've never been a fan of asyn tarps because they offer very little end coverage.
    If I was in the market for a smaller tarp to save weigh but also wanted a little guarentee of staying dry if the weather turns bad I look at a tarp like the Wilderness Logic Tadpole or Warbonnet edge with one set of doors.

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    It's really up to you. You can get by with minimal coverage in all sorts of weather, but at the end of the day, it sucks being super confined to a small space when the weather is poor, and windy conditions can cause some problems.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    It seems some people camp in places with highly predictable weather, and they never seem to encounter blowing precipitation. If you think you'll encounter the same, go for a skimpy tarp.

Personally, I've encountered a lot of blowing precipitation so I stick with a tarp with doors, like the Superfly.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Superfly for me, as well, for the same reason as SilvrSurfr. Never know how the weather will be on a 3+ day backpacking trip. Forecasts change, elevation changes forecasts, etc.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I also prefer a tarp with doors unless I am overnight and not rain is in the forcast.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Grand Trunk
    Tarp
    walkabout fly
    Insulation
    OV 20 UQ or PLUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Your call, it might also depend on what other gear you might carry to better reinforce your tarp. I use a light poncho for rain wear and can use it to better protect from blowing precipitation.

Hammock
    Netless + Bottom Entry net
    Tarp
    Rectangle
    I think end protection is crucial. It can be solved either by doors or increased length. A hex shape looks to me like it fits the curved shape of a hammock better than an asym. I DIY'd my own hex tarp that is a little shorter than most would think is acceptable, but I put partial doors on the ends that more than made up for it. It's a compromise whichever way you go, just keep an open mind and be creative.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    HG: CF 4S
    Insulation
    HG: TQ. UQ
    Suspension
    WS and Dutch Hooks
    I have never got wet in my Half-Wit with my Hammock Gear Standard. I know Cuben is out of your reach and that is cool, but when you have a tarp with doors, you don't have to stress as much looking for a camp spot where the wind is blowing around from different directions especially if it is raining and blowing.

If you can do some DIY work, get the plans off Ripstop by the roll and some silpoly or polysil (whatever) and make yourself a tarp with doors. It would be less than $100. My wife made a large tarp with doors, bigger than a superfly, (for hanging with the kids under the same tarp) and the fabric is relatively easy to work with and I have never seen it leak (no misting either) and we have been in some heavy rain with it.

The asym would be light, but you have to pay attention to your camp spot in the blowing rain and might want to consider an underquilt protector for keeping the splashes off your UQ or hammock (depending on if you are an UQ or Pad user).
    "When you see something wobble, push it."
    - Unknown

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast