Tarp
    DD 4x4
    Insulation
    DIY Costco UQ, pad
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    Images

Help! I need answers

I decided to go shopping today to see if my local army surplus store had any hammocks. They didn't. Unfortunately I still managed to leave there much poorer. I checked out some local thrift stores to see what they had for material and such but I don't think there was anything useful although I did find a really good wool blanket for a good price I might do a little experiment with. So then I decided to go to the Bass Pro online catalogue and found some hammocks but I have some questions.

1. I have no sewing machine. Is it possible to make a good DIY hammock without one?

2. I definitely will need a bug net at some point as we have four seasons here. Fall, winter, black fly and mosquito. :lol So what in everyone's opinion do you like better the bug net built in or separate. I'm kind of thinking I might prefer separate because I would be able to leave it off when it's not necessary for an unobstructed view and I wonder if I would be less likely to get my rump chewed off by bugs.

3. So now for some opinions on what was available at Bass Pro. There were a few Eagles Nest, single, double and jungle nest (all rated for 400 lbs I believe) then there were a couple of Hennesey Expedition asym setups that included everything (tarps, built in bug screen and hanging equipment) but they were only rated for 250 lbs. (between my dog and myself we would be approaching that weight) and there were a couple of Thermarest hammocks (no bug screen) that seemed to have some good reviews and were rated for 395 lbs. Opinions on any of these from anyone with experience on them would be appreciated.

And now for anyone from southern Ontario with any insight on other sources to check out (I haven't tried Sail or LeBarons yet) that is greatly appreciated as well.

Oh and I am about 5'7". I know that probably is relevant.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I don't know the size of your dog, but I thing when it comes to a hammock two is too many. Make a pad next to the hammock for the dog.

It seems in the beginning people want to go cheap and buy items that later they'll leave for something better. It's not all bad, because you can use the cheap gear for afternoon naps, day hikes, lending to friends, etc.

There are many, many, many "What should I buy" posts in this forum. I suggest you buy the small book, The Ultimate Hang, and that will start to give you a useful perspective to go forward.

+1 on buying "The ultimate hang". Best way to get up to speed on the basics.

If your choice is between Hennessey and Eno, I'd choose Hennessey. I slept in mine last night, have owned it almost two years, and have great respect for the product in its stock form. I would recommend the Explorer over the Expedition because it's longer. I am 5'9" and fit my Expedition OK and you might find it adequate as well, but if I had it to do over I would go for the Explorer.

I don't have a dog and wouldn't consider putting one in my hammock, but videos I have watched of people who do make it look very uncomfortable. Member Fronkey routinely hikes with dogs but they don't sleep in his hammock so far as I know. If you search YouTube for Fronkey you can see what he does with dogs on the trail.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    If you plan on actually camping overnight in a hammock you will also need some insulation. What's your budget?

Weight ratings are for safe working loads. The hammocks and suspensions will have a very high actual breaking point so I wouldn't worry too much about being close to any company's stated limits.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    DIY 11ft
    Tarp
    DIY - SilPoly 2.0
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield 5
    Suspension
    UCR
    Images
    Start your addiction at www.dutchwaregear.com. For less money than you will spend at bass pro you will get better gear. We have many cottage vendors on here that do a superior job than the commercial vendors.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    This is my best advice for someone just starting out. As for gear, check the cottage vendor here. You will end up spending less $ in the long run than you will if you go with something like ENO. I can't say anything bad about HH. I have two and use them all the time in bug season.

1) Read all the sticky posts at the top of each section here at Hammock Forums. You will find all of your questions answered plus questions you have not thought of yet.

2) Go to You Tube and watch all of Shug's videos. He will also answer all your questions but make you laugh. Leave lots of times to watch these

3) Google and read Derek's The Ultimate Hang pages. He does a great of explaining things you did not even know you needed to know. He also does great diagrams so it's easy to understand.

4) Attend a Hammock Forum group hang before you invest any addition $ in your gear. There folks will show you and let you check out their gear so you can make educated decisions based on your own comfort levels

4) Lastly NEVER take any gear to the field that you have not completely tested in controlled conditions such as your back yard in the temps/environment you expect to encounter in the field. A set up that suits one person will mostly likely not suit another so don't assume that just because I like/can be comfortable with a specific piece of gear that you will. Really. We are all very different when it comes to hammocks and what works/what does not work.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Quote Originally Posted by dkurfiss View Post
    This is my best advice for someone just starting out. As for gear, check the cottage vendor here. You will end up spending less $ in the long run than you will if you go with something like ENO. I can't say anything bad about HH. I have two and use them all the time in bug season.

