NeoAir Xlite as UQ on flip-flop hike

I'm going to start a flip-flop thru-hike of the AT in mid-April at Harpers Ferry. I think that I'll probably stay in shelters most of the time provided that they're not too crowded or rowdy and will use my Warbonnet Blackbird as a backup. As such I'm not so keen on buying a UQ if I can get by with just a sleeping pad (or two). I've got a Thermarest NeoAir Xlite and will have a 20-degree top quilt. But I've not been able to try out that combination due to the lack of really cold weather in Atlanta, here where I live. Nor am I really sure what kind of temps I'll experience on my hike. Any thoughts?

I also have a Warbonnet Edge tarp and wondered if that would be enough or if I should get something with doors.

Thanks for your help and advice.

Steve

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    We are also planning a southbound circuit hike starting at Harper's in April. I will be using either my Luke's 90 degree hammock or my Warbonnet Ridgerunner. I have experimented extensively with a Exped Downmat UL 7 LW and it will work for the temperatures encountered on the AT during the time of our hike. However, both of these hammocks are designed to be used with an inflatable pad. I'm not so sure about the WBBB? Although from comments I've read, If it isn't a double layered hammock you can forget it. Also if it is a regular size, i.e. 20x72 I wouldn't recommend it. A wide pad is really better pad option.

The other options I am currently testing that work well is a 3/4 Arrowhead Ridgecreek with a Sea to Summit Large Comfort Light. At the experimental temperatures of 35F to 40F the S2S isn't warm enough by itself (it is rated at an R of 4.2). However, it packs up faster and smaller than the Downmat and is comfortable on the ground. I am also counting on temperatures warming up as spring progresses. Tonight I will be testing a DIY Costco down UQ with a Thermarest Ridgerest that I would be using for the ground excursions. Either of the UQ are warm by themselves, I just need to come up with the appropriate minimal pad to work with them.

Having said all that, I may end up just taking the Downmat UL 7 LW. I am very much in the testing and deciding stage by sleeping in the hammocks almost every night with different combinations.

I've been using a NeoAir Xlite in a single layer hammock successfully down to about freezing with a 20 degree Burrow top quilt. It is a large 25" wide cut down and resealed to torso size and is comfortable enough, certainly much more comfortable than the ground. It weighs 11.3 oz and I use it in conjunction with a SitLight pad in the footbox .

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Last nights test, actually the last two nights test, of the Costco DIY UQ and Thermarest 3/4 ridgerest were very successful. I was warm and comfortable with the temperatures around 37. Tonight the Arrowhead Ridgecreek 3/4 UQ combined with the TR 3/4 ridgerest is up for a go.

Hammock
    HHBPUL, DD Frontline
    Tarp
    Stock Hennessy Tar
    Insulation
    Exped 9 DLX
    Suspension
    Big Butt Whoopies
    I have heard good things about the Klymit Insulated Static V especially in regards to hammock use. Apparently the V shape curves along the hammock length better than mats with baffles running lengthwise. It is also wider and has a higher RValue then the neoair (23 vs 20 inches and 4.4 vs 3.2) . Pack size is 8x5 vs9 x 4. Of course it also happens to be heavier , cuase het, ain't none of us perfect!

Glad I could further confuse the issue for you.

Even though you can't test the temperature ratings you could test the comfort in your hammock and decide how much to inflate, how to position etc. I found that my shoulders and knees (side sleeper, fetal) got cold as the hammock wrapped around you beyond where the pads reached . It was necessary to use clothing and or pieces of CCF to make 'T' shape with the mat. I had an Exped Downmat DLX and am 6'1- or 2' and 195 lbs.
    Hangin' High and Dry

• + New Posts