Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images
    I have been life long side sleeper, never could sleep on my back at all. After a resection of my intestines I had no choice, docs orders sleep on my back only. It took mouths to sleep well on my back, that was a dozen years prior to discovering camping hammocks, I had converted back to side sleeping but plank style, again docs orders. After starting GE hammocks went back to back sleeping, since plank side sleeping and GE hammocks aren't the best combo. After a good workout, tiring day or a good hike I find it very doable to start and sleep well and wake up in the same position.

Just a long winded way of saying it can be done but the whole reason for getting out is enjoyment, and a hammock is just one component of a sleep system, just a mere tool in the tool chest. There ain't any tool suited for all jobs. Pick the tool that works best for the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitroxis View Post
    I haven't said anything about this as of yet, but I've been having real trouble falling asleep in a hammock. I can take a nap, but not truly sleep at night. I've been hammock camping a total of 10 collective nignts and was not able to sleep more than 2 hours on any one of those nights. I'm sleeping at an angle and have tried experimenting with positioning. My problem is that I am not a back sleeper. I am mainly a stomach sleeper. When I'm on my back in the hammock my shoulders are a bit compressed no matter what I do. The only time I'm able to sleep is when I can finally get comfortable on my side...but wake up 2 hours later in discomfort. Now, on my back I'm not necessarily uncomfortable, I just cannot sleep that way. I lay there for hours. I'm hanging at a 45. I'm looking for a bit of advice before I pull the plug on this thing. I tried last night to get comfortable but with no luck. I've been using a TimerRec hammock and have previously used a tablecloth hammock and a nylon cheapy.
    Give me more darkness said the blind man,
    Give me more folly said the fool,
    Give me stone silence said the deaf man,
    I didn't believe Sunday School.
    Phil Keaggy

Hammock
    HHDJ JUNGLE XL(2)
    Tarp
    RSBTR & Superfly
    Insulation
    TQ HG20* UQ HG20*
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle
    I am not a Doctor but I had some serious back pain when I was in my late 20's. I had surgery in 1972 and have never slept on my stomach since and have had no more back problems. And for the last 3 years I can say I have never had a more comfortable sleep than the ones I experience in a hammock. If your hammock is not large enough it is not as good as it can be. If you can teach yourself to sleep on your side(use a knee pillow) or your back(pillow under knees) you just might solve your back problem.

Hammock
    Dutch 11 Single Nylon
    Tarp
    cuben
    Insulation
    40* down, full.
    Suspension
    Dyneema straps.
    I'm a light sleeper in general. I've got to be really tired to fall out. I'm also a backpacker and hit pretty tough areas when I go out. As a consequence I'm always well worn at bedtime.

Without a decent workout I'd be doing much more sky gazing for sure.

I also don't nap well under any circumstances. The exception is about a half hour after breakfast on a hang. That's when I truly fall off the cliff.

For me, personally, hammocking is only part of a regimen for me to stay fit. There's got to be a good physical effort involved or I wouldn't be doing any of it.

It's the give-take deal I make with myself.

But it works. So in a way, light sleeping may serve a greater purpose for my wierdness.

I ramble...

Sv

Hammock
    Dutch net less wide
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20's / SLD TW
    Suspension
    Straps/no harware
    I am pretty much the same way when it comes to sleeping through the night in my hammock. What it boils down to for me is that when morning comes my back feels good. I gave up backpacking awhile ago, because i just could not sleep on the ground anymore. After finding out about hammock camping i am able to get back into backpacking. Not only that, but my wife is willing to go now too. Are you car camping or backpacking?

Hammock
    Polyester Taffeta Tablecloth
    Tarp
    HH Large Hex
    Insulation
    Ember 2/Snugpak
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle/Strap
    Images
    Sorry, just got back from a car camping trip. To answer some of the questions asked; 1. My hammock is 9' long. I'm 6'. 2. I have hung from many different distances because 3. I backpack 99% of the time and use what trees are available to me.
    My hammock may be too short. In principle I absolutely love the idea of hammock camping. In my mind it is superior to many methods. I might just need a larger hammock. Mine is a double nest but only 9' long. I backpack and hammock and do these things because it gets me out in nature and makes me happy. I might have to get a longer hammock and see where that takes me. Thanks for the responses and keep them coming if you can add to the mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitroxis View Post
    My hammock is 9' long. I'm 6'. 2. … My hammock may be too short.
    Way too short. I am 6'1" and can't get comfortable, really comfortable, in anything less than 11'.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HH Large Hex
    Insulation
    Ember 2/Snugpak
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle/Strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by babaloo View Post
    Way too short. I am 6'1" and can't get comfortable, really comfortable, in anything less than 11'.
    I believe I slept more comfortably in my tablecloth hammock. If my memory serves me right it was about ~18" longer. Unfortunately it must have worn a small tear in it because my friend sat in it a few weeks ago and split right through the center of it! It was a soft landing.

I hung mine in my bedroom and just kept trying different things.... figured I just needed to keep trying it.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HH Large Hex
    Insulation
    Ember 2/Snugpak
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle/Strap
    Images
    OK! Since I'm going to get a longer hammock I have an important question to ask... When a manufacturer states the hammock length, are they measuring from one end of the cloth to the other, or are they including biners/rope too?

Hammock
    DW netless/JS Full net
    Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 40
    Suspension
    Dutch buckle/strap
    This is open to debate, but generally this is referring to the finished hammock material from end to end. An 11 foot hammock will not hang at 11 feet with a structural ridge line, but it is still called an 11 foot. That's what I use at 6'4".
    Look up before you hook up!!
    Originally Posted by body942
    Me big. Me like hammockgear burrow. Long. Problems no. People good.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast