Dutch
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    AHE quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie

Help me fine tune this

I'm having problems getting everything to work together here...this is my first hammock so not sure if it's adjustment issues or user issues...haha. I've watched shugs and AHE's videos but it still won't work quite right. I got my underquilt where there aren't any gaps and no CBS but When I lay on the diagonal, my feet keep wanting to hang over the edge of the hammock. Is this normal? That is the angle my body naturally finds in the hammock, if I try to straighten up there is a huge ridge that forms and pushes me back into this diagonal lay where my feet hang over.

My biggest problem is the half bug net though. The shock cord that goes under the hammock to hold it down keeps working its way up to my neck area instead of staying under my back. This causes the bug net to ride up and causes huge gaps between the shock cord and where the net attaches up by the suspension. How do I stop this?
    If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas.

Hammock
    1.7SL WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20° TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Spiders/Hooks
    It sounds like maybe your center of gravity is too far toward the foot-end. Try raising your foot-end suspension 12" and see how that feels. It should move your center of gravity (aka butt) toward the head end, allowing more length at the bottom for your feet to stay in the hammock.

How much space is available above your head? When I lay in my 11-footer, I only have enough space above my head to fold my arm, not extend all the way out.

Hammock
    Dutch
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    AHE quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I can't reach the top of my hammock when laying down...I can't raise my suspension anymore because it's at the top of the poles now but I'll try lowering my head end some....it will put the hammock right above the ground when I'm in it but that won't be a problem in the woods. Thanks, going to give that a shot now.
    If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas.

Hammock
    Dutch
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    AHE quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Dropped the head end down a foot(took it off the strap and hung it on the hook on the pole you see in the picture) and other than putting me lower to the ground, no change. My arm can't reach the top end of the hammock, my foot hangs over a bit, and the bugnet still goes straight up to my head and causes a gap. Pics included...

I'm 5'10 and around 270 if that makes a difference.

Hammock
    Dutch
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    AHE quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Ridgeline is set at 100"

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Your foot area looks about right. A Knotty Mod would lessen the loose fabric here and help keep your foot in the hammock.

Also, your plenty close to the head end. You don't really need to adjust this anymore, other than don't lower the head end a full foot. Go back to how you had it and lower the head in increments of 4". This way, you can get closer to level with a slight dip in the head. After you get your center of gravity dialed in then adjust the SRL if needed, but seems it's good if your comfortable with no leg ridge.

The shock cord, no idea. Maybe add a thin shock cord from this to your foot area to keep it on your back instead of neck. Or, use a paper binder on each side to temporarily hold it to the side of the hammock and see if this helps. Then adjustments can be made for a permanent fix.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    WBBB XLC, DUTCHWARE, ETC...
    Tarp
    HG WP/Standard
    Insulation
    HG INCUBATOR/PHOEN
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Cinch
    It's really difficult to tell from your pictures, however, it appears to me that you have way too much sag in your hammock and you suspension. Try setting your suspension at less of an angle (set it at about 30 degrees). Also, if 100 inches is as long as your ridgeline is, I'm betting that is causing some of your problems. I know is I have too much sag in mine, I have the same issues you are describing.

Hammock
    Dutch
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    AHE quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Maybe that's it...I'll play with that when I get my posts fixed...too much rain I guess, one of the poles started to lay over. I've had these things in the ground for 3 years now and have hung lots of net style hammocks from them with no issues...go figure.

I thought I posted this picture in the first post but missed it somehow...

I've saw somewhere that 100" was a good starting point for the ridgeline but I've also seen 83% which would make it 109". 109 gave me a loose ridgeline that had slack even after laying in the hammock so I'm sure that means I have problems with my suspension angles also.

That doesn't look right at all. Looks like the ridgeline is too short.

Hammock
    Dutch
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    AHE quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    100" is too short for a 11' hammock? When I laid in it the ridgeline was tight and had very little give. I think it might look odd because I had the underquilt sucked up tight and that raised the hammock up some.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast