Hitting RRG KY in the morning!

Looking forward to another trip, been waiting forever to get out, made a New years resolution to get out once a month for atleast an overnight.

We did attend the Hoosier winter hang for 2 nights/3 days, but Im still itching to strap on our packs. We are going to the gorge in the early AM, and bringing our 12yr old daughter with us this time, for her first backpack/hang trip! I grabbed an Eno (junglenest?) from a friend for her to use. With temps looking to be WARM (45 low!), a cheap Walmart 40deg mummy, a shenandoah TQ as backup, and a greylock 3 should keep her toasty. I'm hoping the bugnet gives her some "security", and she doesnt mind the more open feel of a hammock instead of a tent.

We will be using our Dutchwaregear spreader bars for the first time in the woods to set up the wife and I's hammocks, I think it should work fine. I still don't have the double whoopie hooks, but I rigged up some prusik knots on the whoopie slings to hold the tips of the spreader bars, seemed to work fine in the office. In order to use the whoopie hooks, I need to change up my suspension, or I think atleast get some continuous loops at the hammock.

It will also be the first backpack trip for our new massive DIY tarp. We got to test it out at the Hoosier hang, and so far so good. Both of our hammocks fit pretty well, and it blocks a ton of wind. I was able to cook under it at the foot end of our hammocks with plenty of room. The Xenon sil is awesome fabric, its a HUGE tarp, and packs just about as small as one of our WL Tadpoles, and doesn't weigh much more either.

We are retracing our first backpacking trip from last year, again on the rough trail. We have been planning for a Smoky Mountain trip in mid Feb, so I'm considering this a sort of shakedown.

Pack weights are definitely better this go around, even with some luxuries thrown in.

My ULA Circuit (Food for 3 +16oz water- and the extra Shenandoah TQ) 24.1 lbs

My wifes ULA Ohm (With extra snacks for 3+16oz water) 16.6lbs

Our Daughters High sierra 50L (just a few "on hand" snacks and 16oz water) 16.8lbs

Amazing how much weight is saved by having good gear+packs. The kids pack was supposed to be the lightest! Especially cool because my wifes pack weight would allow her to sleep comfortably to single digits or lower. (0 degree TQ, Old rag mnt full length as a UQ, Thermarest sitpad, Even a dutch winter sock!)

This backpacking thing may have cost me a fortune, but its pretty cool to have all you need for (winter!)days weigh so little. Worth every penny so far.

I'll be sure to post a trip report with pics!

Hammock
    Dutch,SLD
    Tarp
    Superfly,Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Sounds like a nice trip, looking foreword to the pics.

Hammock
    Sheltowee Hammocks
    Tarp
    Big, Retangular
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    should be a great weekend here in the bluegrass! have fun, and take pics! I've really like Dutch's spreader bar, it works well and so much easier to cover two with one tarp.
    -Alex

Sheltowee Hammocks Feature INTEGRATED UNDERQUILTS! Starting at $224

Step Out Of Your Sheltowee @ www.ShellHammocks.com

Hammock
    Sheltowee Hammocks
    Tarp
    Big, Retangular
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    great to see The Red with some snow AND bright blue sky! A true and rare BlueBird day y'all had. Very envious.
    -Alex

Sheltowee Hammocks Feature INTEGRATED UNDERQUILTS! Starting at $224

Step Out Of Your Sheltowee @ www.ShellHammocks.com

Hammock
    War bonnet blackbird
    I did the RRG last fall. Will be heading back in March with the Scout Troop. We really enjoyed it.

• + New Posts