1) Read all the sticky posts at the top of each section here at Hammock Forums. You will find all of your questions answered plus questions you have not thought of yet.

2) Go to You Tube and watch all of Shug's videos. He will also answer all your questions but make you laugh. Leave lots of times to watch these

3) Google and read Derek's The Ultimate Hang pages. He does a great of explaining things you did not even know you needed to know. He also does great diagrams so it's easy to understand.

4) Attend a Hammock Forum group hang before you invest any addition $ in your gear. There folks will show you and let you check out their gear so you can make educated decisions based on your own comfort levels

4) Lastly NEVER take any gear to the field that you have not completely tested in controlled conditions such as your back yard in the temps/environment you expect to encounter in the field. A set up that suits one person will mostly likely not suit another so don't assume that just because I like/can be comfortable with a specific piece of gear that you will. Really. We are all very different when it comes to hammocks and what works/what does not work.
    +1 to dkurfiss.

Like the OP, I'm from Southern Ontario. Unlike the OP, I'm 192cm / 96kg (6'4", 205lbs).
    I slept very comfortably outside last night in my backyard, slung between an apple tree and a pear tree. 0°C (freezing point) outside; snug inside my hammock. I have a 0° C mummy bag from MEC and a Prolite Large inflatable mat. I wore all my hiking clothes in the bag (merino, light fleece, synthetic vest, light fleece hoodie, windshirt, old Goretex jacket, warm loose socks. I figure I'm good down for another 5C° at least.
    I love my Hennessey Ultralight Assym Classic. Being a tall guy, I had to order mine direct from Hennessey instead of buying the normal size version from MEC. I'm happy fiddling with gear, and playing with mods, but I do appreciate the do-it-once of the Hennessey system. (I ordered mine by phone to get Canuck prices, and I got an excellent deal for one that supposedly had dye flaws in the tarp, though I can't see them …)
    I'm trying a Hennessey Hex tarp that's bigger than the lightweight asymmetrical tarp that comes stock-order with the Hennessey. I think I want better rain protection in winds as I'm going to be thruhiking our local Bruce Trail in May, tracing Spring northwards. Https://brucetraillium.wordpress.com
    So far, I'm not convinced the extra 500g is worth the acknowledged better protection of the Hex tarp. I'm going to be in good deciduous 'bush' (forest) all the way, even though the maple leaves won't be out for the first several weeks.
    Last night was my seventh night in my Hennessey, so I'm not experienced in hammocks. (I'm a canoeist.) Each night has deliberately been around the zero degrees C mark as I really want to dial in my cold-weather gear. Each night has been with different combinations of hardware, learning as I go. My coldest has been -7°C (with an additional Costco down throw).
    I figure I'm good to go on my sleeping system now — once I return the Hex tarp to MEC.

FWIW, I've had great advice and great gear selection from Adventure Guide in KW. See Ashley, though the rest of the staff is also very good.
    I've been the rounds of all the outdoor stores I can find in S Ont, but MEC for selection, and AG for advice and selection has worked well for me.
    That, and this forum!!!

Hammock
    11 ft made by MounainWilderness 365
    Tarp
    10x12 Monster Fly
    Insulation
    pads
    Suspension
    5' whoopies
    Images
    >>>
    >>>

It's sort of common sense, but it's not feasible always. I usually go to the field with yet another gear/setup that was not tested before. Usually, I have a contingency plan for equipment failure and my first night is not too far from my car. I have not bailed out yet, but that's always a fair option for me.

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    Ontario = winter so don't rush your purchases. Figure out when/where you are actually going to use the equipment with the choosing of top and bottom insulation VERY carefully considered.
    My dog likes to sleeps on the ground under the hammock, so your selections may be different.
    I have been using a Hennessy Hammock since 2003 - great all in one package - just add top/bottom insulation.
    Gathered end hammocks can be paired with Fronkey style bugnet or a simple HUG bugnet.
    I have/use a no sew DIY Hammock/No sew HUG bugnet - good but cheap start-up. 4 years old now and still fine:
    DIY hammock: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJlEQpcbM1I ; HUG Bugnet: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...k-Half-Bug-Net (to skip sewing, just tie to the corners)
    Or search for tablecloth hammocks.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast