Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images

Pad between Peapod and Hammock

Does anyone use a pad UNDER their hammock in their peapod? I've got a 30 degree peapod that I have used with a No Sniveler on the bottom for added warmth, and that works pretty well. However a peapod with an OQ and an UQ makes for quite a bulky albeit warm setup(I've slept toasty at minus 15 F that way).

I also have a BA insulated aircore "petite" that is 60" long by 20" wide and is rated with an R value of 4.1. Since it is a "petite" , it only weighs 16 ounces and packs up smaller than my no sniveler. It would be great to cut some bulk and weight by using the BA insulated air core in place of the UQ. I'll still take an OQ to fill the gap between the peapod and myself.

I was just wondering if anyone else has tried this for a significant boost in warmth. I have an SPE, but I really don't like pads IN my hammock.

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    I did 17F with Peapod and a ccf inside the hammock...in fact got too warm with down pants and jacket..

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    I did 17F with Peapod and a ccf inside the hammock...in fact got too warm with down pants and jacket..
    I've used my SPE inside the hammock. I was just wondering how well it contributes insulation stuffed inside the peapod as opposed to inside the hammock. Looking back, I wish that I had gotten the 20 degree peapod instead of the 30 degree version.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wisenber View Post
    I've used my SPE inside the hammock. I was just wondering how well it contributes insulation stuffed inside the peapod as opposed to inside the hammock. Looking back, I wish that I had gotten the 20 degree peapod instead of the 30 degree version.
    I've done it, but not enough to put it to the test at any temps colder than what the pod's 20F rating. I have put a space blanket in there to get 10-11F OK. I had a pad for backup but didn't need it.

But I have a friend who regularly supplements a 55*F pod with a pad UNDER the hammock, and has been toasty down into the 20s. I think he used a thermarest self-inflating of some kind, but not one of the real thick ones. Along with a top quilt, he has been very happy with that set up.

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    I'd love to be able to test that out some time. My challenge in testing is twofold. First, it does not get all that cold here all that often. Secondly, I tend to camp about 3000 feet higher than the elevation of my global testing facilities (backyard trees).

Still, I suppose I could be a sport and try it out in the field. The worst case would be me finding that the pad is not warm enough under the hammock, in which case I just put it in my hammock.

Heck, if I'm going to have that fallback, I may even get brave and try the two garbage bags with space blankets crinkled inside and see how that plays out. Of course I'll have my BA pad if that fails.

BillyBob, when you say "space blanket" do you mean the thin mylar ones or the heavier ones? I was going to use the thin ones in trashbags, but I usually take one of the 12 ounce ones for a groundcloth/blanket/raingear/tarp if needed.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    -15* wow thats great you'll have alot of winter bulk, to handle those temps.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Last January, in 10 *F at Mt. Rogers, Ed Speer rigged his hammock with his ccf pad inside and his PeaPod outside. The PeaPod was then wrapped in very lightweight plastic.

I'd worry about the pad creating voids if you put it under the hammock, inside the PeaPod.

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

• + New Posts