Hammock
    Dream hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream13
    Insulation
    UGQ Zep/BanditXL
    Suspension
    Multibuckles
    This post has been a fun read since I have my Dutchy doohickeys on the way for my new tarp to fashion my own ridgeline. I planned on making the tarp permanent to the continuous ridgeline.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    If you prussic the soft shackle as I imagine it, simply creating a closed loop and turning a few wraps around the ridge line, doesn't it create too much compression around the bury of the shackle preventing it from opening?

I need some help seeing this in action!!

Hammock
    Dutchwear Hexon 2.4
    Tarp
    KeltyNoah12
    Insulation
    HGIncub20UQ MH20TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Yes, but you wouldn't be using it for the intended purpose of a soft shackle any more. You'd be using it as a continuous loop. I imagine, if it works, that if you decide later to use it as a soft shackle again, it shouldn't be too hard to work it loose.

It may not work though since the cord diameter of the shackle is larger than the RL diameter.

I just made some CLs long enough to use as prusiks. You have to make them long enough that the buries aren't part of the wrap because that makes it too fat to grab well, at least in my limited experience. It's probably the same problem you'll have using the shackles as prusiks unless there;s a way around it.

The reason for the suggestion of trying the shackle as a CL was to potentially save you from buying materials to make your own CL's. If it doesn't work, buy or make the CL's. Either way the intention was to use S-Biners to clip the tarp to the loops of the prusiks whether it be new CL's are re-purposed shackles.
    Last edited by SpitballJedi; 02-14-2016 at 14:43.

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    Perhaps a soft shackle without a bury, like this one. I haven't tried this yet but I intend to. It sure looks like it'd be a whole lot easier to work, maybe even with gloves.

Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    Any chance you can post a picture of how the soft shackles re prusik' on?
    Yes, give me a bit, I'm currently set up in the backyard to take a test drive through the anticipated winter weather tonight.
    Caminante, son tus huellas el camino y nada más... - Antonio Machado

My bad, I've replaced all the shackles with continuous loops because the shackles were frustrating to open. Imagine this photo with the shackle part at the bottom, it could be opened to attach something.

20160214_155039.jpg

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sqidmark View Post
    Perhaps a soft shackle without a bury, like this one. I haven't tried this yet but I intend to. It sure looks like it'd be a whole lot easier to work, maybe even with gloves.
    Those are the ones I use.. I'm going to make a few tonight, out of Dynaglide, just to see how they work.

Oh lord.. I am so deeply entrenched in this whole splicing thing!! Where is it going to stop!?!

Quote Originally Posted by Caminante View Post
    My bad, I've replaced all the shackles with continuous loops because the shackles were frustrating to open. Imagine this photo with the shackle part at the bottom, it could be opened to attach something.

20160214_155039.jpg

Thanks.. I had a moment of clarity last night and realized that the sliding section of the soft shackle doesn't go all the way around. So, as long as you make them long enough, the section used as the prussik, doesn't interfere with the shackle function. Good stuff!

That modified shackle really seems like the way to go, I'm going to try a few in 7/64 and 1.75 and see how well they work. Should work in a prussic scenario as long as you make it long enough to begin with.

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    Yesterday I made one out of zing-it. Preliminary testing as a prusik showed that it doesn't grip as well as a buried shackle. It's more difficult to simply add more turns because there are sooo many lines, they tend to get criss-crossed. Although it sure is a whole easier to open up to slip the diamond knot through.

Yesterday I made one out of zing-it. Preliminary testing as a prusik showed that it doesn't grip as well as a buried shackle. It's more difficult to simply add more turns because there are sooo many lines, they tend to get criss-crossed. Although it sure is a whole easier to open up to slip the diamond knot through.
    I hadn't really thought about the double lines, but maybe you just need two or three wraps which would give you four to six "prussic" wraps. Kudos to you for tying a diamond stopper in Zing It - I do it for Amsteel, but for Zing It I just do a back splice and then tie an overhand knot on the back splice which yields a pretty fat knob.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast