Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle Long
    Tarp
    HH stock (diamond)
    Insulation
    Incubator+Renegade
    Suspension
    huggers & whoopies

UGQ Renegade + HG Incubator = BAREFOOT COMFORT!

I've finally had a chance to field test my new gear, so here's my report on my new setup.
    My hammock is the Hennessey Deep Jungle XL. I use the original diamond tarp, which saves weight and has always kept me dry.

First up is my new HammockGear 0* Incubator UQ. I thought that I slept well in my hammock with a pad in the double layer bottom. However, in the first night with the Incubator, I realized what a full night's sleep was really all about! I didn't shift or turn and didn't wake up at all during the night. The temp was only about 50, so it wasn't a real test of the insulation, but the comfort level was clearly improved (a bonus I didn't realize was possible!) with a nice underquilt.

Next up was the addition of an UnderGroundQuilts 0* Renegade TQ. This is their new model with radial baffles around the foot box and vertical baffles on the body section, and IT IS WONDERFUL. I have always had trouble with cold feet, so I chose the sewn footbox had the footbox overstuffed with an extra ounce of down. The first weekend out provided temps down to about 30* and I was toasty warm. I was using a North Face 0* sleeping bag and always had to wear wool socks and put my jacket around the footbox. With the Renegade TQ, I slept BAREFOOT and my toes were completely warm all night!

That first weekend, I did feel a slight (temporary) cooling in my UQ when the wind blew through, so I added an UQP from 2QZQ to my rig. The next weekend (snowmageddon) I got shut out of the Mt. Rogers Hang, so went out locally to get my fix. Temp went down to about 15* with intermittent wind. With the UQP, I never felt any cooling when the wind blew. With the Incubator & Renegade, I was again toasty warm while wearing only boxers & a t-shirt (again, NO SOCKS NEEDED).

I also forgot to mention that I got a down beanie from UGQ to cover my head since I'm not using a mummy bag anymore - comfy & warm!

I am now COMPLETELY SATISFIED that I have a winter setup that will handle anything I may face. With the addition of a base layer and/or SB liner, I'm sure I could be comfortable well below zero. And because it's all lightweight and compressible down, I can put it all in my pack and head down the trail all winter long! Life just keeps getting better!

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    That's a great report. Congratulations on a Winter setup you enjoy.

Now, you can use your NF SB as a pod system and go down to -40*F and hang with Shug and Strung Out.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    0° Zepp/Ren...UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware bb sus
    Images
    Welcome to the UGQ club! I've got a 0° Renegade TQ with Full Zepplin UQ, both 5oz overstuffed.
    Been down to 2°F with no wind, and 13°F with 30mph wind, gusting to 40, under a WL Bullfrog tarp in storm mode. Had some minor cold spots in the wind but nothing serious, and I have a mummy with me to add a layer if needed if I find the limit. Not sure we'll get there here this winter (for once)

• + New Posts